+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree7212Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Such a sweet post about the love you have for your granddaughter, NorwIndian. I work at an elementary school and we start classes next Tuesday. I got my first peek at the class lists with their pictures today. I run the library and I was asked to check some data transfers to make sure it worked correctly. I loved seeing the faces of my former kindergartners who are now going into FIRST GRADE! I will be getting ready for my new kindergarten kids with great anticipation! Be assured that not only will your gd meet new friends, she will have new adults in her life that will appreciate all the work you have done with her to prepare her for school! Thanks for working with her so much! Now if we could get more family members to take early childhood so seriously we would have an optimal situation at school.

Mr. (Not so) Perfect Bouncing Balls Champion

Somebody suggested that I fill more of the rooms up with plants and decoration and stuff since they all seem so empty. I guess I'll do that then.

Thank you for the reassurance Cootie.
    I loved teaching her. One of the things I did, was every time we would go up my stairs we would count the steps in English and as we came down we would do it in Spanish.
    She does that now with her baby brother.

I'll be holding my breath until I hear how it went in the morning. I wish I could be there.
    PGM35 likes this.
    ~You can't buy love. But you can rescue it~

Quote Originally Posted by NorwIndian View Post
    I hope everybody is well. I apologize for busting in and whining. Again.
    I guess it's not really whining really. I'm just feeling really, I guess melancholy is the correct word.

My only granddaughter starts kindergarten tomorrow morning and I am surprised at how emotional I am about it. My daughter just texted me a picture of my Lissy sitting next to her school supplies putting her little back pack together and I've been sobbing ever since.
    Lissy has a very strong grip on my heart and she has from the minute I saw her little face in the delivery room. My son in law was at my daughter's head and I was holding her foot so I was the first one in the family to see her face.

And she loves her grandma. We,have a special bond. She only wants clothes that are purple or has butterflies because "it's my grandmas favorite" it's never just grandma, it's always MY grandma.

My daughter worked part time for the first 3 years of Lissy's life and my work schedule was flexible so I baby sat her. I taught her her colors, counting, alphabet etc. She's never set foot in any pre school but she passed the kindergarten testing and then some.

I don't know why I'm so emotional. I'm nervous for her because she's never been in a school setting before but she has a lot of friends and is very sweet so I know she'll make a lot of new friends.
    I don't know exactly what it is. I just think kids start losing their sweet innocence once they start school and I'm sooooo not ready for that to happen.

Where does the time go? It seems like yesterday that I was taking her mommy to kindergarten. I've also promised her for a year that I would go with her and my daughter on her first day and now I can't. I talked to her on the phone earlier and they are coming over straight from school tomorrow but it's not the same as being there.

Sorry to just barge in and start whining. I guess I just needed to release that. At least I'm not sobbing anymore.

I hope everybody is doing great! I haven't been here much but I'll be back! I pop in and check the live feeds sometimes but life has been mainly therapy, therapy, yelling at the therapist for killing me and more therapy.
    Making progress every day so the torture is worth it! Lol.
    I found out a few days ago that this ******* body cast comes off for good next Monday! Best news I've had in weeks.
    More good news is that my husband will be driving locally until January and that's what I've been hoping for. He'll be home every night for the first time in years. I don't have to do this alone anymore!
    NorwIndian, I feel for you so much here. My daughter starts kindergarten next Tuesday (my first born) and I have been a mess too! It's not quite the same situation - in addition to the mommy/grandma differences, my daughter has been in daycare or preschool since she was 3 months old, so mine is fully aware of how that works. But the feelings are the same. I remember the day she was born and it seems like the last 5.5 years have just flown by. I also don't want her to lose that innocence and that happiness that the world is just a good place. But I have to try very hard not to show it because she is just so excited to finally be a kindergartner and be going to a real school. We live about a 5 minute walk from the school and she is so bummed that she won't get to ride the bus until middle school (I'm secretly happy, I don't know how I would deal with that too)!! I guess I'm just sending you a big cyberhug and saying, at least to a certain extent, I know how you feel and you aren't alone!
    Eastcoastmom likes this.

My firstborn starts kindergarten next week too! I'm excited and happy for her. But I reserve the right to blubber on the first day. Her school does a "Boo Hoo Breakfast" in the cafeteria for the parents after drop-off.
    KatesMom and 1dog2kids like this.
    Women are Angels.
    And when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly...usually on a broomstick.
    We are flexible like that.

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

NorwIndian - my heart reaches out to touch yours.

My firstborn granddaughter just turned 26 this week, but I remember her at that age, and we had the same type of relationship. Her mom and dad were having marital problems, and she stayed with us a lot. We were so close.

Just want to reassure you. She will be fine, and so will you. Changes are challenging in the best of times, and you're recovering from major surgery, so you don't have the normal physical and emotional resources that would help you deal with us. Can't wait to hear about her coming over after her first day of school to see you!

AZC

Quote Originally Posted by MiaT2 View Post
    My firstborn starts kindergarten next week too! I'm excited and happy for her. But I reserve the right to blubber on the first day. Her school does a "Boo Hoo Breakfast" in the cafeteria for the parents after drop-off.
    A boo hoo breakfast!! I love that. My youngest grandchild started tiny tots kindergarten and she loves it
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I remember taking my son to his first day of Montessori. Totally uneventful! He's always been such a social animal that he just glided right in. Kind of hurt my feelings, but it left my mind at ease!

I used to work with this guy and, when his only child...a daughter who obviously owned his heart....was going for her first day of school, he was trying to play all macho and tough. We were the only 2 people around, and we started talking about what a big day it was. I turned into his surrogate mother and started giving him the "mother-lecture finger" and told him to get his butt home and take that baby to her first day of school, that he would never regret it or forget it! He got quiet, and then he got out of there! He is a sweet and sensitive guy; as he left, I told him not to cry! Ran into him on FB, and he had posted a picture of his daughter who was now 14 and going to her first school dress-up dance!!! We reminisced about me fussing at him taking his daughter to her first school day; neither of us could believe that it had been so long ago! Heck! I thought that kid was about 7 years old....not, then 14!!!! Time really DOES get away from you! She is beautiful!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Hi Norwindian been missing you .. but knew you were consumed with therapy ... and glad to hear about the progress. I never had any doubt. Soon you'll be ready to climb up on roofs again ... what" ... NOT!

Your Granny story was so touching. I have no grandkids, but one of my BF's has been hanging out and hauling her GrandSon around for years because both parents work. She also did a lot of the teaching things with him and he is now a straight A guy. I recall asking her why she spent SO much time with him... Swimming, sledding, library visits, etc. She said this was her time and there would come a time when he didn't want to hang out with Granny so she was taking full advantage. He is now 12 almost 13! He does hang out with Granny some ... but not quite as much! She, my friend, has supplemented by helping take care of his little dog!

I have so enjoyed your post and the others ... and hugs to all the boo-hoo parents and grandparents here!
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Debb, saw this and thought about you and all of our other adventurous sisters!

How to Twerk | Club Dance Moves - YouTube

Try not to end up in traction, people!

AZ, we ALL know you love to dance!!! Break out your sparkly dancing shoes!!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

+ Reply to Thread