+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6456Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

I have been married 23 yrs. We got married young. I often wonder what it would be like to start dating at my age. I think it would be a lot more fun then it was when I was young. For one I understand people and can read them a lot better then I used to. And I'm a lot less self conscious or shy. I think speed dating would be fun and could weed out the losers real quick. At my age I know exactly what I'd be looking for in a man it would take less then 5mins to know if that person is worth wasting time on or not.

A friend of mine recently separated from his wife of 20 yrs. Another friend of his and I were asking him about dating. He was telling us a story of going on a date with a younger woman and bringing her home. He put her in his bed and went to sleep on the couch. She got up and came to the living room and ended up sleeping on the floor. He said he didn't want to offend her by thinking he expected sex on the first date. His friend and I laughed at him. I told him that in this day and age and with the younger crowd, the fact that she came home with him indicated that she expected to have sex with him.

So I plan to date vicariously through you Pikachu. For someone to suggest that your date isn't appropriate for you based on a couple of posts is just silly. To suggest your only going on a date out of desperation is down right tacky. You go on that date and you tell all of us silly old married women all about it. Don't leave out the juicy details.

Your date might be asking repeatedly what you like to do because your not giving him enough info. If you told him you like picnics he might be trying to figure out if you like to hike 3 miles to a quaint quiet spot or do you prefer the picnic table at the local city park. And if you told him you like festivals he might be trying to figure out if you'd like the bluegrass or the butter bean festival.
    I love Norw's idea of going to the comedy club. I have thought that would be a great first date. But a sense of humor is very important to me. So if I can't be comfortable with him at the CC I probably won't be that comfortable with him elsewhere.
    Lizard and NorwIndian like this.
    "You better watch your mouth sunshine."-Daryl Dixon

I agree with you on the tacky part. Its disrespectful and rude too.

I'm in a very long term relationship too so I want details too!
    ~You can't buy love. But you can rescue it~

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    You sound really smart. I'm serious.
    Did you mean me Debb? later I thought it was a dumb idea to spend money on getting money. haha!

Quote Originally Posted by pikachu View Post
    I wouldn't say this was out of desperation. I haven't even gone out with the guy yet so I think it would be premature to drop him already!! We've only talked ONE time on the phone so I can excuse him for not being sure where we should go or what we should do to begin with. I think he was just asking my opinion to be polite.

I won't bother you all with the details of this further. I thought you would be happy for me that I finally got asked out and might have some helpful advice to give, instead of poo-pooing my chances before things even got off the ground. Thank you to those of you who had some helpful ideas. I appreciate it.
    Enjoy your date, pikachu!! You deserve it. You have nothing to lose by seeing where this date goes. Best of luck on your date.
    Last edited by angelic_one2002; 12-09-2013 at 04:37 PM.
    Cootie and NorwIndian like this.
    "Success is falling nine times and getting up ten." - Jon Bon Jovi

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PGM35 View Post
    Did you mean me Debb? later I thought it was a dumb idea to spend money on getting money. haha!
    It's a lot smarter than chancing getting splattered on a ridiculous road! Actually, it's a pretty cool idea.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by pikachu View Post
    Well, considering that I have NEVER been asked out on a date, I want to at least give this a chance. If nothing else, we might become friends and I can use it as experience so when the right guy does come along, I'll know a bit more about what I want from a guy and how to act on a date.

I'm not all too sure about him yet and I'm not attracted to him but then I hardly know him. Maybe once I get to know him, he'll grow on me. I'm certainly keeping my wits about me so if I feel he's up to no good, I'll dump him right away.
    I don't think there is anything wrong with going on a date just for the experience. I have definitely known people that I thought were much more attractive after getting to know their personality, so I think it is great that you aren't judging this guy "by his cover". The Christmas party also sounds like a good idea since other people he knows will be there as well.

