+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5846Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Quote Originally Posted by Kip View Post
    AZ Christian, good for you signing up for an algebra course! I LOVED algebra (it was the fun of solving puzzles), and was good at geometry and trigonometry.

Sticker - I am so impressed at your calculus background. I always got As in math up to calculus in high school. After 2 weeks, I was still lost and transferred out.

I just got a "Secrets of Mental Math" dvd course from The Teaching Company. I'm too busy to watch it for the next week though.
    Dont feel bad...It is very bizarre and I also struggled too at first. I remember having to spend lots of time in the early concepts of Calculus. Once you get past the initial hurdle of understanding it, it gets much easier. But I do remember it took me awhile to grasp the concepts of it at first, so dont feel bad at all.
    AZChristian likes this.

I've also always loved math and found algebra fun and challenging. Maybe I'll try to find an online calculus course since I did struggle with that.

I think I always had difficulty with the concept of imaginary numbers (e.g., i is the square root of -1). I mean, if a square root is a number that you multiply by itself to get the square, and if a negative x a negative is always a positive, how can there be a square root of -1? I always rebelled at that.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

MIT has a pretty large offering of free online courses in a broad variety of subjects: Courses | MIT OpenCourseWare | Free Online Course Materials

edx.org also has free online classes from top universities.

I keep telling myself I'm going to do some courses online just to keep my mind nimble, but then life gets crazy and I forget. It's on my to-do list....along with dozens of other things!
    inthegarden and AZChristian like this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by AZChristian View Post
    My latest insane idea:

I am 66 and have never successfully completed an Algebra course. So I'm working on an online course and supplementing it with Algebra for Dummies. Don't ask me why. I don't know, other than I just want to prove to myself that I can do it.
    Wow, good for you.
    I work with numbers all the time & am a Sudoku fanatic. Hmmmmmmm, I wonder if there's Competitive Sudoku, as in timed races. I'm quite quick.

Anyhow, if I ever go back to any type of school, it would be to learn stuff like pottery, or something like that. Right now, yoga class & square dancing are as far as I go in taking classes.
    AZChristian likes this.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel View Post
    I've also always loved math and found algebra fun and challenging. Maybe I'll try to find an online calculus course since I did struggle with that.

I think I always had difficulty with the concept of imaginary numbers (e.g., i is the square root of -1). I mean, if a square root is a number that you multiply by itself to get the square, and if a negative x a negative is always a positive, how can there be a square root of -1? I always rebelled at that.
    Yep, this is in that section that's written in Greek with the Egyptian footnotes. I'll have to ponder on this a bit. LOL.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Square dancing sounds like great fun! I remember the nuns making us learn some of it in grade school.

Boys with sweaty hands.........eeeewwwwwwwww... ....that's a memory I could do without.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Here's a question.....Did you do your childrens' homework? Parents! Aunts and uncles?

I remember one of the tutors, who volunteered where I did, would do that. I could not believe my eyes, and she admitted, "Well, I just go ahead and do it." She was older than me, but I gave her a piece of my mind....politely, and carefully choosing my words, mind you.

When my son was in school, I did enjoy sitting down at the same time he did, and he'd do his homework, and I'd do my version of his homework. That was kind of fun. He seemed to be less resistant if he saw that I was doing it, too! With the kids at tutoring who hated to read, especially in a subject that required them to read and answer questions, I'd give the material a quick read-through (especially science!), and I'd tell them, "I see the answer!" They'd say, "You do?". Being reassured that the answer was indeed there, they seemed to relax and find the answer themselves. I used to get a kick out of racing one kid to the answers in math; he was one of my competitive ones. I'd always get the giggles while working out the problems, watching him trying to beat me. I sure do miss those brats!
    Ellen likes this.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I never did my kids' homework. They were pretty good about taking responsibility for it.
    Count your blessings!

I don't do the kids homework but help them to understand a question if needed.
    You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to.

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

I didn't exactly do my nephew's for him once but I did recopy it. His handwriting is so atrocious. I asked him to redo his math homework a few times because his writing was too light in some places and too scribbly to be legible in other places. He wouldn't do it any better, though, so finally I recopied his homework for him. I didn't change his answers, just made them legible.

He ended up getting in trouble at school because his teacher accused him of having someone else do his homework for him so I never did that again.

I was a good student and wanted to do well in school to please my parents and to show my teachers that I was smart but I guess my nephew never cared about those things. Nothing I could say or do could make him change. I had to learn to let go and let him sink or swim on his own merits.
    Current Pools: Masterchef 5, So You Think You Can Dance 11
    Upcoming Pools: Face Off 7 Registration Deadline: July 29th, Project Runway 13 Registration Deadline: July 31st

+ Reply to Thread