+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6435Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Kip
    FORT Fogey Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Bookworm Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Titans Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    Our middle school kids show up in the single digits with shorts, no coat, strappy sandals and tops. It's ridiculous.
    Yikes! I thought it was bad enough to dress like that in winter in Caifornia, but single digits!!!

I'm a born and raised Caifornia girl but went to college at the University of Michigan and then we at the University of Illinois for 3 years. I always thought it was funny how after weeks of cold and snow, it would get up to 50 degrees, and on sunny days, students would be lying in the sun in their bathing suits. 50 degrees was winter in California. I was still bundled up.
    Ellen likes this.

I know what you mean Kip. I was from southern CA. When I lived in CO it never got hot enough for me. My friends would be like, "Lets go swimming." And I'm like, "Really? I was thinking about putting on a sweater."

I live in AL now. I didn't think our weather was a lot different then FL until I went there. My brother was going to school there and my husband and I visited him in the spring. Their temps were about 20 degrees higher then ours and it was a huge difference. My brother and his roommate were complaining that the temp had dropped and turned the heat on. My husband and I felt like we were in a furnace.
    Last edited by CantGetNuf; 12-16-2013 at 01:58 PM.
    "You better watch your mouth sunshine."-Daryl Dixon

Re: the hot/cold thing --

Isn't it all just a matter of perspective? Right now, in SoCal (where I've been living for over a quarter of a century), it's in the upper 60ºs. These days, that's chilly to me. I'm wearing long sleeves. However, when I lived in Wisconsin, if the mercury rose to 60º in mid-December, I'd be breaking out the flip-flops and tank-tops. Heck, if the mercury rose to 30º or above, we'd be breaking out the tanks and flip-flops...

Wear what's comfortable, and let others dress within their own comfort zones. It's all relative, all a matter of perspective.
    What's the big deal?

It's fun to take a walk on the beach this time of year, as it's easy to spot out the tourists and locals. We're wearing sweatshirts, while the snowbirds are in bathing suits.
    (And yes -- my relatives in the Midwest look at me like I'm looney-toons…)
    Last edited by Ellen; 12-16-2013 at 03:47 PM.
    cablejockey, Kip, Critical and 1 others like this.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Even without leaving your own area code, I've noticed that from season to season here. If it got up to 40* right now, I might throw on a hoodie, but it would feel warm out, but in the summer when it's been in the 80s and 90s, 70 can feel cold and I'll put on a sweater.
    Ellen likes this.
    Count your blessings!

REF. People wearing sleeveless tops in winter. I AGREE! It annoys me to no end. I first noticed it on tv with Elisabeth on The View and Kelly Rippa when she was with Regis. I made a point to notice when they wore their sleeveless tops and it was usually on the coldest days of the year. In the summer time, you may seem them in long sleeve or even in sweaters, but NOT in the winter time. It's crazy to me.

Now, it's quite common to see lots of sleeveless ladies' clothes year round in the stores. I don't get it. If it's about temperature, just wear a short sleeve shirt that's thin, but I think it's just a fade. I try to ignore it.

In NC it is usually pretty warm, though it does snow at times. However, most days it's near 40 degrees in the winter and sometimes near 80 like last week. Many younger people wear shorts year round, even if it's with a sweatshirt. That doesn't bother me so much though. Most people do NOT wear sleeveless tops in the winter time. I mostly see it on tv.
    cablejockey likes this.

MrCoz wears shorts in the winter and jeans in the summer. It's weird. His regulator definitely works. Mine, however, is broken. At least I think that's the problem. I both overheat and get too cold super fast. Our winters here are generally not too cold because when we lived in Ohio he didn't wear shorts in the winter. I think above freezing is fair game for shorts. He often also won't wear a coat because he hates to put it on - and he wears short sleeves. When we were on our trip at Thanksgiving it was in the 40's and 50's. One guy asked if we were from Minnesota. I spoke up and said no, just crazy

While I think it's odd, I do think it's nice he regulates temperatures so well and I wish I were the same.

My 11 year old nephew wears shorts year round. Many of the kids in school do. It can be freezing and they will have shorts on with a hoodie. My nephew is hot natured so it doesn't bother him. I don't hardly ever wear a coat. I keep one with me in my car but if I layer up to much my internal temp goes up and my face turns beet red. I do wear pants in the winter and I will wear a short sleeve shirt and put a sweatshirt over it and I can take the sweatshirt off if I get hot.
    You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Have you ever worn/owned an ugly Christmas sweater or sweatshirt? I never remember having or wearing one. I do think they are hilarious!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    Have you ever worn/owned an ugly Christmas sweater or sweatshirt? I never remember having or wearing one. I do think they are hilarious!
    I'm tempted to buy one every year, but I hold myself back! I love 'em and hate at the same time. It's bizarre. lol
    prhoshay likes this.

I have owned and worn some really pretty Christmas sweaters. I don't buy them anymore as I have became very generic in my dressing.....you know plain and simple. Pair of jeans and a shirt.
    You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to.

+ Reply to Thread