+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6255Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyK View Post
    A couple people may be pleased to hear that after two days, I went completely downhill.

But I'm still trying to keep a positive attitude.

So I win the battle of myself.
    I agree with others in that I don't think anyone would be happy to hear that you went downhill.

You mentioned recently that you sometimes suffer from anxiety. My son was very suddenly plagued with anxiety and OCD behaviors beginning a couple of years ago. One of the symptoms he experienced was thinking that people disliked him, were talking about him, were judging him, etc. Once one of these thoughts came to him, the OCD would kick in and he would have a very hard time letting it go. For about a year he isolated himself from all of his friends. His challenges went far beyond this, but this is the part that struck me after reading your post. After a lot of work and the help of a therapist he has come a long way. He still has thoughts that bother him, but he is learning to cope and recognize thoughts that are unreasonable (which can be harder than it sounds for a person with anxiety). He still isn't quite the kid he used to be, but I can see his true personality again.

Is talking to a therapist an option for you? I know many people are reluctant, but what is there to lose!? However, I also recognize that therapy is expensive and can be out of reach for many people based on job and insurance status.

Best wishes to you in your journey toward positivity!
    Kip and Lizard like this.

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

It ended up that my interview today was actually a work sample. They'll interview people after they get the work samples scored, and it sounded like they're interviewing a bunch of people.

One part had alphabet letters matched to a number code and I had to use the code to pick which letter sequence was the same as the number sequence. That was pretty easy for me since I'm a big fan of cryptograms.

In another part, I had to put dates in order, from furthest back to most recent. Not a problem.

I had to write a business letter with information given, which was all misspelled and had bad punctuation and capitalization. Easy task for a grammar nazi!

The only hard part was a math question. They gave the total cost to ship an order of nine flasks and gave the amount for shipping and handling, plus a sales tax percentage. They said the sales tax was added in error so how much would it cost per flask without the sales tax, before shipping and handling. The last time I did math like that was when I took chemistry in college. I couldn't figure out the right formula to get the answer so I started plugging in numbers for the cost of each flask. I think I got it right but there's no telling. If they're looking for you to get the answer the RIGHT way, I probably failed. Oh, and I wasn't allowed to use a calculator.

This job doesn't pay a whole lot more than my current job so at least I didn't feel any pressure or anxiety. If I get the job, great! If not, no big thing.

Quote Originally Posted by pikachu View Post
    It ended up that my interview today was actually a work sample. They'll interview people after they get the work samples scored, and it sounded like they're interviewing a bunch of people.

One part had alphabet letters matched to a number code and I had to use the code to pick which letter sequence was the same as the number sequence. That was pretty easy for me since I'm a big fan of cryptograms.

In another part, I had to put dates in order, from furthest back to most recent. Not a problem.

I had to write a business letter with information given, which was all misspelled and had bad punctuation and capitalization. Easy task for a grammar nazi!

The only hard part was a math question. They gave the total cost to ship an order of nine flasks and gave the amount for shipping and handling, plus a sales tax percentage. They said the sales tax was added in error so how much would it cost per flask without the sales tax, before shipping and handling. The last time I did math like that was when I took chemistry in college. I couldn't figure out the right formula to get the answer so I started plugging in numbers for the cost of each flask. I think I got it right but there's no telling. If they're looking for you to get the answer the RIGHT way, I probably failed. Oh, and I wasn't allowed to use a calculator.

This job doesn't pay a whole lot more than my current job so at least I didn't feel any pressure or anxiety. If I get the job, great! If not, no big thing.
    OMG. Those skill tests sound pretty difficult to me. It sounds like you did great on them though. I bet they don't have that many who do well on them. I say that because over the years I have interviewed people for positions and sometimes skill tests were given. Most people would struggle. Even those with degrees such as paralegals. It's amazing how some people have all these credentials on paper, but have few actual skills. It makes you wonder. I bet they were impressed with you Pikachu!

