+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6790Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    When you get into talking about "laced pot", you are talking about quality and the lower level marijuana. I do not agree about "gateway"....that's more of a convenient colloquialism that people who prefer anecdotes prefer, IMO.
    After considerable thought, I am back to comment. Try discussing semantics with a mom who thought her daughter was "just doing what kids do" and is now permanently confined to her bedroom, in a hospital bed, completely dependent on the care of her parents. I think it is detrimental to the children of today to not acknowledge that pot often leads to further drug use. Perhaps back in the day when Gutmutter acknowledged she smoked it was not as common, but today drugs are readily available and our youth quickly move to a bigger and better high. If we don't acknowledge this, we can't protect them.

I have seen first hand what drugs do to people. I have a brother and a sister who started on pot and graduated to harder drugs. They are drug free now but IT STARTED with pot. Both had to go through horrible withdrawals going cold turkey and it wasn't a pretty site.
    You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to.

"The problem here is that correlation isn’t cause. Hell’s Angels motorcycle gang members are probably more 104 times more likely to have ridden a bicycle as a kid than those who don’t become Hell’s Angels, but that doesn’t mean that riding a two-wheeler is a “gateway” to joining a motorcycle gang. It simply means that most people ride bikes and the kind of people who don’t are highly unlikely to ever ride a motorcycle."

This para is from this article:

Read more: Marijuana as a Gateway Drug: The Myth That Will Not Die | TIME.com Marijuana as a Gateway Drug: The Myth That Will Not Die | TIME.com

I found this article interesting. It also says there is no scientific proof that pot use causes harder drug use. They also address how alcohol and tobacco could be related.
    Last edited by Debb70; 01-03-2014 at 02:24 PM.
    Punkin, Ellen and Jamie5632 like this.

Brrrrr! It's cold here! Supposed to go down to 20 below tonight. At least we didn't get hit with as much snow as other places in the state. My neighbor across the street used his snow blower to clear my driveway for me. I baked brownies and took them to him (and his grandson) while they were still hot. Wood stove going day and night. I'll open the doors under the kitchen and bathroom sinks tonight to keep pipes from freezing.
    How's everyone else faring?
    Punkin likes this.
    Count your blessings!

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Eastcoastmom's Avatar

I was wondering about you Gutmutter when I saw on the news this morning how much snow Boston got. We got about 9 inches or so but some parts of the Island have a good foot or so. It's currently 16 degrees here and supposed to go down to zero tonight. I think all of the schools are closed on the Island as is our local library. Hubby and son were out there with the snow blower and shovel so all is clear and good to go. I am just enjoying lazing around. I'm sure your neighbor and grandson appreciated those hot baked brownies.

Stay warm and safe, everybody!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    Brrrrr! It's cold here! Supposed to go down to 20 below tonight. At least we didn't get hit with as much snow as other places in the state. My neighbor across the street used his snow blower to clear my driveway for me. I baked brownies and took them to him (and his grandson) while they were still hot. Wood stove going day and night. I'll open the doors under the kitchen and bathroom sinks tonight to keep pipes from freezing.
    I'm glad to read that you are doing okay. How nice that your driveway is cleared off somewhat. That would be quite a workout to do it by yourself!

Its a little funny for me because I've been away from the site for a couple of days. I come back last night to see pot use is the hot topic, on the day I quit smoking pot. Ya'lls conversation is not helping my cravings. lol
    I agree with just about everything everyone has said. The good and the bad. Pot has a lot of great uses medically and recreationally. I do prefer to be around people who are high then people who are drunk. But there are a lot of bad side effects. I think it was Eastcoast who said it takes away your ambition. That is soooooo true. That is probably the number one reason I regret being a chronic pot user for the last 30yrs. I have advanced in my career field but not to the extent that I could have. I could have a lot nicer house then I have if I'd been more motivated to care for it like I should have.

There are two reasons I have finally decided that its time for me to quit. The first being that I need a new career. I have gotten burned out in assisted living. I enjoyed being a caregiver when I was younger but I'm getting more wore out and tired. What I really want to do it work in a school cafeteria.

