+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree7289Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

I hope everybody had a good Halloween!
    Mine was awesome! I had planned on just staying home alone but my kids had other plans.

I had known that my daughter, son in law and grandkids had planned to dress as Family Guy characters, but my son in law had to work so I didn't think they were going to do it.

My son stepped in and took my son in laws place as Peter Griffin. My daughter went as Lois and my grandkids were Stewie and Meg griffin.

My son offered to push my wheelchair so I could go trick or treating with them. I was so happy I was able to go!
    What I didn't know is that they had a costume for me. Lol. They got me a cop costume and I was Joe Swanson!
    For those that don't know, Joe is a character on Family Guy. He is a cop in a wheelchair!
    I loved it. I don't usually dress up but we had a ball!

My granddaughter loved having me with them. She especially loved climbing on my lap in between houses and having her uncle push us both.

Best night I've had in months. I had been feeling really down but that night cheered me up.

I've also figured out a solution to one of my problems.
    I love to cook. Its one of the things that I miss most. My wheelchair is too low for me to reach my cooktop. I have a wall oven that I can reach but I couldn't reach the stove top.
    I really wanted to cook Thanksgiving dinner.

So, I bought 2 portable, double burners. It's petfect! I have one counter in my kitchen that's low enough for me to reach from my chair so I put the burners on that counter and I can cook now!
    I've made dinner every night for a week now.
    It's great to feel useful again!
    My husband rearranged the cabinets so everything I need is low enough for me to reach. I really missed cooking.

I miss yoga too. I did it for 12 years. My arms and legs are starting to get loose and a little flabby now. Yoga was a big part of my life for a long time. I miss the relaxation and focus, but I have to accept the fact that there are some things I probably won't be able to do again. Crying and whining about it won't change the facts.

But its a really good feeling to get back some of the things I had lost since my accident.
    Last edited by NorwIndian; 11-03-2013 at 06:18 PM.
    Ellen, shyra, Arielflies and 3 others like this.
    ~You can't buy love. But you can rescue it~

There are yoga programs specifically for people with limited mobility. I know I've seen it on public television.
    Amazon.com: Chair Yoga Program - Enjoy the benefits of Yoga in a safe, gentle program. Increase flexibility, range of motion, and core strength. No pretzel poses or getting on the floor: Anne Pringle Burnell, James Kulackoski, David Sommerfeld: Movie
    Here's one. I did a quick amazon search and there were dozens.
    Count your blessings!

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

Grr. I'm housesitting and catsitting for my daughter (40 miles from home). I can't get my laptop to connect to her wireless (even though I've done it here before). So I'll have to spend all my computer time in a room with no TV. And I forgot my travel speakers, so my routine of listening to audiobooks to distract me from tinnitus is going to be rough. Listening on my Blackberry is not as good.

Whine, whine, whine. OOOOOOOH - that's an idea! I'll go buy some Moscato.

LOL.
    prhoshay, Ellen and Photobabe like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    There are yoga programs specifically for people with limited mobility. I know I've seen it on public television.
    Amazon.com: Chair Yoga Program - Enjoy the benefits of Yoga in a safe, gentle program. Increase flexibility, range of motion, and core strength. No pretzel poses or getting on the floor: Anne Pringle Burnell, James Kulackoski, David Sommerfeld: Movie
    Here's one. I did a quick amazon search and there were dozens.
    My Dr and I have talked about that. I'm definitely going to look into it down the road a bit.
    I'm doing a lot better with my walking so hopefully one day I can get back to regular yoga.

Thanks for the link Gutmutter!

Quote Originally Posted by NorwIndian View Post
    My Dr and I have talked about that. I'm definitely going to look into it down the road a bit.
    I'm doing a lot better with my walking so hopefully one day I can get back to regular yoga.

Thanks for the link Gutmutter!
    I KNEW you would be doing better than you thought you would. My gut just told me so!

