+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6941Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

I hate New Years. It's just another stay at home night for me. It combines two things I hate the most... staying up late and drunken idiots.
    I'm taking my tree down today. I'll have to make a box city for the cats. One of them is in love with the tree.
    inthegarden likes this.
    Count your blessings!

I have my grandsons for the whole week so we will be at home. I took them to look at Christmas lights last night. One of my grandsons likes to stay up late and watch cartoon. They don't have cable at home so he soaks them up when at my house. I am hoping it warms up enough so they can play outside some.
    You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to.

No fun plans for me New Years Eve. Just sitting at home. When my kids were really young, I wanted to do something fun for the evening. Since I couldnt get out I invited the neighburs around for snacks and drinks and it was fun. But over the years all the people I knew have moved away and the new ones are not as friendly. New Years Day is my sister's birthday, so I get to make an appearance and give her a gift. Once all this is over, its back to normal.

When I lived downtown Boston, doing First Night was fun. Been in the suburbs for a while. So either I'll go to bed at the usual 9 or 10 pm, or I'll go to bed at the usual 9 or 10 pm and be woken up briefly at midnight for bad champagne. Our cats get up at 5 am regardless. No way to conveniently make up the sleep.

We are having a gathering at my home. I am making Navajo Tacos. Lots of fun and merriment.
    cablejockey likes this.
    There's no place like home!

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Eastcoastmom's Avatar

I LOVE New Year's Eve, but perhaps that is because it is my birthday!!!! I always spend the evening with my sis, brother-in-law and another couple. We take turns alternating houses each year. Hubby and I always go out for a nice quiet dinner first and then begin our celebration around 8 or 8:30 pm. We have snacks, drink Brandy Alexanders made with vanilla ice cream (mmm) and have the birthday cake I provide before the clock strikes midnight. We put on our funny hats and tune in to watch the ball drop, kiss everyone Happy New Year and blow our noisemakers and rattle our rattlers. We usually leave by 1 am. Hubby doesn't drink so we always get home safely. This year no Brandy Alexanders for me nor snacks (still dieting) but I am going to allow myself one slice of birthday cheesecake.

I hope everyone has a safe New Year's Eve.
    Kip, Lizard, Cootie and 3 others like this.

ECM, that sounds wonderful!! As a recovering alcoholic, New Year's doesn't hold the same appeal for me that it once did! I tend to leave the partying to the "amateur drunks"!! Plus with little kids who still get up at 6:30 every morning, staying up late is not a good thing anymore. I actually just love being at home doing my thing. Sometimes hubby and I will watch a movie. Mostly it is a time for me to take stock and be grateful for everything I have - and even many of the things that I don't. New Year's Eve has definitely changed for me over the years and I wouldn't have it any other way. More important to me this year is New Year's Day because my beloved MSU Spartans are playing in the Rose Bowl for the first time in 25 years!!!

Kip
    FORT Fogey Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Bookworm Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Titans Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

I used to like New's Year's Eve when I was a kid because we got to stay up late and have sodas and snacks. But since I left home to go to college, I've never cared for it. Maybe I was just never at the right parties. The gaiety always seemed forced, and it seems strange to be celebrating that it's time to get a new calendar. I rarely go to bed before 11 pm and often stay up to midnight, so staying up isn't an issue.

Celebrating EastCoastMom's birthday is an event I could get behind!
    Eastcoastmom likes this.

We avoid the drunk drivers and enjoy a peaceful evening at home. Usually it's just the two of us, but sometimes a friend/friends with no other plans come[s] over.

We do a tapas/appetizer dinner all those appetizer recipes we've been wanting to make with our favorite not-so-spendy bubbly (a blanc-de-noirs from France's Bourgogne region). Dessert keeps with the theme: cookies from either a new recipe or newly "tweaked" recipe. I made these yesterday: orange-vanilla with dark chocolate chips and dried cranberries.

We watch movies and play board games, fall asleep, and the first one awake (usually me) wakes the other one in time to watch the ball drop and kiss.

And that's it. Kind of boring compared to NYEs of my younger days, but it works for us.
    Kip and Debb70 like this.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

My mom is making eggplant parmesan for me new year's day.
    Ellen and Eastcoastmom like this.
    You can do it!

+ Reply to Thread