+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5650Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Mr. (Not so) Perfect Snake 3D Champion, Bouncing Balls Champion

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

I also feel overly tired, anxious, and angsty most of the time, which is why I may contradict some of my own comments and not make sense sometimes. Just wanting to lay that out there.

Kip
    FORT Fogey Shoot The Gems Hard Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

There's plenty of research out there on the negative effects of marijuana on learning and memory, health, job performance, etc.

DrugFacts: Marijuana | National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA)

And, there's lots of research on the negative effects of alcohol on learning and memory, health, job performance, etc.

Pot can be addictive. I don't know what anyone would question that - caffeine is addictive for some people.

I think pot is often a gateway drug for a couple of reasons - it doesn't really have to do with pot itself. First, many kids who regularly use pot like the feeling/"high" they get from it, and sometimes seek stronger drugs looking a stronger high. Second, kids who are smoking pot are typically hanging out with other kids who smoke pot. When one in the group brings in a new drug, there's pressure to try it.

For young kids who drink alcohol, alcohol is a gateway drug to marijuana for the same reasons above. They might be looking for a better high, or one of the group might introduce pot to the others.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyK View Post
    I also feel overly tired, anxious, and angsty most of the time, which is why I may contradict some of my own comments and not make sense sometimes. Just wanting to lay that out there.
    I am sure we all feel like that at times. Right now, I am on a very very mild antidepressant. I am sure I don't make sense either.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Kip
    FORT Fogey Shoot The Gems Hard Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyK View Post
    Are you getting enough sleep?

As to your trip, I agree with the advice to go with your gut. It's natural to feel apprehensive when doing something new, whether it's starting a new job, going to a new school, or traveling to a new place. I remember when I was going to visit relatives in Sweden whom I had never met - I was excited about going - but nervous too. I wondered what it would be like to step off the airplane and not be able to understand much of anything. I had a great time. If it were just a travel opportunity, I'd say go for it. But you're the only one who knows your relationship with your father is like.

For many people, their biggest regrets in life are not what they did do, but rather what they didn't do.

I think pot should be legal everywhere. I smoked a lot in my college years ('70s/art major ) but stopped when I had kids. It was a lot of fun, was the opposite of what people say about making you apathetic - I did a lot of great artwork once the creative juices were flowing strongly. I don't know anyone for whom it was a gateway drug, and almost everyone I knew then smoked. My dad was a very conservative physician. He and my brother hiked in the Adirondacks every year. Once a group of hikers camping near them was smoking pot and ever after when the subject came up, he would remember how much more mellow and friendly they were than drinkers they encountered in years past. I would probably smoke now if I weren't a teacher. One of my favorite things was to smoke and then go for a walk in the woods. Maybe when I retire I'll take it up again.
    Punkin likes this.
    Count your blessings!

We went to Maryland on Christmas Day to visit Mike's family. Stayed with his mom in the house he grew up in. It was a wonderful trip. I forgot how much I love to travel! We were on a packed Southwest flight and didn't get to sit next to each other, however it was Direct so it wasn't too long of a flight. We were there from Wed evening on Christmas Day until Sunday the 29th. It even snowed a bit for me - it didn't stick around for long but I got some great pics and video of it! We got to see his aunts, grandmother (who's not doing so well and may be the last time he sees her) and his sister / brother in law.

For New Year's, we went out on the night before like any other Saturday night. We are not amateurs! LOL - I ended up driving home as we did not have much to drink at all and it was all done early and we rang in the New Year with hundreds of our closest friends (kidding - we were at a loud bar!). We danced to a few songs with our new cowboy boots we had purchased earlier that day. Bonus from work has come in very handy. The most I've seen in a bonus in years!

I hope everyone is doing well - it's back to the grind now!

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    Will you admit that it is less detrimental than liquor?
    While I don't necessarily think that marijuana use will lead to heroin use, I do think both marijuana and alcohol can cause problems. Like everything else it is about moderation and knowing when to say when. Honestly, my biggest concern is children (teenagers). Just like alcohol is illegal for those under 21, I could get behind marijuana becoming legal so long as similar limits were put in place. There are people out there who believe if they can legally buy something, it won't hurt them. I still can't believe there are people out there (I've met them) who think cigarettes can't hurt you because they are sold legally!! Apparently they have been living under a rock with regard to all the information out there. The bottom line is that the tobacco lobby and the alcohol lobby are two of the biggest in the country - hence why those two drugs remain legal. I think they actually fight against marijuana becoming legal because of the competition. So, as long as parameters are put in place to protect children, I could get on board with it becoming legal.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

When I hear the term "gateway drug", I am always reminded of that ridiculous movie Reefer Madness, from a billion years ago! As I recall, it was a propaganda exploitation film and it was extremely melodramatic....highly reminiscent of the really old, bad martian/alien films that you might see on Saturday mornings. Some nutcase church group put it out; I think it's considered a cult film today. It was really, really poorly done. Totally nuts.It's ppart of American history, so if you get a chance, check it out!
    Punkin, Ellen and NorwIndian like this.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I do agree that brains can get a little.....sometimes, a lot........ "sludgy" with regular marijuana use/overuse....I can usually spot a "super-user" with no difficulty. Thank goodness, I never got to that point! Nothing worse than looking stupid in front of yourself when you are used to having a keen mind. They want to eat and to sleep, and laugh more so than normal. The alcohol overusers tend to want to do dangerous, bad decision things and they want to fight. I'd rather have marijuana users at a party than alcohol users. Alcohol overusers are going to tear things up; the marijuana group is going to eat you out of house and home. Marijuana effects will wear off much more quickly than alcohol effects. I do respect the medicinal uses of the herb.

Children/teens should be a definite NO when it comes to marijuana, unless they have a serious medical condition that can be helped by it, with doctor supervision.
    Last edited by prhoshay; 01-02-2014 at 12:54 PM.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

A radio commentator here recently had some interesting comments to make about legalizing pot. His objection is that there is no way to test a driver suspected of being "high". With alcohol a breathalyzer test or blood test can tell if a driver is under the influence. With pot, the test will show positive for many days after last use even if the driver is no longer high. Therefore, since a person who is high is statistically as likely to cause an accident as one who is DUI, we may end up with people high on pot being a menace on the roads and no surefire way of proving that they were impaired.
    Baby's Breath likes this.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend...never owned a dog.

+ Reply to Thread