+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5768Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

My SIL goes beyond "no sense of graciousness" (although that's an extremely polite way to put it). I gave her a handbag one year for her birthday. She opened it up, and yelled (and I mean yelled at the top of her voice),"Oh, it has compartments. I hate compartments." I went home that day and told my husband I'd never buy his sister another present. That was about 10 years ago, and I haven't.

Well if my sister-in-law was like that I wouldn't be getting her anything either. Right now they are more than happy if I spend the money on their kids than on them, but by nature I can't do that.
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    Got my nails done this morning at my usual place. I had called last night to see if they would open up earlier for today (I had been told to do that in the past by the owner). These are very nice Vietnamese/American people who still wrestle with English. When it was time to pay, I put a significant tip on the charge slip because they take such good care of me. My tech looked at me quizzically when she saw the size of the tip. I just said "Merry Christmas!" She smiled, and explained that she didn't have anything for me. They are Buddhist, but acknowledge the Christian holidays. Before I left, she insisted that I accept a bottle of one of my favorite colors of OPI nail polish. I kept trying to say that it wasn't necessary, but eventually thought to accept the polish, so as not to offend her. I'm still in a "state of hmmm...?" over this one.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    I'm sure your manicurist thought you were very generous and wanted to make sure you knew she appreciated your business!

I don't mean to be stereotypical 'cause I'm sure it's not true of everyone, but one of my childhood Asian-American friends was like that. Her family I mean. They were so gracious. After they moved, I went to visit her for a week or so (I think we were in our early teens) and my parents sent me off with a small "thank you" gift to her parents for hosting me--they wouldn't let me pay for anything, not even an ice cream cone. When I went home, her parents gave me a gift for my parents AND about $50 (which is probably equivalent to about $100 in today's market) to take my parents out to dinner when I got home! My parents tried to send the money back but they wouldn't accept it. They were the nicest people.

Isn't it Japan where its traditional to bring a small gift to business meetings? Or am I dreaming that up?
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

Amethyst YetiSports7 - Snowboard FreeRide Champion Amy Lee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cricketeen
    So how about it - do you buy presents for your extended families?
    Please! Nor do i like the idea of starting that in the future. If you and i are close or we live under the same roof then it would make sense for me to think of giving you something.
    Kiss me, ki-ki-kiss me
    Infect me with your love and Fill me with your poison...

which leads to my question -
    I am heading to California next week for a business meeting - I am a consultant (female) working on a new project and will be meeting with the Japanese heads of this project.
    Any advice as to making a good impression? any wardrobe suggestions (pants vs skirts)?

I found these tips from a quick Google, Schmoo.

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2195.html

Those tips are for if you actually go to Japan, so I'm sure that not all are relevant, but there still seems to be some good advice there.

Definitely click on the link about exchanging business cards. It appears they place a much larger value on the exchange of cards than Americans.

Good luck.

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

Thank you.

Now I have to go find the one the CA office head officer gave me last time. Don't want him to think I lost it!!!

I wanted to wish all of our FORT friends out in Colorado safe travels. It sure looks like a mess out there right now. I hope you're all bundled up and safe at home.

+ Reply to Thread