+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5930Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Living on campus in a dorm for ONE year taught me many valuable lessons. I honestly felt like if I could get through that, I could get through anything. My roommate was a rich kid who got anything she wanted and she and her group drank and partied ALL the time, except for the night before her court case when her dad was in town. It would be funny if it wasn't so sad. I had other friends who liked to study a lot like I did. The next year, we got an apt together. That was heaven!

Change of subject.
    Can any of you think of a reason that a grandmother would not show any interest in her only grandchild? The child is precious and only 4 years old. The child is likely going to grow up and not know who her grandmother is. I'm trying to wrap my brain around it. There isn't any kind of violence, drug abuse, etc. that would keep the grandmother away. The adult child who is the parent of the grandchild is on speaking terms with the grandmother and there are no big arguments that have taken place. She lives only a few miles from the child.

No one seems to understand why grandmother just shows no interest in seeing the precious child. No phone calls, visits, cards, gifts, visits, etc. Never even calls to see how she is doing. I just can't understand. It's so sad to grow up without being close to your granny. So sad.
    Last edited by Debb70; 01-21-2014 at 01:29 PM.
    CantGetNuf likes this.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Renting the college books is really wonderful!!! That is a monster cost. I am surprised that all schools haven't gone to having their books on electronic readers. Wonder what that would cost? I HATED lugging books around in college....heck, even in high school.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    Can any of you think of a reason that a grandmother would not show any interest in her only grandchild? The child is precious and only 4 years old. The child is likely going to grow up and not know who her grandmother is. I'm trying to wrap my brain around it.
    I can't think of a one. Honest to God. There is not one reason I wouldn't want to be involved in all of my grandchildren's lives. Justin will wear on my nerves at times. Reminds me of being a mother. Those times I yell for his parents, or one of the many other homeless people wandering my house, to come and get him. That is the absolute best thing about being the "grand".

When I only had my oldest son, the thought of being able to love another child as much as I loved him, seemed impossible. When I thought about having other children I felt bad for them that I could never love them like I did him. Until I got pregnant. Then I understood that we aren't born with a limited amount of love. When I found out I was going to be a grandmother I wasn't the least bit excited. My dil was only 16 and not someone I liked. The whole circumstance was worst case scenario. Then they put him in my arms. I was absolutely blown away. I had never experienced such a pure sweet love. Even with my own kids. I learned that everything I had ever heard about being a grandparent was TRUE!!! Right now I want more then anything to move to CA to be closer to my family. My husband wants it too. But we can't. Because not being around our grandchildren is absolutely unacceptable.
    "You better watch your mouth sunshine."-Daryl Dixon

My ex's mother was that type of grandmother. She just didn't want to be a grandmother.

I don't understand parents of college kids who send their kids to what they feel is a popular or name dropper college regardless of the cost. Who cares if they learn anything they just want to be able to say their kids graduated from "_____" college.
    ClosetRTWatcher likes this.

I wonder what kind of a mother this 'grandmother' was? It seems against nature to refuse your grandchild. Most of go all nutty over them. I know I and everyone I know did! I would guess her daughter would be the one to best figure out what is wrong. Surely she asks her mother why she ignores the child.
    CantGetNuf likes this.

It is a challenge living with adult children. I still don't sleep well when they are out at night. I don't like feeling like the house is a train station. The days I don't make enough food are the days they turn up for supper and the days I make extra they don't turn up. We tried calendars on the fridge but classes get canceled or unexpected projects turn up.
    Punkin, CantGetNuf and inthegarden like this.
    That was a great message! And I've had a terrible day, so thank you.I love random acts of kindness.Really, realy appreciated.Scott- RIP SDL<3

Quote Originally Posted by tbamom View Post
    It is a challenge living with adult children. I still don't sleep well when they are out at night. I don't like feeling like the house is a train station. The days I don't make enough food are the days they turn up for supper and the days I make extra they don't turn up. We tried calendars on the fridge but classes get canceled or unexpected projects turn up.
    My kids don't get it. When I ask where are they going, I really don't give a darn where they are going, who they're going to see, or when they are getting back. I just want to know if I should shut the house down at night or leave lights on for them, should I plan on them being here for meals, and at what point should I file a missing person report. lol But they act like I am all up in their bidnezz. They sneak out if they can. If I do catch them, they say, "We're just going to her moms for awhile. We'll be right back." Not to be seen again for days. I don't know what their deal is with that.
    And I ask them for common courtesy. If your going to the store let me know. I might need something. I guess they thought that meant I would want them to pay for my stuff too. So they still show up with bags from a store I needed something from. I swear they got to get out soon.
    "You better watch your mouth sunshine."-Daryl Dixon

Quote Originally Posted by tbamom View Post
    When my son was in College was when I was in the process of divorce. It was just him & me at the time. We went throught the above situation for a short time. We had a talk that the house rules were the same as before regarding other people at the house & letting me know his comings & goings so I wouldn't worry.

As to the supper thing, I also would get upset if I cooked & he either didn't come home for it, or said he had plans, or said "I already ate". When I didn't, it never failed, I'd get the "what's for supper?" So we had another sit down talk. We decided that if it wasn't planned ahead of time, he wouldn't expect any supper waiting for him & I wouldn't expect him there. If I wanted to cook, I'd do so, but mainly for myself. If there was plenty, he'd have leftovers to warm up. If he was going to be there for supper, he'd tell me & I'd cook accordingly. If I felt like cooking something big like a roast or Crock Pot, I'd tell him & arrange a day he'd be there.

It all worked out quite well. No one was dissappointed or upset. Communication was the key.
    CantGetNuf, Kip and tbamom like this.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

Quote Originally Posted by CantGetNuf View Post
    My kids don't get it. When I ask where are they going, I really don't give a darn where they are going, who they're going to see, or when they are getting back. I just want to know if I should shut the house down at night or leave lights on for them, should I plan on them being here for meals, and at what point should I file a missing person report. lol But they act like I am all up in their bidnezz. They sneak out if they can. If I do catch them, they say, "We're just going to her moms for awhile. We'll be right back." Not to be seen again for days. I don't know what their deal is with that.
    And I ask them for common courtesy. If your going to the store let me know. I might need something. I guess they thought that meant I would want them to pay for my stuff too. So they still show up with bags from a store I needed something from. I swear they got to get out soon.
    Do you have a time frame?
    That was a great message! And I've had a terrible day, so thank you.I love random acts of kindness.Really, realy appreciated.Scott- RIP SDL<3

The grandmother is the mother of an adult son. He's a good young man. He works hard, doesn't drink, drugs or act violent. Works on local charities. Is with the mother and they both try to do their best. They are making it without money from grandmother. He admits he doesn't understand it either. I guess somethings are just a mystery.

+ Reply to Thread