+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6383Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Kip
    FORT Fogey Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Scarlet View Post
    I keep telling myself "I'm too young for that!!!" Plus, I'm in excellent health.
    But accidents happen to everyone. Even bad ones (accidents, not people ), so I guess I'd better start checking in a bit more regularly. I enjoy my privacy & alone time, so doing this would never occur to me.
    My uncle who lived alone used to call my parents every morning at 9:17. (I forget what the significance was of that time.) Sometimes he'd let the phone ring once and hang up; a couple of times a week he'd stay on the line and chat for a couple of minutes.

These days with texting and emailing it's even easier. You can just set it up with a friend or relative that you text or email each day (with no response required).

A woman once called me to buy a copy of an academic journal we published. Her son had an article in it. He had died - he was an assistant professor in his 30s, lived alone, had a heart attack, and was discovered dead a couple of days later. That's always stuck with me.
    inthegarden likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by NorwIndian View Post
    I had never thought of taking an ID when I went out walking. When I walked Harley, I would just grab the leash, some poop bags and be on my way. Until one day I was walking him, stepped off the curb and twisted my ankle.
    I didn't hurt it bad but enough that I had to sit on the curb for a bit before I was able to walk home.

As I was sitting on the curb, I started thinking about all of the things that could happen when I was out walking. I always stuck my ID in my pocket after that.

I also have a severe allergy to a nausea medication. It's not an average allergic reaction. My throat and tongue swell up and it could kill me. I'm supposed to get a bracelet but I never have.
    I always figured that if I had a bad accident or something, they wouldn't be giving me a nausea medication.

After reading all of your stories and comments, I ordered my bracelet.

I love this place! Don't know what I'd do without you guys! You keep me "company".
    Nor. I am allergic to sulfa drugs ... which includes most broad-spectrum antibiotics ... I think I'll order my bracelet too ... just in case.
    NorwIndian likes this.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

Kip
    FORT Fogey Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    Life has a way of rudely catching your attention, sometimes, so never say "Never!"

There you are, minding your own healthy business, and something stupid happens. I remember when the guy who made jogging popular dropped dead while he was out jogging....in his 40s, I think. Done and over with.

Correction: He was 52, and it was AFTER his run. His dad died in his 40s.
    A few years back, my aunt's cardiologist died while jogging. He was 42, slim (though I don't know his weight history or other medical history). Everyone was shocked.

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    I have never tried a Cadbury crème egg. There's nothing about the looks of that egg that appeals to me.
    I used to really like those a lot. But my tastes have changed over the past dozen or so years (with some significant effort). and I'm no longer a fan of sweets.
    Candy? Cakes? Cookies? Sure, I enjoy a bite or two. But more than that? No thanks!
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I used to love those Cadbury creme eggs - I'd get one every year - but now I find they're just too sweet for me. That's pretty much how it is with most candies now, especially stuff like candy corns and Peeps (but also most chocolate). I used to like lots of different candies, but now I rarely eat any. Maybe it's because I don't eat a lot of processed sugar, so now everything is too sweet for me. I have the same issues with salty foods since I don't use a lot of salt when I cook.
    Same here.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Quote Originally Posted by Kip View Post
    A few years back, my aunt's cardiologist died while jogging. He was 42, slim (though I don't know his weight history or other medical history). Everyone was shocked.
    I dated a guy who dropped dead of a heart attack at 44. Although the men in his family had heart issues, he was very healthy - pescatarian/healthy eater, athletic, didn't drink. His condition couldn't have been diagnosed without a very specific cardiac test, which of course he didn't have done. He thought he was doing everything right to prevent problems. His father and the older men in his family were still alive, btw, so it's not like all the men in his family dropped dead in their 40s or something.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

CCL

Quote Originally Posted by echo226 View Post
    Some years ago they started selling those foui wrapped chocolate oranges. the chocolate wad flavored with orange and it broke apart in sections ... just like an orange. I used to eat some kind of orange flavored chocolate when I was younger! Good stuff!
    Terry's Chocolate Orange. There's probably other kinds, too. I think there's one shaped like an apple as well.
    I love Cadbury creme eggs. At Easter they sell them in a three-pack. It's a dangerous thing. I've never tried the Halloween version. I think the green puts me off.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by CCL View Post
    Terry's Chocolate Orange. There's probably other kinds, too. I think there's one shaped like an apple as well.
    I love Cadbury creme eggs. At Easter they sell them in a three-pack. It's a dangerous thing. I've never tried the Halloween version. I think the green puts me off.
    I tried one last Christmas, I loved them at one time, but it tasted too sweet, I can't do sweets like I once did .Now anything savoury, that's a different story
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

All of the talk about young, healthy people dying is the exact reason that I try to never end a visit, phone call, text whatever with my family without saying I love you.

It's also a great reason to not sweat the small stuff in life.
    ~You can't buy love. But you can rescue it~

Mr. (Not so) Perfect Snake 3D Champion, Bouncing Balls Champion

Well, from now on, whenever I feel like I am overreacting to something, I watch this:

Lonely Old Widow in a Downstairs Apartment - YouTube

+ Reply to Thread