+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6256Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

In my own little world where all things are Idol......
    I'm 40 years old now and I had a full hysterectomy back in September '05. I was prescribed Prim-pro for my hormones. Since that time I have put on a good 35 lbs..maybe more but I refuse to get on the scale and see exactly how much.

I quit taking my hormones cold turkey about 2 months ago....mostly because I am so far past broke its not even funny. What are the pitfalls and/or side effects for not taking the hormones? I have noticed that my hot flashes have returned but I haven't really picked up on anything else.

Naturally I have not told anyone that I am doing this...even though I'm 40, my mom would still want to kick my butt and she doesn't have the money to help me out either. Hopefully I can get back on my feet financially in the next couple of months and maybe I can pick back up on the prescription but until then I was wondering if anyone had any words of wisdom they might want to pass along......Are there any herbs I can take that might help me until then? I am taking a multi-vitamin each day if that's any consolation.....
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

My mom stopped taking hormones after about a year or two and had no side effects. She said her doctor scolded her and scolded her, but she says she's fine. I'm sure its different for everyone. Its probably best to stay on them if you can possibly find a way.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

Bbnbama I saw Ann Curry interview a woman yesterday about hormones. The conceses is if you don't need them don't take them. If you can suffer through the hot flashes without them then do so. They have a lot of negative side effects.

Premium Member
    There has been a lot of talk in the news about how the breast cancer rates have sharply declined since many post-menopausal women have stopped taking the hormones. I would say if you are doing ok without them then it's all good. Here's one article:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16206352/

MRD
    I used to work for an OB/GYN. We had women taking them and women not taking them. There have been studies done on both sides of the issue. I realize money is a problem, but I STRONGLY urge you to seek professional advice on this one. This is a fairly serious issue and you need sound medical advice from a doctor who specializes in this.

And yes, there are natural supplements. I've seen them advertised. Do they work? I don't know. BUT talk to a dr. first.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I believe that Cold FX is now available in the U.S. My family swears by it. Take it when colds start going around and you will never get one. Our Edm. Oilers have taken it for years and swear by it for stopping colds before they start. Mind you, it hasn't helped their scoring

bbnbama: I have used accupuncture and it stopped the hot flashes cold. And night sweats as well. Mind you, if I eat garlic (don't ask me why this happens) the night sweats return. You should see if your insurance covers 10 sessions. That would be enough to fix it. But see a licensed Medical Doctor of Traditional Chinese Medicine. MD of TCM.

Jewelsy: So you're going to try the chocolate graham cracker with cool whip and freeze it. Where does your tequila fit in? Do you mix it with the cool whip? Does tequila freeze?
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Quote Originally Posted by misskitty;2183231;

Jewelsy: So you're going to try the chocolate graham cracker with cool whip and freeze it. Where does your tequila fit in? Do you mix it with the cool whip? Does tequila freeze?
    No but if she drinks enough she'll think it's frozen or actually not give a damn.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

Trying to free myself from the snarkside.
    Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2183229;
    I used to work for an OB/GYN. We had women taking them and women not taking them. There have been studies done on both sides of the issue. I realize money is a problem, but I STRONGLY urge you to seek professional advice on this one. This is a fairly serious issue and you need sound medical advice from a doctor who specializes in this.

And yes, there are natural supplements. I've seen them advertised. Do they work? I don't know. BUT talk to a dr. first.
    The natural supplements work but with a much lower potency. You can also get plant-based estrogens (which are the same things in the natural supplements) from soy, tofu, legumes, alfalfa and other things in your diet.

I would still recommend asking your doctor. Here are some links.

http://www.menopause.org/default.htm
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/menopause/DS00119

Premium Member
    Here's another article with good info about HRT. Obviously it's not a life or death issue since many women (myself included) do not take them at all. You can start or stop the therapy at any time, although the recommendation is that you taper off your dose rather than just quit. The need for HRT is more of an issue for you because of your young age, but just like anything else in medicine it's not without risk.

http://www.niapublications.org/tipsheets/hormones.asp

I can't add anything to the hormone discussion, yet. But in just a few years, I'll probably be asking all the same questions.

Can I change the subject just for a bit? Apparently the Fort has become a larger presence in my world than I had realized. I was out shopping this weekend and you all kept popping up all over the place. I saw a bag of doggie treats that said Marley Bones, of course when I got closer I saw that it was Meaty Bones. Then I saw one of those CD kiosks. It had the standards, you know - Frank Sinatra, Bing Crosby, Gabriel, I mean Dean Martin and a whole display of Miss Kitty, I mean Hello Kitty products. There was a Christmas stocking with MyRosieDog's Florida Gators on it. (Really unusual, since I am 2000 miles from Florida.) And last, but never least, Newfherder was in town. I know because the truck had a personalized plate, "NEWFHRDR," in the window. Just wanted to share that. You guys get around!

+ Reply to Thread