+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5876Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Maybe "Jokes and Funnies" is a better place for those. I teach middle school. I think I've heard them all.
    Wood stove AND oil furnace going at the same time. I won't be putting money in my savings account this month.
    prhoshay likes this.
    Count your blessings!

Yikes! Polar Vortex! 'Polar vortex' to blast frigid air over much of US

Bundle up well, kiddies! "Hercules" is a monster!

I just read that it is 29 degrees in Anchorage, Alaska. It's 31 degrees in NC right now. And much of the country is near or below zero! Is it normally that warm in Alaska at this time of year?

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I am very blessed to have been born without an addictive personality. I am blown away by how many people I know have them. When I dealt with the marijuana, I did it for a few years, and I was over it. Too much of anything...except chocolate and potato chips.....seems to bore me.

Anytime the doctor wants to give me pain killers, for whatever, I prefer to revert to ibuprofen, and seem to do just fine. I am very thankful for my body's system. I've seen enough to last me a lifetime.

CGN, your firsthand account was informative and fascinating. I understand your concerns. Unfortunately, COPD is irreversible, but treatable. I'm in pain for your angst.

I think you are either born with an addictive personality, or you're not. I think it is probably a brain chemistry thing. That article about marijuana not being a gateway drug was interesting. Other illicit drugs were cited as most likely to have been used before....cigarettes and alcohol, specifically, usually by underaged people. That makes a lot of sense, too.
    Last edited by prhoshay; 01-04-2014 at 12:24 PM.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Speaking as someone who works at a pharmacy, I think this country has more of a problem with the abuse of prescription drugs than it does with marijuana. I think marijuana use can cause some people to move on to stronger drugs. Just like alcohol consumption can cause some people to become alcoholic, and playing violent video games may cause some people to become violent, etc. I've known people who smoke pot on a regular basis and lead productive lives. I've also known smokers who sit in their parents basement playing video games all day. (I actually know non-smokers who do this. ) I wonder if it wasn't illegal, if it would hold the same kind of... fascination, for lack of a better word. Remember how much you wanted to drink BEFORE you got old enough to do it. Once you were a legal age, it wasn't that big of a deal. If marijuana was legal, available, and regulated, I think in time it wouldn't be such a big deal either. Especially if they price it like cigarettes!!
    Punkin, ClosetRTWatcher and Cootie like this.
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people. Martin Luther King, Jr.

We all know alcohol can impair a person's judgment/ability. Why do we need to legalize another drug that will do the same thing.
    There's no place like home!

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lil Bit View Post
    Speaking as someone who works at a pharmacy, I think this country has more of a problem with the abuse of prescription drugs than it does with marijuana.
    I totally agree with you, Lil Bit.

When I was in my 50s, our family doctor had me on SEVEN prescriptions a day, and every time I went to see him, he seemed to want to add to the list, and argued with me when I wanted to stop taking so many pills.

I am now in my late 60s, and changed doctors about 3 years ago. I am on NO daily prescriptions. My blood pressure is fine with no diuretics or Beta blockers; my cholesterol is fine with the use of niacin supplements. I now only take Celebrex on an as-needed basis for arthritis. The niacin and a multi-vitamin for those 55 and over are the only pills I take. I see my new doctor only once a year for a check-up, rather than running in there every month as I did with the former doctor. It turned out that most of my issues with him were side-effects from the drugs I was taking . . . for which he wanted to prescribe more drugs.

