+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6435Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

I just got back from my interview. It seemed to go ok.

I found out that at this office, you can only wear jeans on Friday and that's kind of a let-down to me. I assumed since they were in the same department, I could wear jeans all week like we do in my office. However, that's not a deal-breaker.

I'm still in-between about this job but it's always hard to start a new job. It's been 12 years since I started a new job so I'm comfortable where I'm at but I can't stay here forever. At some point, I'll have to start over somewhere new and start learning the ropes of a new job.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Yes! Open your mind to new adventures and new people otherwise, you're going to get dry rot!!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

I just wish I could find a job I love to do. I don't really want to be a secretary or clerical worker all my life but that's what I have experience doing so I'm kind of stuck in this path. It's hard to get into graphics work because the technology is constantly changing so by the time you go to school and learn one system, a new system is being used in the industry. Plus there are so many people in that field, it's hard to make yourself stand out from the competition.

To you people who have Amazon Prime, do you find it to be worth the $79 annual fee? Sounds rather steep to me.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Kip
    FORT Fogey Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Bookworm Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Titans Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    To you people who have Amazon Prime, do you find it to be worth the $79 annual fee? Sounds rather steep to me.
    I've had Prime for the last year - it expires in a week or two - and I'm about to go back and look at my purchases for the last year and see if it was worthwhile. I watched a few movies through Prime, but not a lot. You can pull up your purchase history for the year and see how much you spent on shipping charges.

One of my sons and his wife don't have cable tv. They subscribe to amazon prime to get the free shipping, watch movies, and get the free kindle books on loan. Microsoft has a program where you can earn points by doing searches on bing and get various gift cards (amazon, starbucks, huluplus, etc.) So my son does 40 searches a day on bing and gets enough every month to pay for their huluplus subscription. Between huluplus, what the networks have online, and movies through amazon, they get their tv/movies for $79 a year. Netflix is $8/mo ($96/year), so for $79 for prime, you get movies plus shipping.

I just signed up to do the bing searches last week. I'm 20% of my way to a $5 starbucks certificate. I do a lot of searches for my business, so it's no extra effort for me.

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    I signed up for a trial two Christmases ago and I still have it, so I guess I decided it's worth it!
    I agree that it seems steep, but I was very quickly sucked in by free two-day shipping. I find it EXTREMELY convenient. Even more since we have a kid that started college this past fall. It is super easy to get him anything he needs very quickly!!

We use Netflix streaming far more than the free stuff we can get from Amazon. However, my husband discovered Gilligan's Island episodes on Amazon the other day so maybe that will change!

Kip
    FORT Fogey Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Bookworm Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Titans Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

Quote Originally Posted by pikachu View Post
    I just wish I could find a job I love to do. I don't really want to be a secretary or clerical worker all my life but that's what I have experience doing so I'm kind of stuck in this path. It's hard to get into graphics work because the technology is constantly changing so by the time you go to school and learn one system, a new system is being used in the industry. Plus there are so many people in that field, it's hard to make yourself stand out from the competition.
    Offer to do some free work for some friends who might need some graphics work done. Put together a small portfolio and start advertising your services. You can do a job or two here or there in your spare time (just don't let it interfere with your FORT work!). You'll build a larger portfolio, get word-of-mouth referrals, improve your skills -- and find out if you like working with clients. I've done a little book cover design, and it's hard when your client wants to do something you know throws the cover off balance graphically, or do something you know isn't the best marketing-wise. If you can't convince them that what they want to do isn't a good idea, you just have to shrug and do what they want (in a couple of cases, I asked that we not be acknowledged as the designer). On the other hand, sometimes clients come up with really great ideas.
    inthegarden likes this.

I signed up for Prime last month so my free month should be expiring soon. Since it's Christmas season, I think I'll keep it since I've already bought quite a few things and not only do I like the free shipping, but the two day arrival (in most cases) as well. If I had planned better I would have signed up for my free month a little later so that after all my holiday shopping is over, I could make a better decision on whether or not to keep it. I usually don't buy a whole lot in the months between Jan and Oct. but kind of make up for it during Nov - Dec but I'm sure not $79 worth.

We have Netflix and so far it seems what's available on Prime is usually also on Netflix so I'm not sure if they complement each other or are just duplicates.

What I do like is that you can extend your Prime subscription to other people (just the two day shipping, not access to the video) and I added my son. He's used it quite a few times since then so I like that I've saved him money.

All in all, I think I will keep it for the next year and then will decide after that if it was worth it. I just hope I don't buy stuff just to buy it in order to justify the cost .

Kip, thanks for the tip about searching purchase history. I never would have thought of that!
    Have you done your Green deed for the day?

I usually order enough to get free shipping anyway, and the 2-day delivery is not that important to me, since I am one of those people who has enough patience not to want to be spoiled on anything! I have also learned not to be baited by their come-on offers, since I've learned that they just expect me to forget to cancel. It actually INSULTS me, and they are not honorable enough to notify you that the expiration period is at hand, to allow you to make an informed decision . There's just something so underhanded-seeming about that. Of course, I'm sure that that is what they are counting on. Jerks! Only a few companies are actually honorable without trying to wear you down first. Is it designed to take advantage?

Quote Originally Posted by Kip View Post
    Offer to do some free work for some friends who might need some graphics work done. Put together a small portfolio and start advertising your services. You can do a job or two here or there in your spare time (just don't let it interfere with your FORT work!). You'll build a larger portfolio, get word-of-mouth referrals, improve your skills -- and find out if you like working with clients. I've done a little book cover design, and it's hard when your client wants to do something you know throws the cover off balance graphically, or do something you know isn't the best marketing-wise. If you can't convince them that what they want to do isn't a good idea, you just have to shrug and do what they want (in a couple of cases, I asked that we not be acknowledged as the designer). On the other hand, sometimes clients come up with really great ideas.
    I really like the advice of growing your business. And I wanted to mention that even someplace as simple as pinterest is good for showcasing your work (like building a "living resume").
    inthegarden likes this.
    remember to play

+ Reply to Thread