+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6433Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Ellen I was wondering how much it would run out of pocket. 250 is out of the question for me too. Have you asked your Dr how much he would charge? And I wondered if the health department are giving them.

Arielflies I almost think I'd rather have the skunk. Your neighbor is pretty brave. I'm scared of strange tame dogs. I would be terrified if I saw a coyote or wolf.
    "You better watch your mouth sunshine."-Daryl Dixon

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

My mother was definitely younger than 60 when she got shingles. The age required for my insurer is 50.

The flu shot doesn't cover ALL flu strains, and you could pick up a flu not included in the concoction. H1N1 is definitely included in this vaccination, if I recall correctly; H1N1 is causing trouble this season. They keep telling people that they can still get vaccinated against flu, even now.

With my insurer, they gave you the shot free up to a certain date. Don't exactly know what that was about, but I made the deadline. I think I got mine at the end of September.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I just got the shingles vaccine. Once I figure out what it cost, I can let you know, Ellen. They told me that it reduces the chances of getting shingles by 51%. I have had a few friends get shingles and it made an impression on me how long they were hurting and how bad it was so I decided to get it. I have never had a flu shot. I work with over 400 children and we sometimes gets lots of sick people at school, but so far (knock on wood) I have only missed about 5 days of work due to sinus infections in 24 years. I missed some other days when I broke my ankle and again when I had ankle surgery. I sort of feel like I get immunotherapy in my job with all the germs I am around in the library on the books, computers, countertops, etc. I do wash my hands about 10 times a day and keep them away from my face, too.

Quote Originally Posted by PA Snow Bunny View Post
    Has anyone on here ever had shingles? I am suffering & any help/suggestions would be appreciated.
    My son had them a few years ago. Did you get the anti-viral? It doesn't stop the shingles but it goes cut down on the severity a bit. I am sorry you are suffering.
    That was a great message! And I've had a terrible day, so thank you.I love random acts of kindness.Really, realy appreciated.Scott- RIP SDL<3

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PA Snow Bunny View Post
    Has anyone on here ever had shingles? I am suffering & any help/suggestions would be appreciated.
    What does your doctor advise? Have you talked to a medical professional?
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    My mother was definitely younger than 60 when she got shingles. The age required for my insurer is 50.

The flu shot doesn't cover ALL flu strains, and you could pick up a flu not included in the concoction. H1N1 is definitely included in this vaccination, if I recall correctly; H1N1 is causing trouble this season. They keep telling people that they can still get vaccinated against flu, even now.

With my insurer, they gave you the shot free up to a certain date. Don't exactly know what that was about, but I made the deadline. I think I got mine at the end of September.
    Yes the researchers try and predict which strains will be prevalent from one flu season to the next and they make a vaccine based on that. This current one covers H1N1, H3N2, and 2 Influenza B strains. There are other flu viruses and other viruses out there. Some people mistakenly use the word "flu" to cover any virus (including stomach viruses). My son is doing graduate work in population health and infection control and he said the big thing in promoting the flu shot is to encourage people to think about who they are protecting by getting the shot. Yes, you are protected but if you don't get sick then all the weaker people in your life are better off, too. Your elderly parents, your infant etc. This particular flu hits young adults to middle aged people extra hard.
    Ellen likes this.
    That was a great message! And I've had a terrible day, so thank you.I love random acts of kindness.Really, realy appreciated.Scott- RIP SDL<3

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

Coyotes are sighted pretty frequently around here. Our community backs up onto an Indian reservation (lots of open land), and you have to be careful driving down the road on the edge of the rez because there are often coyotes trying to get into the housing development for food (cats and dogs mostly).

We had a skunk who tried to set up housekeeping in a crawl space between our storage shed and our house. We saw him walking "home" across the back yard several times. Since we had a dog, this was NOT a good idea. So we put some extra edging around our gate opening so Mr. Skunk couldn't get under the gate, and haven't seen him since, thank goodness.

A couple of years ago, a juvenile brown bear followed the irrigation canal along the rez boundary. He hopped the fence at the end of our street and was wandering the neighborhood. We got an emergency e-mail from the Security Patrol in our HOA, advising us to be cautious when opening our garage doors. Later that morning I turned on the local Phoenix noon news. Imagine my surprise when they had a shot from a helicopter which was showing MY HOUSE from the air . . . and then I realized that it was a live shot, because the helicopter was circling my house! I stayed in the house and kept our Yorkie in all day, unless I went out with her on a leash. Several hours later there was a knock on my front door. It was TWO animal control officers with tranquilizer guns who wanted permission to go into my back yard because the bear had been spotted there. You bet I gave them permission! They finally shot it with the tranq darts in the yard behind ours, and it dropped about 50 feet away from our fence. I never saw the bear, but there were obvious footprints in the rock landscaping in our back yard.

And I live in the suburbs . . . not in a rural area. LOL.
    Photobabe and Fanny Mare like this.

I have a resident skunk and a pack of coyotes that live over in the back of our land. At night you can hear them howling big time.
    AZChristian likes this.
    You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to.

Time to Come Back, Boys Arielflies's Avatar

What surprised me about the coyote is that Costa Mesa is almost at the ocean, not in the foothills or backed up to a wild lands. We are part of the cement jungle with a few trees and parks scattered about. Then I heard that a pack (probably small) had been spotted in a neighborhood across a wide street from us. We have Opossum and squirrels - basically rodents, but nothing larger of the wild variety.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

We had coyotes when we lived on the acreage, in a pack they scared the heck out of my dogs, come to think of it, they scared me as well
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

+ Reply to Thread