Having worked in assisted living for 18yrs I have seen what prescription drugs can do to people. And most of it is baaaaaad. The residents that I have had that are in their 90's, able to ambulate, have good hand dexterity, and still have a sharp mind are all people who refused to take the pills prescribed to them. Or take very few. The ones in their 70's unable to walk, have dementia, can't control their movements, usually take a couple handful of pills a day. Whenever I would get a new resident we would review their meds. Many times I suggested to family's to take their resident back to the dr and see what they can get off of. And I can't stress enough how bad the opiate drugs are. Here they are usually prescribed Lortab or Oxycodone. Other parts of the country they call them Norco or vicodin. I'll ask a family member why their parent is on them and usually I would get a response like, "Well she broke her hip 5yrs ago and has been on them ever since." I tell them to get them off of them. I can't tell you how many times I have been thanked for "giving me my mom back". I have had residents that were going to be discharged for dementia beyond what we can keep in assisted living. Family members come to me crying because they don't want their parent to have to leave us. I usually suggest again to take them off of certain drugs. Sure enough the "dementia" goes away and we can keep them.
    And I can't stand a dr who immediately goes to his prescription pad. And don't even get me started on hospitals. All they want to do for an elderly patient is put a catheter in them, dope them up on Xanax or Ativan, and leave them in the bed. I worked for people who had been hospital administrators before retiring and opening an assisted living, they met with our local hospital administrator and told him, "Our residents are coming back to us in worse shape then we sent them out to you." We send them out because they had a fall and need to get checked out. They come back with no bladder control, unable to walk, and out of their minds from meds. I had a resident who was never a behavior issue, managed her own meds, and sharp as a tack. I used to joke that when Tom Brokaw talked about the greatest generation he was talking about her. She had to come off of blood thinners so she could have a procedure done but ended up having a slight heart attack before the procedure. She was in the hospital for a few days and I was trying to coordinate paper work with one of her hospital nurses. The nurse said, "We are wondering why you are letting a dementia patient self medicate." I almost flipped my lid. I told her, "She is NOT a dementia patient and if you think she is then YOU have her on something she doesn't need. Go check the list of meds I sent you with the list of meds you are giving her. Stop anything that isn't on the list I sent you." By the time I got done with her she was like, "Yes maam" lol A couple days later the residents niece came to me and said, "Thank God you talked to that RN because they were giving her Xanax and it was making her crazy. I had to sit with her at night because she would get so out of control. But after talking to you they stopped giving it to her and she went right back to being her normal self." When the resident came home she told me that she was aware of every crazy thing she did but said she couldn't stop herself.
    Ok I'll stop my rant now. Sorry.

And thank you to everyone who expressed concern or sympathy for my own personal plight. This is day three and I kinda feel like I'm going out of my mind. lol The craving is bad. The boredom is even worse. The insomnia isn't a problem yet because I'm not working so I really don't require to much sleep. IDK what I'm going to do when I start working again and really need a good night sleep. I've had insomnia since I was just a little girl. If I take a sleep aid I am groggy the whole next day. The good thing is when I do get to sleep I usually sleep pretty hard. Its just getting to sleep that is difficult.
    "You better watch your mouth sunshine."-Daryl Dixon

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

I've had bouts of sleep issues during my life. I try different things until I find something that works, then I stick with it until I'm pretty sure the sleep issue is resolved. Several years ago, it was warm milk. Now, it's chamomile tea. I have severe tinnitus, and need to have background noise to focus on to fall asleep. For the past 3 years, it's been the Harry Potter audiobooks. Jim Dale is a wonderful narrator, and I fall asleep to his voice every night. And I'm DYNAMITE at Harry Potter trivia contests. LOL.

ETA:

My brother used to go to the same doctor I quit going to. He called me one day because he'd been admitted to the hospital for falling and injuring himself (he lives alone). When I rushed to the hospital, I got there as the nurse was reviewing his list of medications. He was on THREE diuretics and was passing out from . . . (no surprise) . . . dehydration. I asked the nurse if she thought he was being overmedicated. She responded, "In my opinion as a nurse practitioner . . . DUH!"

I finally convinced my brother to change doctors. However, as a hypochondriac, he still doesn't understand that his meds could be causing him more harm than good.

I know that we are prewired for different indulgeńces. Mine would be food....cuz it 's so good but i control that pretty much
    You can do it!

+ Reply to Thread