+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6435Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    Unfortunately, ALL flus are not covered in "the flu shot". They plan for which flus are most likely to be prevalent that year. That does not mean that you cannot contract an uncovered strain. Different strains require different things; thus it is very important to remember your flu hygiene precautions. And if you do think you're getting or have gotten a flu see your doctor soon, since it may be something different than you think. Staying in bed is not exactly a diagnostic tool.
    They told people here to stay home( stay in bed), drink fluids, it was a nasty strain of the flu going around. I got it for two days, my immune system is pretty good. But others were very ill( and had the shot) I have a month to think about it all. Even when it isn't flu season I wash my hands all the time.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

I wish I had gotten my shot when I was at the doctor's office last week. There was so much going on, I forgot and I can't believe they forgot to ask me! That's never happened before.

I had also passed on it at the pharmacy who offered it. It's free for me anywhere I get it. Now, I have something like a cold or possibly allegies. I didn't get much sleep. I'm all stuffy, achy and a little hot feeling. Lots of drainage. I know it sounds like a cold, but I have had this before, but then it disappeared pronto for some unknown reason. It's odd how it works that way with me. Never can tell which it is. Still, I'll have to wait to get my flu shot until he lets up.

I have to get the flu shot. As a Type I diabetic, it would be crazy for me to risk it. People with compromised immunity like we have, can die from something like the flu. I've gotten it most years for a long time and have avoided the flu, though I do wash my hands about 20 times per day in flu season. I'm not kidding.

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

I didn't get the flu shot when I was younger but now that I'm over 40 and have asthma, metabolic syndrome, and prediabetes, I think I need it. Your body doesn't bounce back from getting sick as easy when you get older and it can set of a series of catastrophic events. My dad and stepmother have both ended up in the hospital when they've gotten the flu from dehydration and complications from their existing medical conditions.

While looking up pharmacies to see if any of them are giving flu shots yet and how much they charge, I found that there's also a vaccine for pneumonia. It's recommended for people who have asthma or diabetes so I asked my doctor's office about it when I called to schedule an appointment for the flu shot. The nurse told me the doctor would talk to me about it to determine if I was a candidate for that shot.

I definitely believe in the old saying an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. If I can head off weeks of coughing and gasping for air with a few shots, I'll gladly do it!
    Ellen likes this.
    Current Pools: Face Off 7, Project Runway 13
    New Pools: DWTS 19, Registration deadline: September 22nd, Survivor 29, Registration deadline: October 1st,
    Amazing Race 25, Registration deadline: October 3rd

Here are some CDC pages outlining personal prevention tips.

http://www.cdc.gov/flu/pdf/freeresou...preventive.pdf

CDC - Seasonal Influenza (Flu) - CDC Says Take 3 Actions To Fight The Flu

I had lunch with and then accompanied a friend and the lady she cares for to a Senior Bingo.

They passed out re-usable Bingo cards ... with little slides to cover the numbers called.
    When I got a nasty URI ... I realized it was probably from those unsanitary cards that had been touched by many germy hands!

There are so many places to pick up germs ... grocery carts, gas pumps, the flush handle and door handles in public bathrooms ... etc. When you touch something or someone ... just think about it and make sure you wash your hands WELL.

Okay. Now I am becoming a seasonal germophobe!
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by echo226 View Post
    Here are some CDC pages outlining personal prevention tips.

http://www.cdc.gov/flu/pdf/freeresou...preventive.pdf

CDC - Seasonal Influenza (Flu) - CDC Says Take 3 Actions To Fight The Flu

I had lunch with and then accompanied a friend and the lady she cares for to a Senior Bingo.

They passed out re-usable Bingo cards ... with little slides to cover the numbers called.
    When I got a nasty URI ... I realized it was probably from those unsanitary cards that had been touched by many germy hands!

There are so many places to pick up germs ... grocery carts, gas pumps, the flush handle and door handles in public bathrooms ... etc. When you touch something or someone ... just think about it and make sure you wash your hands WELL.

Okay. Now I am becoming a seasonal germophobe!
    I always wash down handles on shopping carts, you should see what comes off. I just carry a baggy with some wipes in them, takes a few secs..
    -Andy Rooney-

Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Mare View Post
    I always wash down handles on shopping carts, you should see what comes off. I just carry a baggy with some wipes in them, takes a few secs..

<<< Note the clean thumb!
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

Yeah, I'm a freak about it too. Not so much in my home, but I'm more concerned with door handles, shopping cart handles, bathroom door handles, gas pump handles, and the devices at check outs. I keep sanitizer in my purse and use as often as I can.

When at the office, I wash my hands lots. Just touching things around the office can be risky. Church is the worst. In the middle of flu season those people insist on shaking your hand. I know it's the friendly thing to do, but OMG. If you're sick don't shake my hand....but they do. They cough and then shake your hand. Ugggh... I take my sanitizer and use it as discretely as possible. This year, I'm considering some gloves for church. lol

Last season, during the flu season, I saw a church on the news that put a band on shaking hands until the flu season ended. I thought that was a great idea.

Yes, Debb wear gloves Where my MIL attends church, they asked not to shake hands during flu season.- she was okay with that. I used to carry sanitizer in my purse , but man my hands felt dry, so then I had hand cream in my purse, finally I said enough! certain things I will wash down, others , well we have to live
    -Andy Rooney-

I'm getting a flu shot. I don't like to take medicine and hate shots. The flu is worse.
    The winter we had cows calving and I had to work outside in 20 degree and below snowy weather with the flu, cured me from not having a flu shot. It was double .

The wipes and hand sanitizer are all good precautions but some germs are immune to alcohol and it takes plain old soap and water to kill them.

All the grocer stores here have containers of wet wipes at the entrance so you can clean off the cart before you use it.

I try to be careful about touching things, especially during cold and flu season, but I try not to use too many antibacterial products. The proliferation of them is leading to "super bugs" that are resistant to them. If you just wash your hand thoroughly with regular soap and warm/hot water, you're fine.

I always have hand sanitizer in my purse and car in case of emergencies, but I prefer not to use it. I also have baby wipes in the car - sample size packets so they don't take up much room - in case of spills or dirty hands at the gas station.

I never get the flu shot. I haven't had the flu in about a dozen years and before that I hadn't had it since the 5th grade. The fact that I work from home does tend to limit my exposure to sickies.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

+ Reply to Thread