+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5813Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyK View Post
    Yeah, I know that's probably what I should do. But I get too obsessed and too attached. and that isn't good.
    If something makes you upset, angry etc Take that out of the equation, and it's one less thing for you to worry about. I am not saying quit these shows forever, I am just suggesting you take a break and then see how you feel. You might start feeling better- and that's a good thing.- right?
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Kip
    FORT Fogey Shoot The Gems Hard Champion, Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

Quote Originally Posted by PhoneGrrrl View Post
    Today I spent most of the day in the hospital with my Dad. He had to go in for a procedure (kidney stone blasting, nothing scary), and since he'd be looped up on pain meds, he needed a ride home and Mom is out with a hip problem. I've never had to sit through the intake process. He was pre admitted, so the forms were already filled out. But after that it took TWO HOURS to get the vital stats and go through his regular meds (which he printed up in advance in a document because he's as anal as I am). Then it took another TWO HOURS for the procedure. Well, that's not accurate. The kidney stone blasting took about 45 minutes. The doc didn't show up for an hour, fifteen because he FORGOT. (Uh, no Outlook/Google calendar?) Is this usual? What's y'all's experience?
    I'm not sure I've ever had a doc forget to show up (at least not admit to it).

In the last few years, I've had more contact with the medical profession than I'd wish to with an elderly mother, elderly aunt, elderly mother in law, and brother with cancer.

It used to drive me crazy when I'd take my mother into the hospital (the same one she'd used since the 1950s), and they'd ask a ton of information and enter it into the computer. The next time we'd go in, we'd have to do it all over again. I was starting to think their keyboards weren't attached to the computer because they never seemed to have any of the information we had given them.

My mother had the procedure done where they inject dye into veins and had a really bad reaction to the dye and ended up staying in the hospital for 3 days. A couple of years later she needed to have the procedure done again. I was in the hallway with her, next to the hospital bed, waiting for them to wheel them into the room where it was done. When they came to take her in, I asked if they knew she had had a bad reaction to a particular dye the last time. NO, they weren't!!!

Many stories like that. I would recommend that any time someone goes into the hospital that they have someone stay with them to make sure staff is aware of various issues.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PhoneGrrrl View Post
    Today I spent most of the day in the hospital with my Dad. He had to go in for a procedure (kidney stone blasting, nothing scary), and since he'd be looped up on pain meds, he needed a ride home and Mom is out with a hip problem. I've never had to sit through the intake process. He was pre admitted, so the forms were already filled out. But after that it took TWO HOURS to get the vital stats and go through his regular meds (which he printed up in advance in a document because he's as anal as I am). Then it took another TWO HOURS for the procedure. Well, that's not accurate. The kidney stone blasting took about 45 minutes. The doc didn't show up for an hour, fifteen because he FORGOT. (Uh, no Outlook/Google calendar?) Is this usual? What's y'all's experience?

I seem to have my best luck scheduling things early in the week, and as early in the day as possible. People in the offices/hospitals seem to be more alert at that time. I used to keep a list of my meds in my phone, and just handed the phone over to the nurse or whomever; I've got to refresh that, now that I think about it. You just never know when you will need to tell people what all you are taking.....a doctor's office, EMS, etc. Even if your record is electronic, people will still ask you, and there may be mistakes. My docs have been fantastic about being on time. Earlier just seems to be better.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

They have to triple check everything because of their fear of malpractice suits. But it is frustrating because EVERYTHING in a hospital setting seems to take forever!

I have finally found a primary care doctor who sticks to her schedule (barring emergencies). I commented on that to her assistant and she said, "In this practice, we are taught that the patients' time is important, too." The last doctor I had would be running an hour behind by his first appointment of the day.

Reminds me of an old joke: "What is the difference between God and a surgeon?"

(Answer: God doesn't believe He's a surgeon . . . )

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    I seem to have my best luck scheduling things early in the week, and as early in the day as possible. People in the offices/hospitals seem to be more alert at that time. I used to keep a list of my meds in my phone, and just handed the phone over to the nurse or whomever; I've got to refresh that, now that I think about it. You just never know when you will need to tell people what all you are taking.....a doctor's office, EMS, etc. Even if your record is electronic, people will still ask you, and there may be mistakes. My docs have been fantastic about being on time. Earlier just seems to be better.
    Wow. Thanks for the prescription tip. I have mine in the computer and then forget to print it out when I go to an appointment. You're right, it could be asked for at any time and, since the phone is with you, that makes it the logical place to keep that information.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

I've kept my medications/supplements list on my Blackberry for years. Several years ago, I had an episode of Transient Global Amnesia. I, of course, remember nothing of it (that's why they call it amnesia). When my husband took me to the ER, they asked if he knew if I was on any meds. He said to me, "Give me your Blackberry." I gave it to him, and he realized that he had NO idea how to access it (he's addicted to a dumb phone). So he handed it over to the 20-something clerk behind the admissions desk, and within 20 seconds, the clerk had found the list. His comment to my husband, "It would sure make our lives easier if everybody did this!"

I've now expanded the list to include dates of my last tetanus shot, pneumonia shot, and due date for my next colonoscopy. 'Cause us old folks can't remember ANYTHING.
    Hyper likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies View Post
    Wow. Thanks for the prescription tip. I have mine in the computer and then forget to print it out when I go to an appointment. You're right, it could be asked for at any time and, since the phone is with you, that makes it the logical place to keep that information.
    Don't forget to include non-prescriptions on that list, too. Due to a blood clot history, I am on one aspirin/day (81 mg), and medical people need to know that so that they won't give you another one. There is also a med that I only take once/week; meds are assumed to be taken every day unless you state otherwise.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyK View Post
    So I want to say that today I am not feeling as angry or pissed off as I have the last few days.

That of course, can change on a whim. The slightest trigger can click in my brain and I will go back to the hateful me.

Just so you all know.
    Sometimes I can get cantankerous and don't even realize it until someone asks what's up ot what caused it.

So, JK ... I think one advantage is that you know what triggers the moods ... and you can process through the "hateful me" part of it.

You also know that the reality shows aren't exactly completely "real".

Keep on keeping on.
    JohnnyK likes this.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

When I get cantankerous, I get on my OWN nerves....nobody needs to tell me. It's about that time that I usually "retreat into my shell"; a good nap and solitude does me wonders.....a lot like a grouchy toddler.

The medications list is something I have been doing since before I was taking any meds. I did it for my Dad.

I kept a file and updated as his conditions/medications changed.

Name
    Date of Birth
    Allergies

Any relevant conditions such as Diabetes, Pacemaker, artificial parts ... etc.)

Prescription Medications
    For each (include dosage and schedule/times per day)

Non-Prescription Medications ... OTC and supplements
    For each (include dosage and schedule/times per day)

Hospitalizations ...
    Admin/Discharge dates ... Reason
    Start with most recent and list in reverse Chronological order

Emergency contact Phone#

Personal Physician Name & Phone number

I kept this in my purse and on my refrigerator for Paramedics to find and extras.

Every time there was a medication change I updated it.

ETA I think it would be easy to fall and damage a smart phone with all the information, so a paper backup is a good idea.
    Last edited by echo226; 10-05-2013 at 08:18 PM.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

+ Reply to Thread