+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6195Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Scarlet View Post
    Merry Christmas everyone!
    It was 5 degrees this morning when I looked at the thermometer. (where did you find the degree sign on the keyboard, Ellen?)
    I need the degree symbol all the time in my day job. ALT248 works for most fonts.
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

Mr. (Not so) Perfect Snake 3D Champion, Bouncing Balls Champion

Old wrestling is hard to watch sometimes. The whole pro-America anti-everyone else mentality they had going on in the 80s was dumb. Villains back then were Russians an Iranians who hate America, and the all-American Hulk Hogan comes and saves the day.

I remember one moment where the Russian villain (Volkoff) would enter the ring and start singing the Russian anthem. Then the audience would boo, and Hulk Hogan would come out, everyone would cheer, and Hulk would then beat Volkoff's ass to the ground much to the love of everyone watching. Then he'd wave the American flag and his theme would blast throughout the arena.

I don't like Hulk Hogan. I think he's overrated and for a "hero", he's a pretty sore-ass loser when he loses. I know the WWE is broadcasted throughout the world now, but was it back then? How would the Europeans have felt about the shows they would portray?

Kip
    FORT Fogey Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

When I was in college in 1970 or 1971, I did a story for the school paper on professional wrestling. On tv, the wrestlers looked like they were huge. In person, they weren't all that big. The announcer, referee, and Miss Wrestling were all super short. I expected the wrestlers to be 6'2" or 6'4", but the ones I talked to were more like 5'10". The only two names of wrestlers I can remember from that era are Pepper Gomez and Ray Stevens - I don't remember who the villians were.

I've never watched professional wrestling or any kind of boxing. A sport where the goal is to inflict pain is abhorrent to me.
    Yesterday was my day of sloth... I slept in, played some new games on my iPad, watched tv, went on the computer. Today I started out with a swim/shower/sauna at the Y and went grocery shopping for cat treats and veggies. Time to get back on the healthy food bandwagon.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyK View Post
    Old wrestling is hard to watch sometimes. The whole pro-America anti-everyone else mentality they had going on in the 80s was dumb. Villains back then were Russians an Iranians who hate America, and the all-American Hulk Hogan comes and saves the day.

I remember one moment where the Russian villain (Volkoff) would enter the ring and start singing the Russian anthem. Then the audience would boo, and Hulk Hogan would come out, everyone would cheer, and Hulk would then beat Volkoff's ass to the ground much to the love of everyone watching. Then he'd wave the American flag and his theme would blast throughout the arena.

I don't like Hulk Hogan. I think he's overrated and for a "hero", he's a pretty sore-ass loser when he loses. I know the WWE is broadcasted throughout the world now, but was it back then? How would the Europeans have felt about the shows they would portray?
    Who do you think were portraying their bad guys?
    The 80's were wonderful because we weren't ashamed to be proud of our strong benevolent country.
    "You better watch your mouth sunshine."-Daryl Dixon

My freshman year of college, I took a distance learning humanities arts course which in 1983 was a tape they would play on tv every Saturday morning. Just before my class, they always played wrestling, and I liked watching it. It is fake. I am sure there are injuries because of all the shenanigans. In 1983, the villain was not foreign.....just not as polished.

What type of story-lines do the fake wrestlers in other countries use? My guess is hero and villain also.
    You can do it!

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Professional wrestling is all about choreography. Learn the script; put on the show. Dance, ballerina, dance.

Unfortunately, I fear we've drifted a long way from "benevolence". Come up with your own reasons.
    Ellen and cablejockey like this.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

Have any of you inadvertently machine-washed AND dried a credit card? If so, did the card still work?

I washed my card before but never dried and it didn't work real well after that.
    AZChristian likes this.
    You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to.

Quote Originally Posted by AZChristian View Post
    Have any of you inadvertently machine-washed AND dried a credit card? If so, did the card still work?
    I did and it still worked. I had a little magnet in the console of my car. I would put my debit card in there sometimes. I was always erasing my cards until my bank complained about how often I erased them and told me what I was doing wrong. Ooops.
    AZChristian likes this.
    "You better watch your mouth sunshine."-Daryl Dixon

+ Reply to Thread