About yoga ... I am looking for something that is called gentle yoga ... in a class if possible.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

See ... I may be able to do this .... Morning Yoga in Bed - YouTube

but this is called gentle yoga ....and I don't think I can dfo this:

Gentle Yoga Class - YouTube

I think I could get down on the floor ... but the problem is I'm not sure I could get up.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

Kip
    FORT Fogey Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Bookworm Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Titans Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyK View Post

The country cult, again.

I accuse them all, everybody of voting on talent shows, of being prejudice themselves. ...
    I know what you mean. But if it makes you that upset, you should stop watching the show, or change your perspective. I stopped watching American Idol because the preteen/young teen femal vote controls the voting there; I stopped watching Survivor when it became more about alliances than surviving, etc.

By changing your perspective, you could watch AGT with the mindset that a country singer is likely going to win, but but in the meantime, you can enjoy the other acts anyway. You could have the perspective that on many of these talent shows, the show winner is frequently less successful than some of the contestants who didn't win, and just be happy for all of the acts getting some national exposure.

Kip
    FORT Fogey Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Bookworm Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Titans Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    I appreciate everybody trying to help. What I ended up doing was putting a slightly thick coating of petroleum jelly over the scab, and the itching seems to have stopped immediately. I plan to buy some Neosporin ointment on my very next trip to the drugstore. Luckily, this burn happened several days ago and is not an open wound. I think I am the only person I know who does not keep Neosporin in the house. My skin, which has always been on the dry end of the spectrum, seems to do better with ointments than creams.
    I've never used petroleum jelly for itching - will have to remember to try that next time I'm itching. Petroleum jelly started out being used for burns though. In the 1800 oil rig workers would put it on their burns (it was black back then). They noticed their wounds healing faster, and it was eventually modified and sold as an ointment.

Quote Originally Posted by AZChristian View Post
    I agree with nennie. I am sometimes frustrated with things, but if I allow myself to "hate" something that is less than evil, then the evil has won.

For example: I HATE child abusers. I HATE people who kill innocent people for stupid reasons (like political differences).

Life lived in perspective is a much calmer life. If something causes me to be angry and it's not a life-or-death issue, I just turn away from that thing until I can view it in a proper perspective. I haven't watched DWTS since Maksim C hasn't been on it. Big deal. Life goes on. If he goes back on the show, I'll go back to watching.

As I often said when I was working, if someone made an error that impacted others' work. "It's annoying, but no babies will die." That's how I feel about TV competitions. Even when I would get annoyed that Mark Ballas or Derek Hough would get a trained dancer as a partner and end up winning the season, "It's annoying, but no babies will die."
    I love this comment. It's an old cliche but I try to not sweat the small stuff. If I get angry or upset with something or somebody, I try to ask myself if what I'm angry about will matter in my life next week or next month and if it won't, I move on.
    My husband and I have adopted this in our arguments too. It really helps to put things in perspective.

As far as reality shows go. I've had to stop watching certain ones. When I find myself fantasizing about how hard I could slap somebody (namely Kate Gosselin), it's time for me to stop watching.

I'm an atheist but I do like the Serenity Prayer, especially the part about having the wisdom to know the difference between what I can change and what I can't.

Edited to say that I use a paste of warm water and baking soda for itching from healing wounds etc.
    Just my little 2 cents.
    Last edited by NorwIndian; 11-04-2013 at 12:10 AM.
    Cootie and AZChristian like this.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Kip, thank you for the little history lesson! I believe in keeping a jar of petroleum jelly in the house, at all times; it's just so versatile. I finally did a little research on burns, and it said that the itching from a healing burn is because of the dryness. Apparently, people with much more severe burns have a big problem with itching....thus, my injury felt better when I applied the Vaseline ointment. Makes sense. I'm really good at immediate wound care....less so, at the down-the-road after-care, but I will usually figure it out.

And I thought about the baking soda, but I didn't try it. I do know that it is good for stings. The baking soda, in my kitchen, has been calling my name to make this jewelry cleaning recipe that I found and need. I can hardly wait to see how well it works. I really didn't want to waste my money on that ammonia stuff they sell. I may not cook much in my kitchen, but I love to use it as my laboratory and whip up concoctions! I always loved chemistry lab!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

+ Reply to Thread