+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree7124Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Quote Originally Posted by Eastcoastmom View Post
    I'm sorry you are suffering with shingles, Snow Bunny. I did have a very mild case about 4 years ago. I wasn't in too much pain but it did take at least 2 months or longer for the lesions to fade away. I don't have any suggestions right now to alleviate the pain. Maybe an oatmeal bath for the itching?
    I didn't have any lesions ECM, just two very small things in my back, which is why we totally missed any signs,,
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Mare View Post
    I never even thought about it, but it was the stress of moving that brought mine on..I had no idea. She said I am immune now for 10 years , so I maybe will get the shot .I thought it was more than once you needed it though.She was surprised I got it, she said my immune system was always very good.

I am happy I didn't get the flu shot, my friend got hers and is so sick with the flu..yikes!!
    If you get sick after a flu shot it's because you already contracted a virus. The shot is not completely effective until after 2 weeks.

The strain on the healthcare system in this province from people sick with the flu is beyond awful. I'm in healthcare and my compassion is stretched past its limit. The damn vaccine has been available since October, people couldn't be bothered to get it when it was plentiful, the manufacturer stops production, then there's a flu outbreak and people are screaming they didn't "get a chance" to get vaccinated. So done with complainers and worse, anti-vaxxers. TEN PEOPLE have died in this province from H1N1 and that includes people who are not very young, very old, or who have compromised immune systems and/or chronic health conditions. Now hordes of un-vaccinated people with various types of colds and flu are overcrowding ERs and coming into contact with people who are immuno-compromised - including babies too young for any kind of vaccine.

Sorry for the rant, but after dealing with multitudes of sick people every single day, this is a very sore subject with me. Herd immunity is a very real thing but unless you actually see infants and small children who need emergency medical intervention because they're so sick they can't breathe without rasps and rattles in the chest and have fevers so high that tylenol barely moves the thermometer, many people don't seem to get it.
    Punkin, Ellen, CantGetNuf and 3 others like this.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

My friend has the flu now, and she had the shot in October. This happened last year, and the year before that. She is at a loss, and seems to blame the H1N1 shot for comprising her immunity three years ago.. I think the worst is over, and I googled what's in this shot..no thank you! I had a reaction years ago, my body said no, I listen to it.

I have seen kids with the flu, little germ machines, but most of the kids I know have had the shot, now they are saying they need 2( sigh)
    Baby's Breath likes this.
    -Andy Rooney-

I am so sorry to hear Snow Bunny has the shingles. I've heard it's so painful. Prayers for you and your recovery.

My next doctor visit and I will ask about the shingles vaccine. I really want to avoid it.

It's odd how people in my family not only resemble each other, but we have the same speech patterns and mannerisms. My dad's sister and couple of cousins and I share so much alike. I was around them a little as a child, but not that often. The aunt lived in Germany for years and I only saw her on holidays. Its is AMAZING how we use the same manner in our speech and our hands and make the same facial expresions. My dad doesn't, so I didn't get it from him. Neither did my grandparents. It has to be DNA, IMO.
    It's neat to watch though. It's like looking at a mirror. lol
    PGM35 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    I am so sorry to hear Snow Bunny has the shingles. I've heard it's so painful. Prayers for you and your recovery.

My next doctor visit and I will ask about the shingles vaccine. I really want to avoid it.

It's odd how people in my family not only resemble each other, but we have the same speech patterns and mannerisms. My dad's sister and couple of cousins and I share so much alike. I was around them a little as a child, but not that often. The aunt lived in Germany for years and I only saw her on holidays. Its is AMAZING how we use the same manner in our speech and our hands and make the same facial expresions. My dad doesn't, so I didn't get it from him. Neither did my grandparents. It has to be DNA, IMO.
    It's neat to watch though. It's like looking at a mirror. lol
    I have my mom's laugh. So did my brother. I don't think I sound at all like my mom, but yep, same laugh.

My cousin and I recently discovered that we both crack our hips and our jaws the same way. I didn't know anyone else cracked their hips like I do until she was standing in my kitchen and did it. Apparently, it's a genetic thing that our hips can crack like that. Who knew? I was happy to discover that a jaw cracking isn't nearly as loud for everyone else as it is for me. For me - and obviously, this is because it's right by my ear - it's REALLY loud sometimes.
    Debb70 likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by AZChristian View Post
    I always get a flu shot. I've also had the pneumonia shot, the shingles shot, and a tetanus booster.

If I catch something, it's never a mild case . . . I'm a big believer in preventative maintenance! And my doctor loves it.
    I didn't know there was a pneumonia shot, I have a friend that does get the flu shot, but usually gets a cold that goes to her chest( every year) I wonder if she got this shot it would help?? heck I don't know if they offer it,

Vaccines are never tested for safety (only whether they produce antibodies or similar), and there is very little history available on the newer vaccines, like for shingles. Safety is assumed and there's actually no basis for it. Effectiveness is also generally assumed, often without basis. (Excellent book on this - Dissolved Illusions by Suzanne Humphries - perhaps your library carries it.) I do understand the fear of getting a disease like shingles, so I hope I'm right not getting it.
    I will get that book, I am more likely to buy into that, than big pharma scares
    -Andy Rooney-

I had the chicken pox immunization when it was new to the U.S. After each one of the two shots, I was deathly ill.

Locally, a paramedic who had the flu shot a couple of months ago died of the flu last week.

I am going to start increasing my raw fruits as a way to up my health. When I was a raw foodist, I never ever got colds or anything....must be some chemical in it. I cannot do three meals, but I could do two raw meals.
    Fanny Mare likes this.
    You can do it!

My mom got the pneumonia shot. My husband has a horrible immune system and I am going to have him check into the shingles vaccine.

My husband gets the flu shot I never do and it has been years since I have had the flu.
    You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to.

Quote Originally Posted by nennie View Post
    My mom got the pneumonia shot. My husband has a horrible immune system and I am going to have him check into the shingles vaccine.

My husband gets the flu shot I never do and it has been years since I have had the flu.
    I wouldn't wish the pain of shingles on my worst enemy. Hubby was going to get the flu shot then decided against it. We do eat a ton of fruit, and we take probiotics( healthy gut) plus other vitamins- the time we moved I stopped eating right, and taking any of the things I take..I was running on empty..
    -Andy Rooney-

Discussions like this make me really happy I don't work in a big office or deal with the public any more. I worked in one office where someone was always sick. One woman always came to work when she was sick. She was raising 5 kids and used up her sick days when they were sick and couldn't afford to lose pay when she got sick. I could sympathize with her situation, but when it impacted me directly (moreso in that I had to pick up the slack when others were sick than in me getting sick), I had less sympathy.

*knock wood* I haven't had the flu in 15 years. Before that, it had been over 20.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

+ Reply to Thread