There are some newer places around here where people can have a glass of wine and paint. I believe it is set up kind of like a class, with everyone painting the same thing. I have heard mostly about groups of friends going, but it seems like it has date potential as well. I have NO idea what this kind of thing costs!

Personally if it was me getting back in the dating scene I would go have a nice dinner somewhere. If you can't carry a conversation over dinner then you won't be able to talk anywhere IMO. A lot of romances have started over dinners.
    You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to.

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher View Post
    There are some newer places around here where people can have a glass of wine and paint. I believe it is set up kind of like a class, with everyone painting the same thing. I have heard mostly about groups of friends going, but it seems like it has date potential as well. I have NO idea what this kind of thing costs!
    Usually $30-35 for the class and people bring their own wine and snacks. I think it would be fun with people you know, maybe not with someone you just met or are trying to get to know.

First dates, I think , should be one where you can talk and find out about each other. Also, if you do go somewhere to "do" something, it should be something that both of you or one of you are interested in. That way, you can talk about the subject (ie baseball game, museum, play, show, comedy club), or if only one of you is interested, to at least show/tell/inform/educate the other. You might be bored out of your mind if you hate car shows, but if its something he enjoys, why not try it out and see what it has to offer. You need not ever go again.

I haven't been on a whole lot of first dates, but I've had my share. Yes,they are better when there is an "out", like I need to be somewhere else after this or you could - oh, it's just such and such, I can put it off, if you are really having a good time.

And I understood what prhoshay meant - it did sound a bit like the guy couldn't make up "HIS" mind even after you had given him your ideas. As if to say, no, those aren't good enough, keep thinking. My point is, I don't think this was meant in a bad way, just if a guy keeps asking, maybe he has a hard time taking an answer at face value. Just an observation on the little I read about it. I am not judging the guy, just commenting. I mean no harm!

I do want to hear how it goes too. Could be the start of a wonderful friendship and the rest could be history!

I like the Christmas Party idea. It sounds like a good time is already built in.

I completely disagree with those who judge the guy negatively just because he asked you what you like to do. He could just be asking because he wants to make sure the date is something you enjoy, rather than his interests. He may be trying to be polite.

The whole "What do you want to do? or What do you like to do?" question is as old as time. No big deal in my opinion. The fact that your answers seem to be brushed off by him re-asking is a typical male response. Sorry guys, but it is. Your answers may seem too routine to him & he wants an idea that makes him say "Wow! That's a great idea!"

The re-asking is leaving an opening for you to say "What would YOU like to do? or "Whatever you choose would be fine with me?" If your initial ideas don't wow him, then put the decision in his hands.
    Just be prepared for an indoor Monster Truck competition or something like that.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

Quote Originally Posted by PGM35 View Post
    Yes! I hate to see people almost getting hit by traffic while they try to cross a busy roadway. It's smart to get a cab to drive you over and back. We have pedestrians getting killed in this community a lot. It's sad. Many of them are people trying to cross a busy road and they aren't seen. Good investment, IMO. I don't hestitate to call a cab.

Pikachu, I would enjoy the date to the Christmas party. I met someone very special at an office Christmas party once. It was electric. I had lost a lot of weight was feeling super thin. I wore a new red off the shouldar top. We noticed each other at the same time. I couldn't stop looking and neither could he. He approached me over the punch bowl and asked my name. We figured out the people we knew in common and why we were invited to this Christmas party. It was an open house/Christmas party for a law firm. We had the best time talking and just really hit it off. It was like I already knew him. We each had another party to go to afterwards or else we would have spent the entire evening together. He called me later that night on my cell and asked me out and we then began a HOT romance. It didn't work out, (I won't go into details,) but OMG. He was a very, NICE, handsome, sexy, HOT man and we had so much fun for about a year.

HAVE FUN at your party.

I was always one to go out A LOT. I would encourage it, whether you have a date or not. You never know who you might meet and your date to this Christmas party could turn out great.
    Last edited by Debb70; 12-09-2013 at 06:23 PM.

+ Reply to Thread