+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6435Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

I didn't cry at all when we dropped of my daughter in her kindergarten classroom today!! I'm really just excited for her to start this new chapter in her life I think. She was excited too. My DH and I were sort of lingering and she sat right down at her table, asked the teacher if she could start coloring and that was it. Like - why are you guys still here already??
    Ellen, Lizard, KatesMom and 2 others like this.
    Women are Angels.
    And when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly...usually on a broomstick.
    We are flexible like that.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I am convinced that kids take their cues from US! I never thought it was a good idea to raise kids to be scared.
    Ellen, Hyper and Cootie like this.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    I am amazed at how many people....women, in particular....have an inability to say "No. "
    I have my TV on all day when I'm home, and I watch a lot of court shows (Judge Judy, People's Court, etc.). If women (in particular) learn to say NO, most of those shows could be cancelled.

I agree. I think that must come from women being raised to be "nice", submissive, and subservient.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by MiaT2 View Post
    I didn't cry at all when we dropped of my daughter in her kindergarten classroom today!! I'm really just excited for her to start this new chapter in her life I think. She was excited too. My DH and I were sort of lingering and she sat right down at her table, asked the teacher if she could start coloring and that was it. Like - why are you guys still here already??
    I teared up a little bit while I was driving in - but nothing while I was there with her. She was nervous. Because of trying to maintain extra safety, they didn't want any adults in the school this morning - so all the teachers met their classes outside and we said good-bye to her before she went in. She only had a half day today, so I have already talked to her and she had a good time. One day down . . . . 13 more years to go!!
    inthegarden and Eastcoastmom like this.

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    I am amazed at how many people....women, in particular....have an inability to say "No. "
    It's funny because I tell people that all the time - "No is a perfectly acceptable answer". The other one that drives me nuts is the passive aggressive guilt crap (usually from my parents). My mom is the queen of "oh, I didn't want to call you and intrude . . . but I haven't seen the kids in two weeks and I just wanted to make sure everyone was alive". I have told her that is completely on her - that if she wants to call me, she should feel free and if I can't talk, I have the right to say "No, not right now". Maybe it is everything I have been through in the last 10 years, but I just feel like the game-playing is ridiculous. If I want something, I will ask for it. If the other person says no, that is their right. Same goes in reverse. But the game playing and passive aggressive stuff drives me nuts!!
    Ellen and AZChristian like this.

I don't think we have to be weeping and wailing for them to pick up on signals, even though we don't intend for them to see anything. I think we can transmit our nervousness and edginess. They also can overhear our conversations with others when we think they are not listening. Those little people have ways of not missing much.

I remember asking my son's teacher for a complete list of what he was doing at what hour; she told/I wrote. That helped relax me. For the first week, or so, I remember checking that list throughout the day, and I felt so much better! I'd go walk 4 miles after I dropped him off at school, every morning, and that really helped. I made new friends, my body got great, and my nerves chilled out!

I also learned to never be late or even slightly delayed picking him up after school. They LOVE for their classmates to see them LEAVING!

Yeah, funny story about picking her up! The school sent a note home telling all the parents where the kids would be released - different than the main door. So I pointed it out to my husband and told where he needed to be and when (and that he wasn't allowed to be late). He said he got there 5 minutes early and stood right outside the door so she would see him right away. After 10 minutes, he feels a tap on his back followed by "Hi Daddy"! They let them out a completely different door!! I guess good thing that she knew to look for him and not head home, but man, a little communication would have been great (or at least follow their own guidelines)!!

Quote Originally Posted by KatesMom View Post
    It's funny because I tell people that all the time - "No is a perfectly acceptable answer". The other one that drives me nuts is the passive aggressive guilt crap (usually from my parents). My mom is the queen of "oh, I didn't want to call you and intrude . . . but I haven't seen the kids in two weeks and I just wanted to make sure everyone was alive". I have told her that is completely on her - that if she wants to call me, she should feel free and if I can't talk, I have the right to say "No, not right now". Maybe it is everything I have been through in the last 10 years, but I just feel like the game-playing is ridiculous. If I want something, I will ask for it. If the other person says no, that is their right. Same goes in reverse. But the game playing and passive aggressive stuff drives me nuts!!
    My mom does the same thing to me. At one time, it drove me crazy. Now, I think of her age and since I don't know how many more years I have left to receive her phone calls, it doesn't bother me...as much.
    I call her on a regular basis and that seems to ease her worry...that I'm still alive, not mad at her, or forgotten I have a mother....
    KatesMom likes this.

My mom always says "'No' is a complete sentence." I think we (and I mean everyone, although I think it's more applicable to women than men) feel the need to explain the "no" when it really doesn't require an explanation. It's taken me a while to learn that and it's still a process.

I have also learned that when I'm late or make a mistake that I just need to say I'm sorry and don't need to give a long explanation. "I'm so sorry I was late" is, IMO, much better than the apology followed by a whole narrative about why I was late. People really don't care.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

+ Reply to Thread