The second and most important reason is my grandson. I don't want to sound overly dramatic but I'm sure that I'm dying right now. A couple yrs ago I had a staph infection in my finger. The er dr who lanced it heard me laugh. He got a shocked look on his face and said, "You have emphysema. Has your dr told you that?" I told him I didn't have a dr and to just worry about my finger and I'd worry about the rest. But I know he's right. I wheeze constantly. I can't get a good breath of air. I get winded just walking out to my car and back inside. When I wake up I'm so congested and I cough for an hour. Sounds like a TB ward in my house. When I take a hot shower I feel like I'm drowning because the steam breaks the mucus up. I know its all a self inflected wound. I knew every time I lit up a cigarette or joint what the consequences could be and I did it anyways. I am ok with my own mortality. But when I look at my grandson, who thinks I hung the moon, I feel guilty. I don't mind dying but I feel very bad leaving a hole in his life. I remember my own grandparents and what they meant to me. The grandfather I was closest to died when I was 10. 34yrs later I still mourn him. Sometimes I am so overwhelmed by how special I am because I'm a grandmother. I know the power I have in my grandsons life and I don't want to cause him the pain that I felt at my grandfathers passing. I would love to say that my love for my grandson will take away the cravings and make this an easy decision but I can't. This is going to be very difficult for me but I feel I don't have any other choice. I don't think I'll be around in another 5yrs if I don't quit now.

Now that I've said all that. I do agree that marijuana should be legalized. Especially for medical purposes. I was so happy when Dr Gupta tried marijuana and came to the conclusion that yes this drug can help people. I would rather see everyone who is on opioid pain killers switch to marijuana. Not to smoke but eat in candy or brownies or whatever. I think opioids should be outlawed. My opinion is that opioids are the new crack. It ruins a lot of lives.
    Punkin likes this.
    "You better watch your mouth sunshine."-Daryl Dixon

Wow. Thank you for your honest and touching post.
    Did you say you smoke cigarettes, also? That's a double whammy. Are you quitting them both?
    Good luck with your new career choice. Our caf ladies are the best!
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by CantGetNuf View Post
    Its a little funny for me because I've been away from the site for a couple of days. I come back last night to see pot use is the hot topic, on the day I quit smoking pot. Ya'lls conversation is not helping my cravings. lol
    I agree with just about everything everyone has said. The good and the bad. Pot has a lot of great uses medically and recreationally. I do prefer to be around people who are high then people who are drunk. But there are a lot of bad side effects. I think it was Eastcoast who said it takes away your ambition. That is soooooo true. That is probably the number one reason I regret being a chronic pot user for the last 30yrs. I have advanced in my career field but not to the extent that I could have. I could have a lot nicer house then I have if I'd been more motivated to care for it like I should have.

There are two reasons I have finally decided that its time for me to quit. The first being that I need a new career. I have gotten burned out in assisted living. I enjoyed being a caregiver when I was younger but I'm getting more wore out and tired. What I really want to do it work in a school cafeteria.

The second and most important reason is my grandson. I don't want to sound overly dramatic but I'm sure that I'm dying right now. A couple yrs ago I had a staph infection in my finger. The er dr who lanced it heard me laugh. He got a shocked look on his face and said, "You have emphysema. Has your dr told you that?" I told him I didn't have a dr and to just worry about my finger and I'd worry about the rest. But I know he's right. I wheeze constantly. I can't get a good breath of air. I get winded just walking out to my car and back inside. When I wake up I'm so congested and I cough for an hour. Sounds like a TB ward in my house. When I take a hot shower I feel like I'm drowning because the steam breaks the mucus up. I know its all a self inflected wound. I knew every time I lit up a cigarette or joint what the consequences could be and I did it anyways. I am ok with my own mortality. But when I look at my grandson, who thinks I hung the moon, I feel guilty. I don't mind dying but I feel very bad leaving a hole in his life. I remember my own grandparents and what they meant to me. The grandfather I was closest to died when I was 10. 34yrs later I still mourn him. Sometimes I am so overwhelmed by how special I am because I'm a grandmother. I know the power I have in my grandsons life and I don't want to cause him the pain that I felt at my grandfathers passing. I would love to say that my love for my grandson will take away the cravings and make this an easy decision but I can't. This is going to be very difficult for me but I feel I don't have any other choice. I don't think I'll be around in another 5yrs if I don't quit now.

Now that I've said all that. I do agree that marijuana should be legalized. Especially for medical purposes. I was so happy when Dr Gupta tried marijuana and came to the conclusion that yes this drug can help people. I would rather see everyone who is on opioid pain killers switch to marijuana. Not to smoke but eat in candy or brownies or whatever. I think opioids should be outlawed. My opinion is that opioids are the new crack. It ruins a lot of lives.
    Sorry to hear of your problem. It might be something else though. Have you thought about COPD? I think it has similar symptoms. I would check it out with a doctor. They might be able to treat it.

It's pretty cold here. I'm working from home today and I'm getting ready to put on a second pair of socks! It's cold! Right now it's 33 degrees, but it feels colder. It's going down to 17 tonight! I'm loving my electric blanket. I don't think I could make it without it.
    Last edited by Debb70; 01-03-2014 at 04:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    Doing great here -- 75ºF and sunny.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

+ Reply to Thread