+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree7208Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

At the volunteer place yesterday, somebody who worked there brought homemade peanut butter fudge. I ate some last night, and it was to DIE FOR!!! Whomever made it, it was not too sweet, and the texture was really good!! Wonder if there will be any left today???
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion pikachu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by echo226 View Post
    Well I am pretty disappointed.

I tried the honor system with treats. I set a basket out with great assorted treats and a sign that said ... HAPPY HALLOWEEN >>> Please take one!

only a few kids stopped by ... and apparently took hands full ! I thought well shame on them ... but we refilled the basket to the top ... and only one group came by and I found the basket thrown on the ground ... and they apparently emptied the basket of treats directly into their loot bags and ran. So ... I stopped and put a sign on the door that said ... Sorry ... the treats are all gone because somebody stole them all!

I should have known better. Last year someone wrote to the paper and complained that they put candy in their special bowl ... and their special Halloween treat bowl had been taken as well.

Thiefs ! I hope they all get toothaches It's sad because I have always enjoyed the trick or treaters.
    Yeah, the honor system never works. If kids find something they like and there's no one there to limit how much they get, they'll take handfuls.

I remember when my sister and I were little, most honor system bowls were empty by the time we got to those houses. The only time we found one that had candy in it, almost a full bowl, there was toffee or caramel twists in it. My sister and I each tried one to see what they were like and then we understood why no one was taking them. They were pretty awful! I don't like the type of caramel that practically welds your teeth together and gives you a headache to chew it.

I tried the honor system with treats. I set a basket out with great assorted treats and a sign that said ... HAPPY HALLOWEEN >>> Please take one!

only a few kids stopped by ... and apparently took hands full ! I thought well shame on them ... but we refilled the basket to the top ... and only one group came by and I found the basket thrown on the ground ... and they apparently emptied the basket of treats directly into their loot bags and ran. So ... I stopped and put a sign on the door that said ... Sorry ... the treats are all gone because somebody stole them all!

I should have known better. Last year someone wrote to the paper and complained that they put candy in their special bowl ... and their special Halloween treat bowl had been taken as well.

Thiefs ! I hope they all get toothaches It's sad because I have always enjoyed the trick or treaters.
    Quote Originally Posted by pikachu View Post
    Yeah, the honor system never works. If kids find something they like and there's no one there to limit how much they get, they'll take handfuls.

I remember when my sister and I were little, most honor system bowls were empty by the time we got to those houses. The only time we found one that had candy in it, almost a full bowl, there was toffee or caramel twists in it. My sister and I each tried one to see what they were like and then we understood why no one was taking them. They were pretty awful! I don't like the type of caramel that practically welds your teeth together and gives you a headache to chew it.
    Ours worked! And I'm pleasantly surprised, because we had "good stuff."

Neither hubby nor I have ever had kids, so we've always stayed home and doled out treats. (Except for one year when I had a migraine: we out an "honor system take-one" bowl, which was cleaned out by a group of middle-schoolers during the first 15 minutes.)

Well, for the past two weeks, we've been watching the cool decorations going up on the houses that surround our apartment complex. A few days ago, I wondered aloud what they would be like on Hallowe'en night. Hubby suggested that we just go out and mingle on Hallowe'en night so what if we are childfree? Why not experience Hallowe'en on the streets? So we put the treat box on a table at the foot of the stairs to our apartment with a sign that read "Happy Hallowe'en! (Take one.)" and let it go. Not our fault if the honor system wasn't honored.

We had a great time mingling with the neighbors and visitors to the neighborhood! People actually thought it was kinda cool for us to be out for a walk without kids, just enjoying the holiday. We said "happy Hallowe'en" to everyone, admired costumes and decorations, and even walked through the haunted maze that a neighbor family puts up in their driveway every year.

And when we got home, the trick-or-treat box was still half-full. Watching from the kitchen window, I saw/heard kids read "take one" and honor that. We've had several immigrant families move into our neighborhood during the past few years. I believe they've been a good influence on the other kids here.

Anyway, I was pleasantly surprised and looking forward to next year!
    Last edited by Ellen; 11-01-2013 at 12:06 PM.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

FoRTer

Our town asked that people hold off on trick-or-treating until tonight due to rough weather last night. Churches with indoor events went on as planned, but the door-to-door treating and outside activities in town will go on tonight. Funny how even though I changed my calendar this morning, it doesn't quite feel like November to me because we haven't celebrated Halloween yet. (Guess I need some "candy closure". )
    cablejockey and just1paul like this.

Thiefs ! I hope they all get toothaches It's sad because I have always enjoyed the trick-or-treaters.
    I hate it when some bad apples ruin it for everyone. This happened to us a couple of years ago while I was taking my kids out trick-or-treating in the neighborhood. After that I just turned off our outside light until we got back and then passed out candy after that. The trap I ran into this year is that I bought a ton of candy to pass out, but my daughter is 9 now and she can walk a lot farther trick-or-treating so we were out longer than I expected! We only got a handlful of trick-or-treaters after we got back so I am left with an obscene amount of candy!!

The good news is that my daughter is having her class Halloween party this afternoon and I am manning the snack station. In addition to the treat I had planned, I also put together little bags of treats for all of the kids to take home!!!
    Cootie likes this.

I was just heard one one lady say, she had close to 300 at her place. Yikes! how much candy does one buy for that many, and I bet there is nothing left over
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

The kiddies came by and wanted candy though most were too old, but that's okay. I was prepared. The youngest, who is 3, was precious! She was dressed like a southern bell, complete with hoop in her dress and a hat. So cute! Too bad she was sleepy and just wanted to sit on the couch and cuddle. So adorable. I understood that they had to take her across town to visit with her mom's side of the family, but I think she would have been happy with just a little candy and get out of the costume. lol

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Eastcoastmom's Avatar

I think the wee ones are just precious. I had several really young ones; I would gauge under 2. They had NO idea what to do and their parents had to prompt them to say "Happy Halloween" and hold out their bag. I opened the door to find parents standing but no child; turns out I hadn't opened quite fast enough for his liking and he was on the other end of the porch peering into the family room windows. Another little boy stepped right into my foyer when I handed out the treats. They were too cute!
    Ellen likes this.

Mr. (Not so) Perfect Bouncing Balls Champion

I haven't dressed up or celebrated Halloween since I was, like, in elementary school.

I only got two - a brother and sister as Batman and a princess. They were adorable. I had set up a whole scene in my mudroom they had to walk through (nothing too scary) so was glad at least someone got to see it. It was very cold and rainy and I have a long driveway. I never get many, but I was surprised my immediate neighbors didn't come. The leftover candy will go in the kids' Christmas stockings. I got peanut butter Snickers. I tried one and didn't like them.
    Ellen likes this.
    Count your blessings!

+ Reply to Thread