+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6997Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Schools was cancelled for my kids again today.

My 13 year old has a paper route, so I got to drive him yesterday. At paper delivery time, which is afternoon here, the air temp was -16 with a nasty wind blowing. Fortunately he decked himself out in full snow gear so he was prepared!

People here in the mid-west complain about the short winter days, but after growing up in Anchorage I find the amount of daylight here perfectly fine! It's all a matter of perspective!
    prhoshay and CantGetNuf like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks View Post
    CantGetNuf, I'll take our snow and cold weather over your tornadoes and other killer summer storms.
    So me and the other customers in line the other day were laughing at ourselves. Let there be tornado warnings and we don't do a damn thing. No one puts up their yard ornaments. You spare 10 seconds to think about what your "safe spot" is. You don't go to the "safe spot" until you actually hear the "train". But let them say snow and we are suddenly survival experts. We all got kitty litter in the car and salt on the porch. Stocked up on candles, bread, milk, and water. We're all in line giving each other advice. And now we're all in our houses freezing to death and complaining about frozen pipes on facebook. Pretty funny.
    Brooks and inthegarden like this.
    "You better watch your mouth sunshine."-Daryl Dixon

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Even with 0 temps, I have not upped my thermostat. Layers, layers, layers. And my heated mattress pad! The gurls are not complaining.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

We have ours down in the day when its -20. The sun warms this place up
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

I am using my sealed oil radiators, 1/floor. Our power company wants us to voluntarily conserve energy, in this weather and they are talking about HEAT!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    When the days get longer/shorter, they only do it a minute/day, so you can't expect to see any instant revelations. I hate the idea of 80. I think anything over 75 is not a cool thing. I'm in the south, and today it was 7 when I woke up, and dropped to 0 and 1 for the rest of the day. Fall is my absolute favorite time of the year. Summer is my least favorite. Spent a good deal of time in San Antonio, and that weather is evil. You'd probably be tickled pink with it. I hate, hate, hate heat and humidity which is what I've known all of my life. It was down to 0 and 1, but I had no snow, so that was a good thing. Luckily, I have no reason to leave the house if I don't want to!
    But when you are hot, you can take off clothes! heehee! That's what I love about Texas, we only get snow once in a long while and cold/ice days only 1 or 2 times a year!
    Kip likes this.

San Antonio has that sun-touching-your-skin dry heat. I always found myself looking up and over my shoulder to see exactly how close that doggone sun really was. I loved the city; hated that killer heat. I would think that taking off clothes would be one of the worst things you could do.....talk about feeling like bacon frying in the skillet! I noticed that the outdoor workers wore long-sleeved shirts.

Kip
    FORT Fogey Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Bookworm Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Titans Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

Quote Originally Posted by PGM35 View Post
    But when you are hot, you can take off clothes! heehee! That's what I love about Texas, we only get snow once in a long while and cold/ice days only 1 or 2 times a year!
    We lived in Fort Worth for 3 years - our first child was born there - and I loved it. The dry heat was tolerable. Yeah, snow only a couple of times a year - and a day or two after a snowfall, the weather would be back in the 70s. After living 6 years in the Midwest, it was funny to see how people reacted to a little snow. Schools would shut down at the first hint of snow. But driving there in the snow was scary because people had so little experience with it. And don't forget the hail storms!

Edited to add: My brother who lives in Virginia said they were instructed to drain their outside water lines because even wrapping them wouldn't keep them safe. He's lived in Virginia for 15 years, and that's a first.

I hope everybody is staying safe inside. Brrrrr.

If you have not seen snow, it is romantic to visit a place with snow. I do not think these old bones could take that on a daily basis. (Says Lizard who does not see snow in north Florida, but is seeing a hard freeze for the next two days).
    You can do it!

I guess I will pay the heating bill because I am going to be comfortable in my house and I hate layering clothes. When I layer my body temp goes up and my face turns bright red.
    CantGetNuf likes this.
    You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to.

+ Reply to Thread