+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6435Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

That's a tough one. My husband and I had seen a reputable news show (Can't remember which one.) that said people are developing tumors where they put their cell phone against their body. But doing a google search on it, it seems no one knows for sure. There are reputable sources saying yes and reputable sources saying no. I get mad at my daughter because she keeps hers in her back pocket or in the front of her waist band. I told her she might think that's a good idea until they're cutting a tumor out of that butt she's so proud of. I about freaked out on her a couple of weeks ago when I saw it in her waistband again. Her grandmother had cervical cancer. I tell my daughter maybe the phone doesn't cause cancer, even though I think it does, but why risk it when she might already be at risk. I know I'm about to sound like a conspiracy theorist but my fear is even if they do find that it causes cancer the phone companies will pay huge money to keep that quiet. And I believe the whole world can be bought.
    ArchieComic Fan likes this.
    "You better watch your mouth sunshine."-Daryl Dixon

There are some good purses available at Ross just about every day...I saw a parent whip her phone out of her bra last year and it made me cringe...parents did not teach that behavior. Our phones were attached to wall in that childs early life.
    Punkin likes this.

When I'm buying gas, I tuck my credit card into the edge of my shirt at the top of my bra for as long as it takes to pump gas if I don't have a pocket, but only until I get back in the car. My daughters have put their phones in their bra in the past. I nagged at them every time I saw it. I don't know if they still do it.
    Count your blessings!

I used to carry my phone in my bra at times when I was expecting a call that was very important. Other times I would keep it in my purse. THEN I saw the story on tv about the girl who got cancer the same spot as she carried her phone. I stopped. I never carry it on my person at all.

I will confess that over the holidays I carried my credit card in my bra. With all the stealing and robbery, I was scared someone might grab and run with my purse. I left no valuables in it. I can't keep anything in a pocket. Things just disappear.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Lil Bit, since you are trapped in an environment where you deal with the public, I know that you KNOW that when you have regular customers, a lot of them tend to have their preferred reps that they want to deal with every time they come in and, unfortunately, you become overly familiar with their quirks. It's funny....but it's not. You MUST be a people person because not everybody can deal with conditions like that. Thank goodness for people like you!

I, too, am a people person and prided myself on my talent for dealing with people I didn't want to deal with, out of necessity. Too bad they don't pay commission for each person who decides WE are the ones for them. I had to change my mindset to one that said that I was there to help these people and try to make their days easier, and not to harass them and act like they were an imposition for me. I had to repeat these words to myself, "Job security, job security, job security." I used to look around at my immature co-workers who seemed to take some perverse pleasure in taking out their personal frustrations on the clientele; that just made their work days harder and longer. Since the ONLY thing I could control is MY attitude, I decided to make my life as easy as possible.

When all else fails, I say if you (not YOU, personally) are really that unhappy, you should quit your job and find something that is a better fit for you! All jobs are not for all people! Luckily, I found MY niche.
    ClosetRTWatcher likes this.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

IMO, retail shop owners/managers are doing a poor job of training their employees in one particular area.

Even if the store has NO customers (or if you're working one of those carts in the middle of the mall, even if the mall is not very busy) employees should NOT be on their phones texting. Employees need to be trained to make eye contact and look pleasantly at passersby.

More and more frequently, I've gone into small stores with one employee who is either texting or (as I saw the other night) using a laptop to do homework. This past Saturday evening, I went into a costume jewelry store to look for a couple of specific pieces. The young lady at the counter was on a computer. She never greeted us when we walked into the store, never asked if she could help us . . . nothing. The same thing happened with two other couples who walked in while I was still in the store. At one point, I was in a position where I could see the screen of her laptop. It was a map of the United States, which wasn't something that seemed to fit into her job of selling costume jewelry, so I assume she was doing homework.

We left with no recognition on her part that we had ever been there. Also with no new jewelry.

In my younger days, I worked retail. My job was to take care of customers, not to ignore them.

I think what you have addressed is more about immaturity and is also a huge matter of personal responsibility on the workers' parts. You can't force somebody to be interested or have a different personality. Once your so called "training" is over, it's up to you if they leave you on your own....just like your children, at home.

I did my short stint in retail, but it didn't seem to be for me; it was over Christmas holiday, from college. Once was enough, for me!
    AZChristian likes this.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

Yes, I think that's a large part of it. Lots of companies these days are telling employees (even in offices) to keep their personal phones put away during business hours. For many of them, supervisors are on site and employees know they can be seen. These folks don't seem to understand that they're there to work, not to text. I've also heard that the first line of defense against shoplifters is greeting each customer as they walk in the store so they know that the clerk is attentive.

It's not the end of the world . . . but it's annoying as a customer to be totally ignored.
    prhoshay likes this.

CCL

I have the opposite problem - they're always trailing me around and if I happen to touch an object they go into a spiel about how fabulous it is and seem to want my life story. There has to be a happy medium between ignoring the customer and stalking them.
    I don't have a cell phone so carrying is not a concern for me. I've seen people carry money in their bra but not a cell phone. That's ...an interesting place to keep it.
    AZChristian likes this.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

I've heard the bra referred to as "my purse".

It shocked the heck out of me when I saw my best friend reach down in "her purse"!! I thought that was an activity from another time...long, long ago...but, apparently, not!

+ Reply to Thread