+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree7289Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Quote Originally Posted by gabriel;2184781;
    I do.
    Same here.
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

Quote Originally Posted by Newfherder;2184880;
    Same here.
    So nice to know I'm not alone in this. Because so many people believe that if I say I don't want anything, that I am secretly hoping for something. Not true. When I say nothing I am actually hoping they do nothing...
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

Would either one of you guys turn down a basket of homemade goodies? That generally makes a nice "gift" for those who say they don't want anything. Some people just like to give something to the people they care about.

Quote Originally Posted by ShrinkingViolet;2184910;
    Would either one of you guys turn down a basket of homemade goodies? That generally makes a nice "gift" for those who say they don't want anything. Some people just like to give something to the people they care about.
    Do you need my address SV?

It doesn't come up. My nearest source of home-made goodies is over 850 miles away. I don't turn down gifts, but I don't expect or want any.
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott;2184911;
    Do you need my address SV?
    I am baking even as we speak.

Quote Originally Posted by Newfherder;2184912;
    It doesn't come up. My nearest source of home-made goodies is over 850 miles away. I don't turn down gifts, but I don't expect or want any.

Need I say more?
    - The Dean Martin Show -

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by buglover;2184628;
    My fiance swears he wants me to NOT buy him anything for xmas. He only wants all of us to be together and enjoy the day but he purchased something for me. He is a very simple man, never wanting anything or needing anything so I am torn.
    You know him better than any of us. If he really means he doesn't want anything (and isn't secretly hoping you buy him a plasma flat-screen TV!!!), then how about a gift that you both can enjoy? A visit to a B&B or a gift certificate for a nice restaurant where he can take you! I like your photo idea as well.

And not to beat a dead horse (ahem), because I know that printing photos yourself can be pricier than having them done at WalMart or what not, but like Archie (I think) said, the convenience factor is wonderful AND it's easy to whip up fast gifts on the fly. For instance, when one of my neighbors hosted a party, I took a few photos at her party and the next day gave her a thank you note along with a small framed photo of her with some of her friends from the party. (I look for frames and photo albums on sale and then stash them away.) She loved it! When one of our neighbors had their baby, the husband took a family photo as well as some baby shots; and when we got home, I printed out the photos and made the baby's first small photo album for them (which they still show off). And I know from my photographer friends that Epson makes some pretty darned good photo printers. (I've had mine for 3 years now and love it!) So, that's my pitch. But if you're not going to use it much and the ink will just sit in your printer and dry up, then it's not worth keeping. But I love having one!

Lois - I tend to be a computer "gagdet buyer" as my mother puts it, and I've had some good printers, but last year I bought a canon MP500 and I've been scanning old pictures printing them and framing them and have about 1/2 of a 20 foot wall in my living room filled up with old family photos etc. I enjoy printing this stuff up. I know it costs to buy the cartridges (since this unit takes 5 of them)and the paper (gotta be Kodak) but it's so much fun, and it's much fun fun taking pictures, plugging my camera into my PC or the printer and printing them and also having the ability to save them on my computer.. FUN FUN FUN. What's funny also is I do the same things with frames, except I found this standard black frame in all sizes that the glass snaps in from the front that I absolutely love. (I think they are Walgreens cheepie standards for 2.49 for the 4x6 on up to 81/2 x 11.) People are still amazed when a few minutes after snapping a picture it's printing out.
    Last edited by just1paul; 12-22-2006 at 07:33 AM.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by buglover;2184628;
    Hi all. I have a question for those of you who may have more knowledge in this area than me. My fiance swears he wants me to NOT buy him anything for xmas. He only wants all of us to be together and enjoy the day but he purchased something for me. He is a very simple man, never wanting anything or needing anything so I am torn. Do I go ahead and buy something even though he needs nothing nor wants anything or do I go with his wish and merely get a card and have a wonderful holiday with family?
    I have spent 20 years with a man like this. He enjoys giving to me and our daughter, but he wants nothing. After years of trying to find gifts for him, I have FINALLY hit on the one thing that he likes and I get to enjoy as well:
    Tickets to events. Concerts, sports, plays, etc. This year we are all getting Ringling Bros. Circus tickets because they were at a special price of $13 each.
    I check out the local entertainment section, ticketmaster for our area, etc. and last year he got to go see Aerosmith and Arlo Guthrie and was thrilled!
    It isn't clothing he doesn't like, its not somthing that sits around and has to be dusted, its not food he doesn't need. But its a fun evening out together that we both enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by gabriel;2184895;
    So nice to know I'm not alone in this. Because so many people believe that if I say I don't want anything, that I am secretly hoping for something. Not true. When I say nothing I am actually hoping they do nothing...
    Gabriel and Newf, you are NOT alone. My husband is the SAME way. He doesn't want a thing. I however feel guilty if I don't get him something. So once I hit on the tickets to events, he has been thrilled, he likes what I get and we both enjoy the event. But he repeats the same thing year after year: I don't want anything. Christmas was not a big deal in his house growing up, so it isn't as important to him as to me, I guess.

But he really means it when he says: do not get me anything.
    Last edited by MRD; 12-22-2006 at 08:02 AM.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

+ Reply to Thread