+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6170Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Kip
    FORT Fogey Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Sounds like fun. Hope you can get the extra days.

I'm a big fan of cheap motels/hotels. If I'm just sleeping somewhere, all I care about is that the place is safe and clean. I'd rather spend my money on other stuff.

Same here. I always try to get souvenirs from each place. The things I always make sure to get are rocks and magnets with the state names. I pick up a few big rocks from each place, or my husband gets them if I don't go. I have a big flower bed bordered by all my rocks.
    I'm about 14 magnets shy of having all 50 states. They're cheap souvenirs.

It's a lot of fun being on the road. I know it's not for everyone but my husband and I get along so good and we can make each other laugh until it hurts so we always have a good time.
    We're going to take our granddaughter on a short trip this summer. She loves the truck. She spent the night here once when the cab was here and she and I slept in the sleeper. She still talks about it a year later.

Now I'm getting excited!
    Kip and shyra like this.
    ~You can't buy love. But you can rescue it~

Kip
    FORT Fogey Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

I would have loved to sleep in the sleeper as a kid. What fun!

My husband and I lived in Michigan for 3 years and then Illinois for 3 years, and we drove back to California to visit family most summers. I enjoyed being on the road. I liked to get up early and get on the road at 5 or 6 am, and then stop early at a cheap motel with a pool. Back in the day, I think Motel 6 was about $8 a night. We tried to pay $10 or less for a room (this was the early to mid '70s.)

I iiked looking at the local newspapers and checking the classified ads and grocery store ads to see the different regional differences. I remember once, I think we were driving through Nebraska and listening to a local radio station, and they had ads for things I didn't recognize - farm implements of some sort, I suppose.

I used to collect Christmas ornaments from different places. From those trips, I still have some little corn husk doll ornaments, and a couple of woven wheat ornaments.
    NorwIndian likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kip View Post
    I just got a call from my husband's cousin in MN that her 27 year old, perfectly healthy daughter died from the flu. I've never met them (neither has my husband), but I've corresponded with her for years. The daughter had gone to the hospital, was there for a day or two and was released, seemed to be doing fine at home for several days, then said she needed to go back to the hospital. The daughter's husband went outside to get the car ready, when he came back in his wife was nonresponsive, and he called 911. Just a reminder to everyone that the flu is not "just the flu" -- if you have trouble breathing, seek prompt treatment.
    How sad - and scary! I have asthma issues and really struggled with a combination of bronchitis/allergies this past fall. I worry about the flu and get the shot every year.
    NorwIndian - try not to worry about the trip and just go with the flow. You may not be able to do everything you might have done in the past, but I'm sure it will be wonderful to be out of the house and spend time with your hubby. Just go with the flow and enjoy what comes your way.
    Count your blessings!

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Sounds like it's time to start handing out the "nervous pills" for the last time in 2013. If anybody else thinks they will be needing one, the line is forming, to the left.

About the flu...even a cold can take you out if you have a lousy immune system and ignore the life-threatening signs. Your health is nothing to play with. Make your doctor EARN his/her money. Denial can kill more people than you'd think.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I felt like the song that Miranda Lambert sings, "House That Built Me," yesterday. I walked through the house that we lived for a couple of years when I was a kid. We lived there with my grandpa and great grandparents while our house was being built next door.

Oddly, it didn't seem smaller. It seemed just the same. Even the cabinets hadn't been changed! It did bring back lots of memories. It was a nice walk down memory lane.

My nephew is thinking about buying the house. If he does, we are planning on helping him fix it up. I'm really looking forward to it!
    Kip and NorwIndian like this.

Kip

Family homes hold so many memories. My grandparents lived in Chicago and we would visit them for a couple of weeks every summer. When I can't fall asleep, I take a mind tour through the house, starting outside and counting the steps up to the porch. I knew every inch of that house.
    Debb70 likes this.

Yes, Kip. Those memories are wonderful. My grandmother died while she lived there and I was EXTREMELY close to her. I feel so close to her there. Even walking through the yard made me feel like a kid. I have photos of me playing in the yard and it really takes me back. I had so much fun there playing on my swing set, playing hopscotch, playing with my dog, playing house, fort, and kickball!

I remember my grandparents house like it was yesterday. They had an upper deck that wrapped around the entire house and my brothers and I used to chase each other around and around and around that deck until we dropped.
    I was in the area a few years ago and looked for the house. Where their house had been was a huge, ugly apartment complex. They had a great old house on a couple of acres with a creek in the back. The area was unrecognizable when I went back. It was so sad.

Kip, sleeping in the truck sleeper was so exciting for my granddaughter. We ate dinner and watched a movie in there and she loved it. We're going to do it again soon. She loves grandpa's truck. She likes riding in it and waving to all of the people in the cars down below.
    I can't wait until my grandson is older. I bet he'll love it too.

I like getting local newspapers too. I usually buy them and read them on the trip home. I'm really looking forward to going. We load up his truck early on the 8th and go to Tacoma, drop the load there then drive to Spokane, and pick up another load to drop off in some city I've never heard of. Then pick up a load in Seattle to bring back to the Bay Area.

He's going to Illinois in late February. If this trip goes well, I'm going to go. I need some Chicago rocks!
    Last edited by NorwIndian; 12-29-2013 at 05:32 PM.

Is anybody doing anything fun for New Years Eve? My husband will be gone so my big plans are having my granddaughter come to spend the night and she and I are going to try out her Easy Bake Oven that grandpa and I got her for Christmas. Those things have sure changed from when I had mine and my daughter had hers. They are deluxe now. They make soft pretzels and pizza and all kinds of things.
    She and I are going to make pizza and red velvet cupcakes.

Those are my big new years plans. I can't wait!

+ Reply to Thread