+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6170Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Quote Originally Posted by PGM35 View Post
    Ugh - I might be getting the flu! I felt so achy last night - went to bed around 9:30 and then took Nyquil at 1:30AM. I messaged my doc to see if he will call in a prescription for Tamiflu since we leave for Maryland on Wednesday! I have no time to go the doc or to be sick!
    Sorry to hear that! I hope it's just a short thing and not the flu. Good luck with your doctor.
    cablejockey likes this.

It is not fun to be sick at Christmas! And its hard to beleive that tomorrow is Christmas Eve! It sure creeps up on one. But I love Christmas Eve more than Christmas Day itself. On Christmas Eve I can still feel some of the old magic left over from childhood, where that night is special. You want to be with your family and appreciate that you have them. Christmas Day is work, work for me. Cooking, hosting a family dinner--with family members you dont feel so cozy to be around--making sure all the gifts have been opened, and doing all those things that keep you hopping all day. Then suddenly its all over for another year and there is feeling of a let down as all your preparations for the past month have been focused on this day!

I've always been a Christmas Day person. But then again, I rarely cook the big Christmas Dinner.
    Before my son was married, I used to cook a small turkey just for him & me. It sounds kind of sad, but it wasn't. We both enjoyed getting together & getting the whole Christmas Dinner experience, and then we'd rent & watch movies together.

Christmas Eve has always been the "day before" to me. Even when my kids were young, we never did the get together thing 'till Christmas Day. We never opened presents 'till Christmas Morning. Santa hadn't come yet. Even after they were way to old for the Santa thing.
    The excitement of getting up on Christmas Morning to gifts was always there. Santa had come.

The only thing I always do on Christmas Eve that's special is go to Church in the late evening. It seems to get me in the Christmas-is-finally-here mood & feeling the reason the day is celebrated in the first place. Sometimes earlier in the evening, after it gets dark, I like to drive around & look at the light displays.

The next day is get togethers, food & presents.

The day after that: Day after Christmas shopping!
    cablejockey and Eastcoastmom like this.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

Yes to Day after Christmas Shopping! I use candles at home all the time, so the day after Christmas I hit Walmart because all their "holiday scent" large jar candles are 50% off. This means you can get big apple/cinnamon, cranberry, sugar cookie, etc. jar candles for $2.50. Yay!!! Last year I bought 18 and they are gone, so I'm gonna try for more this year! :-)
    cablejockey likes this.

Christmas Eve was always the traditional (Polish) big deal in my family, with spillover into Christmas Day. With my husband's family, everything was crammed into the 25th.

So now we do tradional Polish on the 24th: pierogi, kiełbasa, kapusta, etc. And, of course, the opłatki ritual and table set with straw under the plates. And always an extra place set in case an unexpected visitor comes to the door.

And then we do "American" or other stuff (either beef tenderloin, turkey, etc. I'd like to do the San Francisco Dungeness crab thing some year...) on the 25th.

Sometimes we exchange gifts between the two of us, but more and more we don't. if we do, sometimes it's eve; sometimes day.
    Last edited by Ellen; 12-23-2013 at 01:51 PM.
    NorwIndian likes this.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen View Post
    Christmas Eve was always the traditional (Polish) big deal in my family, with spillover into Christmas Day. With my husband's family, everything was crammed into the 25th.

So now we do tradional Polish on the 24th: pierogi, kiełbasa, kapusta, etc. And, of course, the opłatki ritual and table set with straw under the plates. And always an extra place set in case an unexpected visitor comes to the door.

And then we do "American" or other stuff (either beef tenderloin, turkey, etc. I'd like to do the San Francisco Dungeness crab thing some year...) on the 25th.

Sometimes we exchange gifts between the two of us, but more and more we don't. if we do, sometimes it's eve; sometimes day.
    We now do Ukrainian on the 24th and the Turkey, ham etc on Christmas day. But then my MIL insists on celebrating the real Ukrainian Christmas..its all a bit much for me. I don't get excited and frankly I long for it to be just me and hubby and the dogs( and movies) that's what I like..
    cablejockey and inthegarden like this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Yum! I'm going to Ellen's for Christmas Eve!

We've never done much on the 24th. When the kids were small we'd go look at lights and then come home, have hot chocolate then the kids could open their xmas pajamas, but that was about it. We did the big dinner on Xmas day.
    Nowadays we have a quiet Xmas morning at home just us and the animals, then we head out to my daughters house later in the day to do presents.
    Last edited by NorwIndian; 12-23-2013 at 04:34 PM.
    cablejockey and inthegarden like this.
    ~You can't buy love. But you can rescue it~

Quote Originally Posted by NorwIndian View Post
    Yum! I'm going to Ellen's for Christmas Eve!
    If you can get to SoCal, c'mon over! It would be fun to actually have an "unexpected visitor" actually use the extra place setting!
    NorwIndian likes this.

I have had some "computer" issues ... still do some ... but I want to say Merry Everything & Happy Always to all of you.

I've missed you ... and hope to be back more regularly soon!

Be well, all. stay warm and enjoy many Holiday Hugs!

PS. I read about the Polish Christmas Eve tradition ... and on my Polish family side ... it was always completely meatless and there's a word for it that sounds like vigalia? The Italian is meatless as well ... so clam sauce works!
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by echo226 View Post
    PS. I read about the Polish Christmas Eve tradition ... and on my Polish family side ... it was always completely meatless and there's a word for it that sounds like vigalia? The Italian is meatless as well ... so clam sauce works!
    That's right: wigilia (the "w" is pronounced as "v") "vigil."
    And yes, in the Polish Catholic tradition it's sort of "meatless" (but not really, as fish/seafood is permitted) so we stray from tradition in that regard, as we break out the kiełbasa.

+ Reply to Thread