+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5817Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

I have to admit that as a child I had a pretty "fairy tale" view of what marriage was supposed to be when I was young.

I got married very young, still a teenager. We didn't have money for a big fancy wedding, we got married at the courthouse. My reality is that a lasting marriage takes commitment and effort! It isn't "happily ever after every day of the year for the rest of your life". We have both gone through periods where we are frustrated with each other and get busy and too focused on our own "stuff". Then we will turn it around and set aside some time together to "reignite". At the end of the day our strengths complement each other and we make a good team. We have four children and celebrated our 20th anniversary earlier this year.

Both my parents and my husband's parents are still married. Maybe it helps that we have seen our own parents work through issues over the years.
    Hyper, nennie and Miss Scarlet like this.

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

My latest insane idea:

I am 66 and have never successfully completed an Algebra course. So I'm working on an online course and supplementing it with Algebra for Dummies. Don't ask me why. I don't know, other than I just want to prove to myself that I can do it.
    Ellen, Kip, shyra and 4 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by AZChristian View Post
    My latest insane idea:

I am 66 and have never successfully completed an Algebra course. So I'm working on an online course and supplementing it with Algebra for Dummies. Don't ask me why. I don't know, other than I just want to prove to myself that I can do it.
    That's really neat and I think its great. I have always loved math classes, and my proudest accomplishment in college was passing Calculus 1, 2, and 3 with an A, B, B respectively.

However, when I got to Chemistry 2, I didnt fare so well and dropped that class before it hurt my GPA.....LOL

Good Luck with your Algebra course.....It should be "fun". If I remember right, you will learn all about algebraic equations, powers, square roots, and maybe even Sine+Cosine + Tangents if your lucky

The Sine + Cosine formulas are fascinating and make great wavy curves on charts
    AZChristian likes this.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Good for you!!!! I had such lousy math teachers in high school that I took remedial algebra in my early semester in college, and I supplemented it with a programmed learning book I found in the bookstore. That book was heaven sent....and so was my determination!! I kicked into overdrive, and actually fell in love with algebra. I found out that I actually COULD handle the load. This book gave me problems with the answers and showed the exact work in the back of the book. It all fell into place quite nicely! My maturity helped, too. I wasn't immediately going to the back and scarfing down the answers unless I was truly stumped. I found out I loved the numbers game! It did wonders for my confidence, just like it will yours. AZ, I am soooo proud of you!!!!! Some people, unfortunately, are content to just sit around and feel defeated and believe that they can't do it. YOU GO, GIRL!!!
    Lizard, AZChristian and Sticker like this.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

That is great AZ way to go
    AZChristian and Sticker like this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

Thanks for the encouragement. I think that when I started working Sodoku, my brain said, "If you can figure out the logic of these boxes, you can figure out Algebra. Now DO IT!"

What's working well is that I have plenty of time to review and rework until the concepts sink in. It seems like with every college course I took, I'd be fine one chapter, and then it looked like the next chapter was written in Greek with footnotes in Egyptian hieroglyphics, supplemented by Chinese. And in a classroom setting, the teacher didn't usually have time to explain something multiple times to those of us who were English majors. LOL.
    Sticker likes this.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I remember going and sitting in their offices until they HAD to work one-on-one with me to get rid of me!

I actually think they were glad to see a struggling student who was really trying to improve. They always made time for me.
    AZChristian and Sticker like this.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Kip
    FORT Fogey Shoot The Gems Hard Champion, Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

AZ Christian, good for you signing up for an algebra course! I LOVED algebra (it was the fun of solving puzzles), and was good at geometry and trigonometry.

Sticker - I am so impressed at your calculus background. I always got As in math up to calculus in high school. After 2 weeks, I was still lost and transferred out.

I just got a "Secrets of Mental Math" dvd course from The Teaching Company. I'm too busy to watch it for the next week though.

Quote Originally Posted by AZChristian View Post
    Thanks for the encouragement. I think that when I started working Sodoku, my brain said, "If you can figure out the logic of these boxes, you can figure out Algebra. Now DO IT!"

What's working well is that I have plenty of time to review and rework until the concepts sink in. It seems like with every college course I took, I'd be fine one chapter, and then it looked like the next chapter was written in Greek with footnotes in Egyptian hieroglyphics, supplemented by Chinese. And in a classroom setting, the teacher didn't usually have time to explain something multiple times to those of us who were English majors. LOL.
    I know exactly what you mean and that was what happened to me in my Chem II class. I remember it all too well. I always attended every class and took srupulous notes. I got a really good score on the first test, and went into the 2nd test thinking all would be fine. When I looked at the questions on that 2nd test, I wondered if the teacher handed out the wrong test or something.

I never could grasp where she was coming from or how her complex questions related to what I studied. When I finally went back and reviewed my 40 points I got on this test (ouch), I realized she was asking questions inbetween the sections I highlighted.
    Since I could not commit the whole book to memory, that class and me didnt get along too well.
    AZChristian likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    I remember going and sitting in their offices until they HAD to work one-on-one with me to get rid of me!

I actually think they were glad to see a struggling student who was really trying to improve. They always made time for me.

OMG , they did that with me!! one on one . My teacher was Scottish, she spoke at a rapid speed and I couldn't understand her. I took courses later when I could, because I did the accounting for our business .
    AZChristian likes this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

+ Reply to Thread