+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6239Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

I just watched this man sing Say Something I am giving UP on you (without Christina Aguilera) on Good Morning America. When i saw it with christina I thought it was just depressing. Today it brought tears to my eyes. I think it is about divorce. The only way to maintained peace given differences is divorce, but I would have followed him out of idealic love. And now i just hope he knows enough to keep himself out of trouble.
    You can do it!

I went to a local university, but I chose to move out on my own. Apartment no dorms. Apartments were less expensive than the dorms I think because of the dorm meals (which were pretty disgusting, like high-school cafeterias in the '70s) which jacked up the price. Luckily, my university was in a part of town with convenient access to organic co-ops.

BTW, I worked and paid my own way tuition, books, rent, etc. through university, with a patchwork of small grants, loans, and performance-based scholarships. My parents let me know early on that there was no college fund, so moving out (and not being claimed as a dependant) was crucial for my making ends meet, because of financial aid requirements.

I never cut class, BTW, because I was very well aware of the pricetag and how many hours I had to work in order to take those classes. My grades didn't suffer, even though I worked outside jobs full-time as a full-time student (straight out of high school, not as a "returning adult"). And I had a decent social life with extracurriculars, even holding office. I graduated with honors and was accepted into Phi Beta Kappa in my junior year.

Was it tough? Yup. I didn't sleep much.

Looking back, I wouldn't change a thing.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

We initially planned that he would live at home and go to college locally. However, he started looking into a college he was interested in a few hours away and decided that he would rather strike out on his own. The college he is attending is part of the University of Wisconsin system and is very reasonable by today's standards. It was half of what they are charging at the University of Minnesota, but it is still MUCH higher than it was when I was in college! We are helping him out as much as we can along the way.

So far I think it has been very good for him!!
    Ellen and CantGetNuf like this.

The costs of books alone. OMG
    You can do it!

The college he is attending is part of the University of Wisconsin system and is very reasonable by today's standards.
    Me, too! I'm a UW-Milwaukee alum.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

I'm going through a very strange empty nest syndrome. I was down to one child left at home when suddenly both sons show back up, one dragging his wife and son. The other with his gf. I'm telling you it doesn't do to throw them out because they just come back and they bring more with them.
    So why am I suffering "empty nest" when my nest is so full? Because none of the fledglings want to listen to me anymore. I still have all of the wisdom but none of the power. If I'm driving with my sons and I say, "Watch out for that truck." they don't take it as me being courteous and pointing out a potential danger. They take it as an insult. What they hear is I don't think they know how to drive. Now add that to every single thing that comes out of my mouth. Let me say, "Oh did you add onions to that? Interesting." What they hear, "Oh you just ruined dinner." Let me ask, "What's wrong with your car?" What they hear, "Why can't you take care of your stuff?" It is wearing on me. I can't wait until they move back out and I can love them again without wanting to beat them over the head. :ROFL
    "You better watch your mouth sunshine."-Daryl Dixon

My daughter and I were just talking about school and college yesterday. I would have paid for 4 years of college but told her she had to make good grades or it was a no go. She sluffed off I stopped paying and now she sees she should have applied herself and took the free ride. She is back in school but this time she is a mom to 3 boys and a husband and it is so much harder to do. She has her associates degree working on her bachelors. Thankfully she has been able to get grants and she does a lot of it online. BTW she was living on her own in one of my rentals when she sluffed off but would have been better off at home and at least she might have done better in her grades. You live and learn when you are young.
    You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to.

Quote Originally Posted by CantGetNuf View Post
    I'm going through a very strange empty nest syndrome. I was down to one child left at home when suddenly both sons show back up, one dragging his wife and son. The other with his gf. I'm telling you it doesn't do to throw them out because they just come back and they bring more with them.
    So why am I suffering "empty nest" when my nest is so full? Because none of the fledglings want to listen to me anymore. I still have all of the wisdom but none of the power. If I'm driving with my sons and I say, "Watch out for that truck." they don't take it as me being courteous and pointing out a potential danger. They take it as an insult. What they hear is I don't think they know how to drive. Now add that to every single thing that comes out of my mouth. Let me say, "Oh did you add onions to that? Interesting." What they hear, "Oh you just ruined dinner." Let me ask, "What's wrong with your car?" What they hear, "Why can't you take care of your stuff?" It is wearing on me. I can't wait until they move back out and I can love them again without wanting to beat them over the head. :ROFL

I love my children, but to have them live with me again, one of us would end up losing it. My son and I are very much alike, that's fine ( and fun)when we visit, but under the same roof arghhhhhh
    CantGetNuf likes this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

It seems like boys come back more than girls do, but maybe I'm saying that because I have a son. So far, he hasn't bounced back! One of the good things about the offspring leaving home and learning to be independent is that I know that I can die with a relaxed conscience because I know he can take care of himself.....he has the life skills.....well, maybe except for the cooking, but he will at least try and I did give him that super-basic cookbook for Christmas.

It's one of those "how to boil an egg" kind of books.

My work here is done!!
    PGM35 likes this.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by Lizard View Post
    The costs of books alone. OMG
    We were VERY pleasantly surprised when we found out that our son doesn't have to buy ANY books! The UW system uses a "book rental" system where they check out books at the beginning of the semester and turn them in at the end. I had never heard of this type of system until we visited the campus! There is a fee included in their tuition for this, but it is a fraction of what books cost. It maxes out at $82.50 per semester!

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen View Post
    Me, too! I'm a UW-Milwaukee alum.
    Our son is in Platteville. MUCH smaller campus, but he prefers it that way. He has always attended school in a small district, so even a smaller campus is a huge change! On the other hand it is in the middle of nowhere and has atrocious cell service. Pros and cons to everything!

Regarding "bouncing back", our oldest son is 20 and is working instead of going to school. We finally got him to move out about 6 weeks ago. He better not bounce back home because (although I love him dearly) I don't think I could handle living with him again!!
    Last edited by ClosetRTWatcher; 01-21-2014 at 12:50 PM.
    prhoshay likes this.

+ Reply to Thread