+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6946Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Quote Originally Posted by NorwIndian View Post
    I hope everybody had a good Halloween!
    Mine was awesome! I had planned on just staying home alone but my kids had other plans.

I had known that my daughter, son in law and grandkids had planned to dress as Family Guy characters, but my son in law had to work so I didn't think they were going to do it.

My son stepped in and took my son in laws place as Peter Griffin. My daughter went as Lois and my grandkids were Stewie and Meg griffin.

My son offered to push my wheelchair so I could go trick or treating with them. I was so happy I was able to go!
    What I didn't know is that they had a costume for me. Lol. They got me a cop costume and I was Joe Swanson!
    For those that don't know, Joe is a character on Family Guy. He is a cop in a wheelchair!
    I loved it. I don't usually dress up but we had a ball!

My granddaughter loved having me with them. She especially loved climbing on my lap in between houses and having her uncle push us both.

Best night I've had in months. I had been feeling really down but that night cheered me up.

I've also figured out a solution to one of my problems.
    I love to cook. Its one of the things that I miss most. My wheelchair is too low for me to reach my cooktop. I have a wall oven that I can reach but I couldn't reach the stove top.
    I really wanted to cook Thanksgiving dinner.

So, I bought 2 portable, double burners. It's petfect! I have one counter in my kitchen that's low enough for me to reach from my chair so I put the burners on that counter and I can cook now!
    I've made dinner every night for a week now.
    It's great to feel useful again!
    My husband rearranged the cabinets so everything I need is low enough for me to reach. I really missed cooking.

I miss yoga too. I did it for 12 years. My arms and legs are starting to get loose and a little flabby now. Yoga was a big part of my life for a long time. I miss the relaxation and focus, but I have to accept the fact that there are some things I probably won't be able to do again. Crying and whining about it won't change the facts.

But its a really good feeling to get back some of the things I had lost since my accident.
    It's great to hear what a great time you had and that you're back to doing things you love to do like cooking. I admit I was a little concerned about your safety when I first read about the portable burners on your countertop. I found this article that suggests you place a wooden cutting board in your lap while cooking, just in case something spills in your lap. The cutting board would help prevent burning your legs.

Cooking Safely in a Wheelchair

Whose coming for your Thanksgiving dinner?

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion pikachu's Avatar

Here's a picture someone at work took of me dressed up for Halloween. They just sent it to me today.

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

I'm staying at my daughter's house for a few days to take care of her house and 3 cats.

I'm tidy. Very tidy. Not a clean freak obsessive compulsive, but tidy and clean. My daughter and her husband are not. (Where did I go wrong????) Last time I stayed, I was watching a Hoarders marathon and decided I had to clean something. (Admit it, we ALL feel that way after watching Hoarders.) So I cleaned her laundry room, which also contains the cats' litter boxes. It looks like it hasn't been cleaned since. (My normal practice for my laundry room is to wipe off the washer and dryer when I have a wet (dirty) washcloth while doing a load of towels. Then I toss in that washcloth with the towels and wash it.)

So I'm walking a fine line between respecting her house and habits while putting things into a semblance of order that's within my comfort zone. It's gonna be a long 4 days.

Quote Originally Posted by AZChristian View Post
    I'm staying at my daughter's house for a few days to take care of her house and 3 cats.

I'm tidy. Very tidy. Not a clean freak obsessive compulsive, but tidy and clean. My daughter and her husband are not. (Where did I go wrong????) Last time I stayed, I was watching a Hoarders marathon and decided I had to clean something. (Admit it, we ALL feel that way after watching Hoarders.) So I cleaned her laundry room, which also contains the cats' litter boxes. It looks like it hasn't been cleaned since. (My normal practice for my laundry room is to wipe off the washer and dryer when I have a wet (dirty) washcloth while doing a load of towels. Then I toss in that washcloth with the towels and wash it.)

So I'm walking a fine line between respecting her house and habits while putting things into a semblance of order that's within my comfort zone. It's gonna be a long 4 days.
    Sounds like my daughters house. I decided if she can live with it so be it. She keeps the living area pretty respectable but walk past that and sometimes it is enter at your own risk. She drove me nuts growing up because her bedroom was a disaster and I finally had to learn to shut the door so I couldn't see it.
    AZChristian likes this.
    You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Ah yes.....there's that control factor that parents have to let go of.....either that or clean it yourself. My mother actually taught me the phrase, "If it ain't getting done quick enough or to your liking....do it yourself." Of course, that statement was usually reserved for somebody of the male gender. My neatness was off and on, but I never let it get sty-like.
    AZChristian likes this.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

When did Amazon up their amount of money spent to get free shipping? It was $25, and now it's $35.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    When did Amazon up their amount of money spent to get free shipping? It was $25, and now it's $35.
    I think that's recent. Last week, maybe?
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Thankfully, my daughter inherited my clean freak gene. Her house is immaculate. I can't relax in a messy house. If I was house sitting and the house was dirty, I'd have to clean it.
    AZChristian likes this.
    ~You can't buy love. But you can rescue it~

Which would be a perfectly good reason for getting you over to the house! I don't think I'd enjoy having any kind of neurosis. I am soooo not Type A. I am about relaxing.
    AZChristian likes this.

I like a clean place, I enjoy order. My daughter in law is messy, She loves me to stay over, she knows I will tidy around , and I don't mind and she doesn't mind My son OTOH, he is like me. He often cleans more than she does.
    AZChristian likes this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

+ Reply to Thread