+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6383Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

  1. #20371
    FORT Fogey Miss Scarlet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    3,569

    Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

    AZChristian - Thanks from me too. I guess I've never thought of that. I walk the dog regularly. It's a pretty long walk. I live alone & don't have daily contact with anyone, except my job. If it was on a weekend or holiday time, I could lie in a hospital for many days before anyone would know. Even if my son called or stopped by, he'd just assume I was out & would get back to him.
    I used to take my cell phone with me in my pocket, until I read (I think it was here) about the risk of cancer from carrying it next to your body a lot.
    A wallet is awful bulky. Maybe I'll wear a tag saying "Hi, my name is Scarlet. If found please call -----------" Kind of like a dog name tag.
    AZChristian likes this.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

  2. #20372
    Live-Love-Laugh Fanny Mare's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    23,175

    Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

    I didn't hear about the cellphone, but heck if I am out waking the dogs, I doubt ( hope) that will hurt me .Most of the time its tucked away in my purse
    AZChristian likes this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

  3. #20373
    Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Right Here, Right Now
    Posts
    25,291

    Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

    Kip, about the ID in the kids shoes....not to be morbid but, in a bad accident, shoes do fly off. You might want to give that some more thought....even shoes with laces.
    AZChristian likes this.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

    When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

  4. #20374
    FORT Aficionado echo226's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Stuck in the Middle
    Posts
    8,645

    Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

    Quote Originally Posted by Kip View Post
    AZChristian - thanks for the nudge about always carrying ID. I used to put ID info in my kids' shoes for the same reason - if they got hit by a car while riding their bikes, or if they were in an accident while riding in another parents car - they'd be able to be identified.

    My husband walks for an hour every morning - often in the dark. I don't go out too often without ID. I wouldn't trust either of us to not lose our drivers licenses when we're out on a walk - or to remember to put them back in our wallets when we get home. I'm going to make some laminated tags with our names and phone #s to take on occasions when we'd normally go out without ID.
    I went and got a state ID too so I wouldn't have to carry my DL. Might not be a bad idea to carry a copy of that list of medicines and medical issues everyone put together. We all talked about it.

    Also ... at that time someone said they had the info in their phone and I said someone could fall and destroy their phone and some thought that was extreme. I'll bet if you fell off a bicycle or were hit by one and fell ... you could damage or destroy your phone.

    AZ ... sorry about your co-worker friend .. and thank you for sharing his parting gift as a reminder.

    I'm going to suggest to my kids that they do this too.
    AZChristian likes this.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

    " The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

  5. #20375
    Go Teams! inthegarden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    2,338

    Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

    Quote Originally Posted by Miss Scarlet View Post
    - I live alone & don't have daily contact with anyone, except my job. If it was on a weekend or holiday time, I could lie in a hospital for many days before anyone would know. Even if my son called or stopped by, he'd just assume I was out & would get back to him.
    This reminded me of something that happened here last year. There was an elderly man that would shop at the same grocery store that I do. I would see him in the morning, with one or two items in his cart walking around the store visiting. I noticed that I hadn't seen him in awhile, so I asked my regular cashier if she had seen him. She told me, that he had passed away.
    This is what happened, he had no family, the year before he had been sick and couldn't make it to the store. He asked the manager if one of the employees would mind bringing him a few groceries until he recovered. So they did. When they noticed he hadn't been to the store in a while. They tried calling, he didn't answer. They went by his house and couldn't get him to the door. They could hear the TV on and his car was parked in the carport. They called the police and asked for them to do a wellness check and they did. He had had a heart attack and had been dead for several days.
    So...If you live alone make sure you have contact with somebody everyday. If you know somebody that lives alone, check in with them on a regular basis. Just a quick Hi! How are you? Something. If you don't know anybody, there are organizations that will do wellness checks. Make contact.
    Last edited by inthegarden; 10-17-2013 at 05:50 PM.
    Kip, AZChristian and Eastcoastmom like this.

  6. #20376
    Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Right Here, Right Now
    Posts
    25,291

    Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

    Mail delivery people keep an eye out for mail accumulation that is not picked up. Sometimes, your nose will also give you a hint at something being abnormal and the need for investigation.

    I have a bad habit of not picking up my mail everyday, so I could bring myself trouble if I don't watch that habit.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

    When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

  7. #20377
    FORT Fogey Miss Scarlet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    3,569

    Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

    Quote Originally Posted by inthegarden View Post
    This reminded me of something that happened here last year. There was an elderly man that would shop at the same grocery store that I do. I would see him in the morning, with one or two items in his cart walking around the store visiting. I noticed that I hadn't seen him in awhile, so I asked my regular cashier if she had seen him. She told me, that he had passed away.
    This is what happened, he had no family, the year before he had been sick and couldn't make it to the store. He asked the manager if one of the employees would mind bringing him a few groceries until he recovered. So they did. When they noticed he hadn't been to the store in a while. They tried calling, he didn't answer. They went by his house and couldn't get him to the door. They could hear the TV on and his car was parked in the carport. They called the police and asked for them to do a wellness check and they did. He had had a heart attack and had been dead for several days.
    So...If you live alone make sure you have contact with somebody everyday. If you know somebody that lives alone, check in with them on a regular basis. Just a quick Hi! How are you? Something. If you don't know anybody, there are organizations that will do wellness checks. Make contact.
    I keep telling myself "I'm too young for that!!!" Plus, I'm in excellent health.
    But accidents happen to everyone. Even bad ones (accidents, not people ), so I guess I'd better start checking in a bit more regularly. I enjoy my privacy & alone time, so doing this would never occur to me.
    Kip likes this.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

  8. #20378
    Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Right Here, Right Now
    Posts
    25,291

    Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

    Life has a way of rudely catching your attention, sometimes, so never say "Never!"

    There you are, minding your own healthy business, and something stupid happens. I remember when the guy who made jogging popular dropped dead while he was out jogging....in his 40s, I think. Done and over with.


    Correction: He was 52, and it was AFTER his run. His dad died in his 40s.
    Last edited by prhoshay; 10-17-2013 at 06:16 PM.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

    When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

  9. #20379
    Go Teams! inthegarden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    2,338

    Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

    Quote Originally Posted by Miss Scarlet View Post
    I keep telling myself "I'm too young for that!!!" Plus, I'm in excellent health.
    But accidents happen to everyone. Even bad ones (accidents, not people ), so I guess I'd better start checking in a bit more regularly. I enjoy my privacy & alone time, so doing this would never occur to me.
    Me too. I think the same way and that's why I shared this story.
    My independence clouds my better judgement.

  10. #20380
    FORT Fogey Debb70's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    10,274

    Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

    I always carry ID because I got in the habit in college. You always needed your student ID, but then when I became diabetic, I always have it and a medical information card. I'm searching for a bracelet too. I don't even go anywhere without my blood meter either.

    Something tragic can happen at any age. In my first year in law school one of my classmates died suddenly from a brain aneurysm in her apt. alone. She wasn't found until the next day when she didn't show up for class. She was 22 years old. I'm not sure how that could have been avoided though.

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.