+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6180Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

I only get one or two groups of people because I live on a cul de sac and have a long driveway. Too much trouble. I bring my prize candy from school home for the night and then take it back the next day so I'm not tempted. I remember when they first started making the mini chocolate candy versions for Halloween and it was a big deal. I would get bags of my favorites and they would be gone before Halloween. Now you can get them all year long so it isn't tempting anymore. Yea! Now, Cadbury mini-eggs... that's another story.
    Count your blessings!

There really aren't many candies that are only available on holidays are there? The Cadbury that you mentioned is all I can think of.

What I think is sad is that because of DVDs and things, the Christmas shows aren't as special as they were when I was young. I remember being so excited when Rudolph or Frosty would finally come on TV. That's when it felt like Christmas.
    Kids can watch that stuff in July now.
    It takes some of the fun and magic out of them, in my opinion.
    ~You can't buy love. But you can rescue it~

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

As a retiree, I get an electronic copy of the company's weekly newsletter. It includes obituaries, and I was surprised to read of the death of one of the senior directors of the company. He was 63 and still working and, as far as I knew, in good health. I sent an e-mail to a former co-worker, asking what happened.

He was out on a morning run a week or so ago and had a collision with a bicyclist in an isolated area. Both of them were knocked unconscious, and lay there until a passing motorist found them and called for police and an ambulance. Mike's head injury caused swelling of his brain, and we was placed into a medically induced coma while they waited for the swelling to subside. It never did, and he was determined to be brain dead a few days after the accident. His family had to make the difficult decision to remove him from life support.

The point of sharing the story is this. While Mike was out running alone in an isolated area, he had NO identification on him. He was in the hospital for quite some time before his family was able to track him down, since the police had no way of notifying them. Mike was a brilliant engineer and a senior director of a large utility company. But he didn't use his common sense in what turned out to be a critical situation. I don't run (bad knees and no desire), but I NEVER leave my house unless I have ID in my pocket. Please think about this story if you are a runner or a bicyclist.
    cablejockey, waywyrd and Kip like this.

Thanks for sharing that story AZChristian. It's great he was running, but so sad things happened the way they did. Your point is well taken.

In recent years, I have had a difficult time convincing my mother to carry her id with her at all times when she leave the house. I have explained the reasons why, but she is so resistent. It's difficult to understand why she doesn't want to take it with her. She is very against taking her purse and when I suggest that she just take her id, she refuses. It's the oddest thing. She's only 72 and doesn't suffer from dementia. In fact she taught school until recently.

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

Debb - please share Mike's story with her. I live in a senior adult community. Sometimes I go over to the clubhouse to use the workout room equipment, and had a health scare there a couple of years ago. Even though I don't always carry my purse in there, I ALWAYS have my ID and a card with my husband's phone number on it. You just never know.
    Debb70 likes this.

I don't even take the dogs out in the mornings without my ID. I have my small old cell phone and some ID in the same pocket when I go out
    How sad this happened to your former colleague AZ, precious minutes ticked away as he had no ID on him- thanks for sharing this, and good thoughts for his family. How sad.
    AZChristian likes this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I've learned that common sense isn't very common. Some things are just stupid. My sister, who has a history of a bad, weak knee likes to go out walking; she lives in a rather wooded area where there's not a lot of passing traffic. I had to get on her about taking her phone with her in case she went down and became disabled; it has happened before. Her argument was that she was NOT going to be answering her phone when she was out walking and relaxing. To me, that is where stupidity entered the picture; I had to remind her dumb arse that just because she was carrying a phone didn't mean that it had to be ON and available for incoming calls. She got quiet and then said, "Yeah...I never thought about that; I guess you're right." I always did see her as the family's weak link. She's the cave drawing that never seemed to walk upright. And this woman was a teacher!!!
    AZChristian and Debb70 like this.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by NorwIndian View Post
    I've read that there is a big decline in kids going door to door these days. More parents are opting for parties and trick or treating in malls and things like that instead.
    Have you guys noticed a decline?

Do/did you guys go the homemade costume route for your kids or did you buy them? I made some awesome homemade ones until the kids got older and decided that the store bought ones were "cooler".

One of my costumes won my kids first prize in the duo category at my husbands work party. 2 years in a row!
    I haven't seen a decline in door-to-door trick-or-treaters here, but I think it is mostly due to my location. The neighborhood I live in is a small town, suburban area where most people know most of the neighbors so people feel safe trick-or-treating with their kids. I am always surprised that some young children are allowed to go out with older siblings rather than adults. On dark streets crowded with people in costumes, I would be very worried about a young child getting separated from the siblings!

Quote Originally Posted by NorwIndian View Post
    There really aren't many candies that are only available on holidays are there? The Cadbury that you mentioned is all I can think of.
    I haven't seen Cadbury mini eggs yet for Halloween, but I did see a Halloween version of the creme egg at a gas station the other day! They were calling it the Cadbury Screme Egg and it had a green yolk

Kip
    FORT Fogey Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

AZChristian - thanks for the nudge about always carrying ID. I used to put ID info in my kids' shoes for the same reason - if they got hit by a car while riding their bikes, or if they were in an accident while riding in another parents car - they'd be able to be identified.

My husband walks for an hour every morning - often in the dark. I don't go out too often without ID. I wouldn't trust either of us to not lose our drivers licenses when we're out on a walk - or to remember to put them back in our wallets when we get home. I'm going to make some laminated tags with our names and phone #s to take on occasions when we'd normally go out without ID.

I'm going to suggest to my kids that they do this too.

+ Reply to Thread