+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6256Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

I've never understood going to movie on the first date since you can't really talk and get to know each other in a movie. That was more of a high school thing when we were too shy to talk much, anyway.
    Our second date was dinner and movie. The movie first, and then we sat and discussed ( and other things) it over supper .I knew then I would enjoy this man, & we still do this, have coffee or wine after a really good play or movie.I look forward to our date night
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Fanny Mare, that's actually a good idea. If the conversation is awkward at least you have the movie to talk about.
    My mom worked at the local community college and fixed me up on a blind date with a co worker. He was so not my type at all. It was my first date after I left my marriage and I think she was trying to fix me up with the polar opposite of what I was married to.
    We had dinner first and I'm not kidding when I say that we maybe said 5 words to each other the entire dinner. It was the most awkward night of my life. If we had seen the movie first, we could have at least talked about that.
    I was so happy when that night was over. He was as done as I was so I didn't have to worry about how we would say goodbye and if a kiss would be involved. I yelled Thank you goodnight as I jumped out of the still moving car and he sped off before my door closed. Lol.

My first date with my now husband was a Pat Benatar concert.
    Last edited by NorwIndian; 12-09-2013 at 01:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by NorwIndian View Post
    Fanny Mare, that's actually a good idea. If the conversation is awkward at least you have the movie to talk about.
    My mom worked at the local community college and fixed me up on a blind date with a co worker. He was so not my type at all. It was my first date after I left my marriage and I think she was trying to fix me up with the polar opposite of what I was married to.
    We had dinner first and I'm not kidding when I say that we maybe said 5 words to each other the entire dinner. It was the most awkward night of my life. If we had seen the movie first, we could have at least talked about that.
    I was so happy when that night was over. He was as done as I was so I didn't have to worry about how we would say goodbye and if a kiss would be involved. I yelled Thank you goodnight as I jumped out of the still moving car and he sped off before my door closed. Lol.

My first date with my now husband was a Pat Benatar concert.
    I think we have all had those awkward dates, where you want to sip to the washroom, hoping they have a secret door
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Kip
    FORT Fogey Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

Pikachu, how exciting! Unless it's a short lunch like prhorshay recommended, I vote for some sort of activity - museum, movie, farmer's market - meal after, optional. As others said, the activity will be a conversation generator.

I may not the best one to take dating advice from, as I haven't dated since my first year in college (43 years ago!). And I never realized it until this talk about first dates with husbands, but I'm not sure my husband and I had a first date. He was my T.A. in my psych class the second semester of my freshman year. He started writing me over the summer and we carried on a correspondence all summer (he was out of state on a summer research fellowship). When he came back, he came to my house and picked me up to drive me back to school, and we've been living together ever since.
    NorwIndian likes this.

I had a fun first date once where we went to a grocery store first and roamed up and down the aisles to put together a "picnic" (learning about each other's tastes and humor) and then went to an outdoor park and people watched while we ate. I realize most of the country isn't in an outdoor season at the moment, but you could go to a mall or other public area to eat and people watch. The grocery store part was the fun part anyway.
    Another date we hiked all the way down the Grand Canyon and back out the same day. I don't recommend that.
    25 First Date Ideas That Aren’t Simply Dinner, A Movie, Or A Drink
    Be sure to read the comments! Traveling badminton!
    Last edited by Gutmutter; 12-09-2013 at 04:53 AM.
    Count your blessings!

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Keep in mind...."if it don't fit, don't force it." I really enjoy looking at the person, and getting a feel for who he is, his sense of humor, etc. I also enjoy having "a meeting" to get to as an excuse to get away and assume some control over the situation. That can either make everyone feel relieved, or anxious for a follow-up date.

Being in class with an interesting T.A. is like a very extended first date! Both of you were checking each other out, from afar.
    Kip likes this.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

JK, good for you that you fixed your mom's computer! Focusing on the needs of others and seeing their delight when you have come through for them is a great mood booster!

Go Johnny, Go Johnny...
    Kip, inthegarden and Photobabe like this.

Great news about the date, Pikachu. I like to let my date make those decisions, however, if it's up to me, I like day dates in the very beginning. It takes the pressure off. Like meeting mid morning for coffee and then attending some kind of event, like an art exhibit or some kind of festival. You can walk around, talk, get lunch there and all in an informal setting, casual clothes, etc. It also leaves it open for you to leave when you get ready. Have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    How did I not look like a bank robber, having the cab wait for me while I went into the bank? He was waiting at the corner with the motor running.
    One time a friend and I took a cab from a bar to the bank across the street to get cash (the ATM at the bar was broken), and then take us back across the street to the bar. It was a VERY busy street, really a 4 lane with a median in between highway with no lights to stop and cross; we didn't want to chance crossing it and we didn't know anyone to take us (we were cabbing it home too so we told the guy to come back for us in a few hours).
    Kip and Debb70 like this.

You sound really smart. I'm serious.
    Ellen likes this.

+ Reply to Thread