+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6258Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

AZ,"Sparkly Stuff", AZ, you are my kind of girl!. You and I were both wives and moms right out of High School and had a different kind of maturing than we've been reading here with those who went to college. I still proudly call myself "working class" though that distinction does not mean the same today. Many of our HS classmates also married early. It was the '60s and, as women, we had less opportunities than we have been able to give our children and now our grandchildren. My kudos to you and your sweetie pie for making your young commitment work for 50 years!

I am sure that fellow posters who have had the experience of college that we did not have can appreciate that we (and others here) have had the early experience of raising children and running a household without a degree. And it is self-evident that those of us here who might not have a degree have not stopped learning. I would not take away from those who have had the advantage of post-HS education, but I felt left out of the discussion earlier. (How dare you!) :>)

Damned you college people! (Wanna' have a crossword puzzle challenge?) LOL

OK, OK, I'll stop drinking and posting. Hic!

(You and me, AZ! Hic!)

Mr. (Not so) Perfect Snake 3D Champion, Bouncing Balls Champion

It is so disheartening, when I know that somebody I messaged on the dating site wanting to talk to her, ignored me, apparently deleted my messages and possibly blocked me from messaging her again. Is it something to take personally?

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen View Post

I never cut class, BTW, because I was very well aware of the pricetag and how many hours I had to work in order to take those classes.
    When I went back to college, I paid my own way and had calculated how much each class meeting cost me. I was horrified to see so many young people goof off and take it for granted. I saw kids texting, sleeping, talking on their cell phones, CHEATING. I wished I could call their parents and tattle on them! It made me so sad because they clearly didn't have any appreciation of how lucky they were.

AZ - my parents loved their Alaskan cruise on Princess! I'm sure you will too!
    Ellen likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyK View Post
    It is so disheartening, when I know that somebody I messaged on the dating site wanting to talk to her, ignored me, apparently deleted my messages and possibly blocked me from messaging her again. Is it something to take personally?
    Women on dating websites receive tons of fishing emails. Men will write flattering emails and copy them in mass to just about every female they can. You do not know who these people are on dating websites. I would not take it personally. I would just know to avoid that one, and be mindful of the environment you are in.
    Kip likes this.
    You can do it!

FORT Koffee Klatch

Quote Originally Posted by Punkin View Post
    ...You and I were both wives and moms right out of High School and had a different kind of maturing than we've been reading here with those who went to college. I still proudly call myself "working class" though that distinction does not mean the same today. Many of our HS classmates also married early. It was the '60s and, as women, we had less opportunities than we have been able to give our children and now our grandchildren.
    I got married and had kids right out of high school. I am VERY thankful for my husband, who was willing to work multiple jobs so I could also get through college. There was absolutely no partying during my college years because I was far too busy with homework and my sons (we had two before I was done with school). However, this was the 90s so there were no social barriers standing in my way!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by ClosetRTWatcher; 01-22-2014 at 12:02 AM.
    Punkin and Kip like this.

College - loved the year I went, but wasted all my time and money. And I was paying for the bulk, minus a small scholarship. I was too immature. My cousin could have all his schooling paid but also wasted his opportunity. He eventually went back and had to pay for himself. He's now a VP at his company. His sister, however, was serious, so all her college was paid for.

Debb70 - maybe the grandmother is not too maternal (grand-maternal?) While I'm not very maternal, I love my daughter, but I could picture myself being that kind of grandmother. I'm not that into kids. I care a bit more about nieces, nephews, and best friends' kids but really could take or leave them.

CantGetNuf - I have a friend whose children lived with her as young adults (til age 25). They tried to explain to their kids that it wasn't nosiness that prompted them to ask where they were going, and what time they'd be home, but a general respect issue. She says the thing that got through to them was when she and her husband stayed out very late one night - without telling the "kids" where they were going, or when they'd be home. The kids were worried, and the lesson was learned.
    PGM35 likes this.

I was lucky enough to have my parents pay for my college education so came away from it with no loans hanging over my head. I was an art major and have had people actually say things to me like "rich kid major". Well, we weren't rich and I'm an art teacher now, so it paid off. I loved my college years. I went to NAU in Flagstaff, AZ after growing up in OH, so I went way away from home. I was a wild child and needed to get out on my own. I graduated a year early at 17 and finished college at 20. My parents and I would have driven each other crazy if I had lived at home another minute.
    Count your blessings!

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    When I went back to college, I paid my own way and had calculated how much each class meeting cost me. I was horrified to see so many young people goof off and take it for granted. I saw kids texting, sleeping, talking on their cell phones, CHEATING. I wished I could call their parents and tattle on them! It made me so sad because they clearly didn't have any appreciation of how lucky they were.

