+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree7209Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

i guess I'm a late bloomer at 55-ish. Luckily, even after two years*, hubby finds them more amusing than annoying. (Maybe because he sees them as not as bad as his stuff?)

*two years of 'flashes, but nearly 20 years of marriage
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

I have a request. My son is at Naval bootcamp right now, and while he gets a lot of mail, there are several guys in his division who haven't received any from their families and friends I feel awful for them. Woukd any of you be willing to send a card or note for Christmas to these guys? The address is:

DIVISION 064
    SHIP 03, USS HOPPER, DIV 064
    3600 OHIO STREET
    GREAT LAKES, IL 60088
    Ellen, waywyrd, shyra and 4 others like this.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Eastcoastmom's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JavaJo View Post
    I have a request. My son is at Naval bootcamp right now, and while he gets a lot of mail, there are several guys in his division who haven't received any from their families and friends I feel awful for them. Woukd any of you be willing to send a card or note for Christmas to these guys? The address is:

DIVISION 064
    SHIP 03, USS HOPPER, DIV 064
    3600 OHIO STREET
    GREAT LAKES, IL 60088
    JavaJo to whom should we address each individual card?
    JavaJo and NorwIndian like this.

JavaJo, I would absolutely love to do that. Like Eastcoastmom, I'm wondering who we address the cards to. Can we send little gifts too? Is there a list of things they need/want?

I have my seniors bought for, their gifts are wrapped and ready for pick up and I've dropped off my donations to the animal shelter. I'm just sitting here with nothing to do just waiting for Christmas, so I have the time and would love to do this.

Thank you JavaJo for thinking of them.
    Kip, JavaJo and Eastcoastmom like this.
    ~You can't buy love. But you can rescue it~

I will be happy to do it, too. If we just send them to that address, will they give them to those who need them most?
    PGM35 and JavaJo like this.
    Count your blessings!

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Eastcoastmom's Avatar

Yeah, that's what I was wondering too, Gut. I suppose we could address it to "any serviceman" or "any servicewoman", but that sounds so cold and impersonal to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastcoastmom View Post
    Yeah, that's what I was wondering too, Gut. I suppose we could address it to "any serviceman" or "any servicewoman", but that sounds so cold and impersonal to me.
    I asked Mike since he was in the Army and he said they were always getting stuff from kids that wrote to them but he didn't know how they were addressed or how they got divided up. I want to do it too but just wondering how they get divided up or distributed out? Maybe send them to JavaJo's son and he can distribute them for us?

Kip
    FORT Fogey Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Bookworm Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Titans Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

Quote Originally Posted by NorwIndian View Post
    ... Can we send little gifts too? Is there a list of things they need/want? ...
    I don't think they're allowed many personal items during basic training. I'm wondering if it would be okay to send a chocolate bar or some hard candies. If anyone could use the calories, these guys and gals could!

Quote Originally Posted by Eastcoastmom View Post
    JavaJo to whom should we address each individual card?
    I don't know names. My son said to send them to the division in general. He didn't have time to give me names. My son will make sure they know the cards are for them. He's really stressed about it because he himself gets 3-4 letters per day. They get none.

As for gifts or care packages, nope. It's boot camp....they are stripped of everything and can only have the necessities, which are provided for them. Thank you for asking, though.

And thank you so much to those who will send a card. I'm sure it will help them to know people are thinking of them and are proud of them. You guys are the best! xoxo
    Last edited by JavaJo; 12-18-2013 at 08:40 PM.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

Mr. (Not so) Perfect Bouncing Balls Champion

That's nice of us to do.

I said it before, but most (if I may need stress that word) of the people on here seem like pretty good people.

For me personally, I now have a couple at least that I can PM about stuff I can't share in the public forum.

And most of us seem mature and even when someone rants or has a tantrum *coughmecough*, the responses seem to contain patience and respect, not counter-outbursts like I've seen on other sites. Sometimes some responses piss me off a bit, but that's just on me.

And the staff here are good, too. I PM waywyrd all the time.

This other forum I went on a while ago, had most of their veteran members act like douchebags. They all acted like know-it-alls and didn't treat newer members too well. If someone didn't know something most of them know, they might have been called idiots. And yes those people were grown adults, too.

There was this gay teen forum I visited a while ago, but it quickly repelled me. Why? Blatant racism. Seriously. Whenever a black guy posts photos of himself, what responses does he get? "Your kind is not welcome here", etc. If it was some inside joke, I must have missed it, but it didn't seem that way to me. It pisses me off when gay people or other minorities thinks it's okay to hate on other minorities. Nobody should be hated on for who they are. The only people I hate are haters and ignorant people. Doesn't depend on what they look like.

+ Reply to Thread