+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6989Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Eastcoastmom's Avatar

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    My mom always says "'No' is a complete sentence." I think we (and I mean everyone, although I think it's more applicable to women than men) feel the need to explain the "no" when it really doesn't require an explanation. It's taken me a while to learn that and it's still a process.

I have also learned that when I'm late or make a mistake that I just need to say I'm sorry and don't need to give a long explanation. "I'm so sorry I was late" is, IMO, much better than the apology followed by a whole narrative about why I was late. People really don't care.
    Yes, yes, yes to this whole post. Your mother is a wise woman. I am guilty on both counts. I don't know why I feel explanations are necessary, but I do tend to babble on. Something to ponder for sure.
    just1paul and Photobabe like this.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

It takes practice, but you can do it!

It will get easier and easier!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

I'm cool with the plain "no" answer but what gets under my skin is when people press you for an explanation and won't accept the reason, especially people who are supposed to be good friends. A few months back I was at a job where I had a regimented 11:30 to 12:30 lunch hour, with a daily 1 p.m. conference call. Friends invited me to lunch for a specific day, at 11:30...then it was 11:45...then it was 12:15. At that point, I said I couldn't go. They knew about my work schedule, then I was practically Gaslighted about not being able to go. Texts, calls, emails, "why are you abandoning us, are you okay, we're really worried about you?" BS. It really irritated me. I'm still in limited contact with them, but the whole "are you okay" harkens back to a psycho friend of mine from HS that I just don't want to go there.
    just1paul likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    My mom always says "'No' is a complete sentence." I think we (and I mean everyone, although I think it's more applicable to women than men) feel the need to explain the "no" when it really doesn't require an explanation. It's taken me a while to learn that and it's still a process.

I have also learned that when I'm late or make a mistake that I just need to say I'm sorry and don't need to give a long explanation. "I'm so sorry I was late" is, IMO, much better than the apology followed by a whole narrative about why I was late. People really don't care.

This makes me think of a quote:

"Never explain. Your friends don't need it and your enemies will never believe you anyway." - Elbert Hubbard

Personally, I'm unsure what it was that caused my perception to change (may have something to do with getting older and no longer feeling the need for validation of worth from others). If someone expects me to explain myself then they really don't know me. I think people like that are simply looking to make the intended "victim" feel uncomfortable.
    prhoshay likes this.
    "What you live, you learn. What you learn, you practice. What you practice, you become. What you become has consequences." -- Unknown

"I'm so sorry I was late" is, IMO, much better than the apology followed by a whole narrative about why I was late. People really don't care.
    My favorite comment is "I'm sorry I am late ... but today I decided that I am worth waiting for."

People laugh and it breaks the tension if any.

Usually you are meeting with people who may be friends or family and probably have better things to talk about than why you are late.

As for the "No" answer, I will usually give some reason because I myself usually like a reason if something is declined or cancelled.
    Moonyean likes this.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by echo226 View Post
    My favorite comment is "I'm sorry I am late ... but today I decided that I am worth waiting for."

People laugh and it breaks the tension if any.

Usually you are meeting with people who may be friends or family and probably have better things to talk about than why you are late.

As for the "No" answer, I will usually give some reason because I myself usually like a reason if something is declined or cancelled.

Excellent and insightful point, echo226! It definitely helps to have a sense of humor to lighten the situation.

I think the exception to giving an explanation is if it's a matter affecting others (ex. others relying on you to get an important project in on time at work). If the matter is trivial, then it's not needed.
    echo226 likes this.
    "What you live, you learn. What you learn, you practice. What you practice, you become. What you become has consequences." -- Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by PhoneGrrrl View Post
    I'm cool with the plain "no" answer but what gets under my skin is when people press you for an explanation and won't accept the reason, especially people who are supposed to be good friends. A few months back I was at a job where I had a regimented 11:30 to 12:30 lunch hour, with a daily 1 p.m. conference call. Friends invited me to lunch for a specific day, at 11:30...then it was 11:45...then it was 12:15. At that point, I said I couldn't go. They knew about my work schedule, then I was practically Gaslighted about not being able to go. Texts, calls, emails, "why are you abandoning us, are you okay, we're really worried about you?" BS. It really irritated me. I'm still in limited contact with them, but the whole "are you okay" harkens back to a psycho friend of mine from HS that I just don't want to go there.
    I had something very similar happen to me some time ago. It wasn't about being late though. I was friends with a little cliche of ladies that I sort of fell into through another person. Eventually, I discovered I had little in common with them, plus they were people who refused to take no as an answer. If I declined an invitiation, they would verbally wrestle with me about it. They would go to great lengths to convince me to change my mind. They would challenge my explanation and come up with alternatives. For example, if I was going out of town to visit a friend at the beach, they would say, you can go see them another time. Our dinner party is going to be better and you'll have a better time here. Then they would call or email me every day to convince me. Just crazy stuff. They would not accept my decisions. They would send me emails saying they were worried about me and what was wrong with me. lol Thank goodness I am away from that now.

I discovered that controlling people often use the excuse that they are worried about you to get you to get in their control.

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

A few years ago, I started using "no" in a way that works well for me. I add, " . . . but thanks for asking!" with a big obviously fake smile that indicates it would be really stupid to continue pushing on the request.

Example: When asked to spend several hours a week volunteering to do something that I really don't want to do, I put a cheesy grin on my face and respond, "No . . . (pause) . . . but thanks for asking." And then I immediately change the subject.

So far, it's worked every time. Even when I was working. Asked if a certain task could be completed in an undoable time frame, "No . . . (smile / pause) . . . but thanks for asking."

Who can be mad at you when you have a big smile on your face? It apparently totally disarms and surprises people, and they don't push further.
    Moonyean and Cornholio like this.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PhoneGrrrl View Post
    then I was practically Gaslighted about not being able to go.
    I do not understand what you mean when you use this phrase. Please help!

I've told this before...it was an attorney, an elderly gentleman, who taught me to never apologize, so I quit doing that. It gave me some control that maybe I didn't have before he taught me that. It came in very handy since I worked with a lot of men; I don't think, at first, they quite knew how to take it but it did work!

It also helps that I don't "do" guilt, so I don't have a problem when whomever has a problem with me saying 'no' or not apologizing....or, at least over-apologizing. If it's really necessary (apologizing, and sometimes, it is), I'll say it once and that's the end of it, for me. Anyone with a problem with my apology/no....it's just that.....THEIR PROBLEM. I'm moving on!

People with control problems are one of my pet peeves. My last actual fight was with my sister when I was 13, and I'd had all of her control attempts that I intended to put up with. She lost. We left hair all over my bedroom!! We never had to revisit that issue again.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I think in this age of writing to each other ... which excludes tone of voice and can distort meanings and intent ... an explanation or clarification ... might be in order. The words I'm sorry needn't be used but something akin to an apology might clear the air on both sides..

Haven't we all worked with the woman who started almost every statement with "I'm sorry but" ? It drives me up the wall because that approach makes her an empty suit. There needs to be balance.

Words are so powerful ... and on occasion a little humility helps.

I think it was C.S. Lewis who said: "Humility is not thinking less of yourself, itís thinking of yourself less."
    Last edited by echo226; 09-04-2013 at 12:04 PM.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

+ Reply to Thread