AZ - my parents loved their Alaskan cruise on Princess! I'm sure you will too!
    I have been able to accumulate the equivalent of 3 years of college credits over the years . . . and actually graduated from community college at age 38, and got a scholarship to continue on for a full degree at an affiliated school. Finished one year of that, and then we moved across the country and between one thing and another, I never went back. And I've always regretted it as the one major thing I didn't finish in my life.

This will be our third Alaskan cruise on Princess, and we've also done one on Holland America. So I'm pretty sure I'll love it!
    Punkin and inthegarden like this.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Punkin View Post
    AZ,"Sparkly Stuff", AZ, you are my kind of girl!. You and I were both wives and moms right out of High School and had a different kind of maturing than we've been reading here with those who went to college. I still proudly call myself "working class" though that distinction does not mean the same today. Many of our HS classmates also married early. It was the '60s and, as women, we had less opportunities than we have been able to give our children and now our grandchildren. My kudos to you and your sweetie pie for making your young commitment work for 50 years!

I am sure that fellow posters who have had the experience of college that we did not have can appreciate that we (and others here) have had the early experience of raising children and running a household without a degree. And it is self-evident that those of us here who might not have a degree have not stopped learning. I would not take away from those who have had the advantage of post-HS education, but I felt left out of the discussion earlier. (How dare you!) :>)

Damned you college people! (Wanna' have a crossword puzzle challenge?) LOL

OK, OK, I'll stop drinking and posting. Hic!

(You and me, AZ! Hic!)

I think that ALL education is important and to be treasured! I've always loved learning...period. I have learned as much from my non-college friends as I have from my formal education, and have never hesitated to go to them and let them know. I'm just glad that I did not take their path; I was not cut out for it. Everything is not for everybody, and that's OK. I envy people with knowledge that I don't have and I listen to them and pick their brains.

And.....COUNT ME IN ON THAT CROSSWORD PUZZLE CHALLENGE!!! Heck....I even taught myself that skill....I'd sit up in the bed in the afternoons with books all around me, figuring out answers and how it all worked, going from book to book....thus, an addict was born!!! I've always loved words, so it was a natural fit.

And, about cutting class, you were given a certain amount of days that you HAD to show up, which left a little play in the number of times you could be absent. I was there, more than not, but I definitely took advantage of the elasticity of the schedule. The school understood that not everybody could get there Everyday, under normal circumstances.
    Last edited by prhoshay; 01-22-2014 at 09:06 AM.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Ten Pin Bowling Champion, Bookworm Champion Eastcoastmom's Avatar

Punkin, you're adorable. Your posts never fail to elicit a smile from me.

AZ, sounds like you've got quite a celebratory year going on. Congrats on 50 years of matrimony...that is quite an accomplishment. I've never done Princess line but we did fly to Vancouver to take Norwegian's cruise to Alaska. Loved it and loved Vancouver from the little bit we saw of it on the way to the pier. I want to go back. Alaska is seriously beautiful... I wish we'd combined the land package of Denali National Park with the cruise but we didn't.

I grew up in suburbia, about a 45 minute drive from NYC, but a very, very small village. Absolutely zero diversity. I was itching to get out of town. I am a December baby so I was a college freshman at 17. Was not much into partying but did the usual amount once I turned 18. 18 was the legal age then. I was such a goody two shoes that I never had a phony ID or anything like that to get into bars. My family was middle class and took out loans to pay for my education. I attended a state school and was lucky not to have any loans to pay off. Like Gutmutter, I graduated a year early, at 20. I worked my tail off in school, sometimes taking 20 credits per semester and I did go to school one summer to take 2 classes to get out early. I loved attending college and being on my own and meeting people from all different walks of life. I wouldn't trade that experience for the world. My younger sis opted to go to community college and finish out her degree at a local private Catholic college. It's funny because of the 2, I was closest to my mom, but yet, felt the need to go away and stretch my wings. My eldest son went away to school and it was the best thing for all of us. He was a good kid, not one to get into trouble, but we always butted heads. If I said 'left', he said 'right', just to be contrary. Within a year I could not believe how much growing up he did. He appreciated the sacrifices his father and I made so that he could attend school, loan-free. He saw how his friends were struggling to pay their car insurance, pay tuition or room and board. The only thing his dad and I asked of him was that he be serious about school. I didn't even want him to work off or on campus part-time, not that there is anything wrong with that. Just focus on school and get out on time. He did work full time every summer for personal expenses, which is what I did as well. I guess going away to school is not for everybody, but I enjoyed the experience immensely.
    prhoshay and inthegarden like this.

+ Reply to Thread