+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6237Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    I had an interesting thing happen today - humbling.
    I got a HUGE box of Christmasy stuff at the "dump" (recycling) and brought it in to my classroom. I sorted what could be used for crafts, what could be given to the "Santa's workshop" store, what I wanted for myself, and threw away the rest. The first class of 5th graders saw the pathetic decorations in the trash and started dumpster diving like crazy!!!! I had to hand out bags and put the lesson on hold. We're talking really skanky old stuff that smelled like mold, but it was more than most had at home.
    Count your blessings on Thursday.
    I wish I had those kids in my attic they would go home thinking they hit the mother lode. I have so many ornaments and decorations that don't get used and would have loved to have given them to the kids.
    You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to.

Last year amazon had free shipping on orders of $25 or more. And you know they are super fast mailing. This year it is free shipping on $35 or more. They are smart..........I am quicker to spend $25 than $35. But if I was in a bind...for sure I would spend the $35.
    You can do it!

They've had the free shipping with a $25 purchase for years. They just increased it within the last month of so. I think people are going to be a lot less likely to bump their shopping cart up to $35 with an add-on purchase for free shipping. $25 never seemed like that big of a deal. $35 is headed up toward $50. In retail/sales it's all about perception. Hence the whole $19.99 vs. $20 thing. $25 seems closer to $20 for a lot of people, so they would just throw another item into their cart to get the free shipping.

I think Amazon will be fine, but I wonder if they'll have fewer sales, if not in dollar amount, then in quantity. It definitely removes the temptation to impulse buy for me and I don't buy from them that much.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I buy tons from Amazon, and just got Prime this year. I get a lot of cooking/baking supplies from them, plus other stuff that isn't always available around here. Now Wal-Mart, on the other hand, I avoid like the plague. I hate everything about that place.

On a related note, I really feel for people working in retail this year. I can't imagine having to work right after I eat Thanksgiving dinner. Black Friday is morphing into Greedy Thursday for retailers...
    Cootie and nennie like this.
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

I can remember when he stores never opened on sunday and now most retailers are open. Once Sam Walton died greed took over and we have the Walmart of today.
    You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to.

Apparently another benefit of Amazon prime is getting USPS to deliver on Sunday.
    What Could Make the Postal Service Cool Again | The Exchange - Yahoo Finance
    "You better watch your mouth sunshine."-Daryl Dixon

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by waywyrd View Post
    I buy tons from Amazon, and just got Prime this year. I get a lot of cooking/baking supplies from them, plus other stuff that isn't always available around here. Now Wal-Mart, on the other hand, I avoid like the plague. I hate everything about that place.

On a related note, I really feel for people working in retail this year. I can't imagine having to work right after I eat Thanksgiving dinner. Black Friday is morphing into Greedy Thursday for retailers...
    Well, some of them might need the extra money and be willing to work on the holiday and celebrate Thanksgiving on another day. If I had the option to work on holidays and get paid for it, I would! I don't have a family of my own and lord knows I could use the money to pay bills.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

You are exactly right about working on the holiday. Not everybody has the ability to have holiday time with their family....heck, I've learned that not everybody even WANTS it. They are doing just fine going into work to be around other people, and making that extra money...especially in this economy. For me, Thanksgiving is not a favorite holiday, so I couldn't care less....but I am also now retired. I much prefer Christmas. I used to, gladly, trade Thanksgiving time off for Christmas, thus allowing somebody else to have Thanksgiving off. My son was born on 12.23, so that was a bigger deal for us.

About Amazon Prime, shortly after I asked about it here, I ordered $60 worth of gifts for my grandson's birthday, and his mother was taking delivery on the gifts 2 days later, with my free shipping because of my order! Not only do I not want another credit card but, with the way Amazon is opening new distribution centers all over the place, I'm starting to think that it would not be benefical to join Prime. The money that I save on the Prime membership, I could use to buy more fun stuff from Amazon! This is money that I'm going to blow on something anyway!! That $35 is no biggie, but I am disappointed that they bumped it up from $25....that is just greedy.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I'm a freelancer, so I don't get paid for holidays. But that's my choice. In my personal situation, holidays are no big deal. I will accept work — and the income that goes with it — on holidays. However, as some of my clients are not in the U.S.A., what's a holiday for me is not a holiday for them. And vice-versa.
    Still, I will not shop on Thanksgiving (unless there's a medical emergency and I'd need to fill a prescription for my husband at a 24/7 pharmacy). I also don't shop on Black Friday. I hate greedy, pushy crowds. I much prefer a quiet walk on the beach with my hubby. (We both hate shopping. I think that's one of the top reasons he married me, as his mother was an über-debt-creating shopaholic.)
    Last edited by Ellen; 11-26-2013 at 10:36 AM.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Regarding Black Friday, I started going several years ago after I moved to the mid-west. For me it ended up being half about getting a good deal, and half about going shopping at a bizarre time with a group of strangers who are there for the same purpose. When my kids were all young I just went on my own and would just strike up conversations with whoever was in the line around me. It was kind of fun. However, people in this region tend to be extremely nice and polite. There are many places where I don't think BF shopping would be fun AT ALL!

Last year my second oldest son came with me, but it just isn't the same now that they have moved it to Thanksgiving night. There is nothing interesting about going shopping at 6 in the evening. I'll make my final decision after I see what's going to be available and what I can just get online. The deals last year weren't even that great.
    CantGetNuf likes this.

+ Reply to Thread