+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6753Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

I had no help, and we always had tons of homework I also had to help my brother, my dad worked two jobs and my mum was of no help. My brother had such a tough time in school, with being bullied, I so wanted him to do well.

I didn't help my children that much, but my ex did.
    Last edited by Fanny Mare; 10-11-2013 at 05:06 PM.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

pikachu...your poor nephew! Teachers know their students....or so we hope!

I was a kid who refused to do art, so my mom and a friend built me a shadowbox based on the Black Beauty story once in 4th grade. She finally figured out that her teasing me that I drew like a baby contributed to my refusal to do art. I got an F for the year in art in 2nd grade because I just totally refused to take part in my art "final"; I just sat there with my hands folded....no kidding. Years later, I discovered that I wasn't as horrible as I had been convinced that I was.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    pikachu...your poor nephew! Teachers know their students....or so we hope!

I was a kid who refused to do art, so my mom and a friend built me a shadowbox based on the Black Beauty story once in 4th grade. She finally figured out that her teasing me that I drew like a baby contributed to my refusal to do art. I got an F for the year in art in 2nd grade because I just totally refused to take part in my art "final"; I just sat there with my hands folded....no kidding. Years later, I discovered that I wasn't as horrible as I had been convinced that I was.
    Oh my gosh. That makes me sad. I hope that you have tried it again. Everybody is an artist in their on special way.

Let's put it this way.....I never got another F in art again. I did what I had to do but I was never happy about it nor would I share it with anybody, if I could help it. Maybe that's why I have very little use for arts and crafts, to this day.

I quit the stupid girl scouts because of arts and crafts! (wake me when it's over!)

I DID help build a parade float in my first semester in college! I have no idea HOW I got involved in that! That only required me to twist Kleenex around chicken wire.
    Last edited by prhoshay; 10-11-2013 at 05:21 PM.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    Let's put it this way.....I never got another F in art again. I did what I had to do but I was never happy about it nor would I share it with anybody, if I could help it. Maybe that's why I have very little use for arts and crafts, to this day.

I quit the stupid girl scouts because of arts and crafts! (wake me when it's over!)

I DID help build a parade float in my first semester in college! I have no idea HOW I got involved in that! That only required me to twist Kleenex around chicken wire.
    I liked your post. It shows we all have stuff that's our "thing" & stuff that just plain isn't, and people should understand & accept that.

Personally I always loved art. I loved all things Math too. Numbers are my thing. I read somewhere that the numbers/art combination is common. Kind of a right brain/left brain thing.

The thing I've always despised is anything having to do with cooking. I've tried. When my children were young & at home I forced myself to cook nearly all of our meals & was actually a pretty good cook. But I despised every moment of it. It never changed. I despise cooking to this day.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

I love cooking and am quite crafty but couldn't solve an algebra problem if my life depended on it. I flunked that subject in school and still cannot grasp the concept of it.
    You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to.

I didn't think I could do math/algebra either until I became determined that it was not going to defeat me. I think it's also about having the right teachers, too. I don't think they do a very good job of teaching it, in this country. I've not noticed many teachers with that "can do" attitude when it comes to imparting the knowledge. It's more like "you either get it, or you don't". I hate that.

I remember one of my college instructors actually asking himself if he had actually done a good job of explaining it, and deciding that he hadn't. Lucky for me! I love and remember that man, 'til this day.
    AZChristian and Sticker like this.

When I was in school, all I had to do was read the chapter we were covering in Math Classes, sometimes just skim it, and I'd pick it up instantly. Subsequently I'd goof off in class pretty bad. When the teachers would call me to the board to prove I wasn't paying attention & embarass me, I'd whip throught the problem & get it right every time. They didn't know what to do with me.
    Most of them really disliked me because of that.

Those that understood gave me more complicated stuff to figure out that challenged me, or asked me to help explain the assignments, or help some of the others.
    They appreciated me & I them. Those were the teachers I learned the most from & really learned to enjoy Math from.
    Ellen, Cootie and Sticker like this.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

Miss Scarlet - I was just like you. They made me a math tutor in middle school. I remember being rebuked by a peer for using the word "obviously" when explaining my work at the board in class. I was truly shocked. I thought it was obvious. My college math teacher wanted me to switch majors or at least minor in math. I think it had more to do with funding than any brilliance on my part.
    But I can't claim any credit. Things like that are just gifts. I can't play an instrument or do the simplest car repair/maintenance. I don't have even a drop of interest in sports. I love fashion, but refuse to wear heels, pantyhose, or makeup. I don't even own a full-length mirror. We're all built differently (thank God!) so there's no shame or pride in any of it. Celebrate what you can do and try to improve what you can't if you want to.
    Cootie, nennie and AZChristian like this.
    Count your blessings!

Middle school arrogance can be hard to stomach. Your classmates will be quick to let you know that! It may not be what you intend to convey, but that's how the other kids will read it, and they will dog you out behind your back!

+ Reply to Thread