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

The only job skill some people need to know is whose behind to kiss. They don't get into complicated stuff like spelling, grammar, arithmetic, and computer skills. Sadly, those behind-kissers usually earn much more than the people with actual skills.

I think I'd do okay at those skills tests....as long as I could have a calculator for that last one!

I used to work at a company that gave basic math and alphabetizing tests during the interview process, but also a basic knowledge test. It had simple questions that someone should know just being a person in the world. We did mail order internationally, so the test included basic geography. One of the multiple choice questions asked where Spain was located - two options were Europe and South America. You'd be amazed how many times Spain was in South America

I hope the interview yields the results you want, Pikachu, whatever results those are. It's good to just get into the practice of being interviewed so when a really great job comes along, you're more prepared.
    Kip, pikachu and PGM35 like this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Mr. (Not so) Perfect Snake 3D Champion, Bouncing Balls Champion

My dental surgery is tomorrow.

I will probably stay awake during the procedure. No problem, right?

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyK View Post
    My dental surgery is tomorrow.

I will probably stay awake during the procedure. No problem, right?
    I prefer novocaine to being put out. I'm in full control of myself before, during & after. I feel much better after too. No after effects or tiredness from the anesthetic. Plus you can drive yourself home. No depending on someone else.
    However I do have a very high threshold for dental pain. You have to take that into consideration.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

I guess it depends on the surgery, but I'm fine with a local anesthetic. I like being able to drive myself to and from. I've had more dental surgeries than I can count (okay, like 3 or 4... maybe more, depending on what constitutes "surgery") in the last 7 months. They numb you up and you don't feel a thing. Take music or watch TV if your dentist has one. It helps the time pass. Just tell yourself that whatever is being done is to help you keep your teeth (or more of them if you're having an extraction). That's a good thing!

The most pain I've been in as a result of a dental procedure was a sore jaw during a root canal. It just hurts to have your mouth open for that long. I've been in that dental chair a lot more since then, so now I wouldn't feel as timid about asking for a break.

If your appointment is in the middle of the day, make sure you get a good meal in before you go. You might not feel like eating afterward....or, if you're really numbed up, you might not be able to eat!

The last bit of advice - don't worry. It'll all be fine. Tomorrow night at this time you'll be home and resting.

ETA:
    Quote Originally Posted by Miss Scarlet View Post
    I prefer novocaine to being put out. I'm in full control of myself before, during & after. I feel much better after too. No after effects or tiredness from the anesthetic. Plus you can drive yourself home. No depending on someone else.
    However I do have a very high threshold for dental pain. You have to take that into consideration.
    LUCKY! I have a very low threshold, so my dentist ends up numbing me up repeatedly. I tell her to numb me up until I can't feel my eyeballs. As long as I don't feel what she's doing, I'm happy. Easier for her to do what she needs to do if I'm not squirming and wincing.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I would like to be knocked out just for a cleaning I suffer anxiety in the chair, and I feel like I am going to faint. When they do numb me, I feel totally out of control, and I hate that as well .It's a wonder I even go to the dentist or have good teeth.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

I was totally dentist-phobic and avoided going for longer than I'd care to admit. I had a tooth break last spring and knew I HAD to go. I LOVE my dentist, my hygienist and everyone else at the practice. It's still not super fun being in that chair, but everyone is so kind and good at their jobs that it's as pleasant an experience as it can be. I wish I'd found them years ago because, if I had, I wouldn't have had to deal with all of the surgeries and other work I've had to deal with this year.

I will say that the dental office I go to is pretty cushy-looking. It's owned and staffed by all women and I guess we care more about our surroundings. The place looks like a day spa. When you're being worked on, you can have a fuzzy blanket and there are flat screen TVs above every chair. I just take the blanket, put on headphones and grab the TV remote and I'm good to go. I watched Tabatha take over a few businesses during my last procedure.

For me, pretty much the worst thing about the dentist is the bill, since I don't have dental insurance.
    JohnnyK likes this.

+ Reply to Thread