+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree7282Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Thank you folks. I knew where there was a will there was a way
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

Mr. (Not so) Perfect Bouncing Balls Champion

I've decided that I want to go to Hawaii. Because it's paradise.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyK View Post
    I've decided that I want to go to Hawaii. Because it's paradise.
    JohnnyK, your post makes me nervous! You'll see paradise, just not in Hawaii, and not for a looooooooooong time!

I think Cootie lived in Hawaii, so I bet she could tell you a lot about it. I'd love to get an opportunity to go someday, too.

Mr. (Not so) Perfect Bouncing Balls Champion

?

That's not what I meant. Not this time.

I don't know. I'm having a bit of a weird night.

It's not every day I decide to listen to relaxing music and act all spiritual with strange aspirations.

Okay, good, just checkin'. You're entitled. We accidentally bumped into the dial on an old radio we have in our barn a short while ago, and it went to a spiritual station. We kept it there for over a week, not even sure why, but it just felt like the right thing to do.

PS But don't say "Not this time." There'll never be a time. That's not an option. We all love you.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Here's a good one! I get a letter, along with a check, from an attorney's office concerning a pension settlement dispute my former husband's union fought and won, and they apparently think I should send them a fee for sending me this money, which was a part of my child support settlement that came out of his paycheck every month. They admit that while they do not represent ME, they do represent HIM, and they say that HE has agreed to a 20% fee (of the gross). They seem to believe that I owe them something, and would be "appreciative" if I'd send them a check for their 20% of the money that they've sent me!!!

Since their agreement is with HIM and not ME, I'd be appreciative if they'd send me some of whatever they have been smoking!!!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

Boy, I'd love to see Judge Judy straighten them out. I can see it now: They are the plaintiffs, suing for the 20%; you are the defendant. Judge Judy says, "Where is your contract with prhoshay? Oh, you don't have one? What are you . . . nuts? Judgment for the defendant."
    Miss Scarlet likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    Here's a good one! I get a letter, along with a check, from an attorney's office concerning a pension settlement dispute my former husband's union fought and won, and they apparently think I should send them a fee for sending me this money, which was a part of my child support settlement that came out of his paycheck every month. They admit that while they do not represent ME, they do represent HIM, and they say that HE has agreed to a 20% fee (of the gross). They seem to believe that I owe them something, and would be "appreciative" if I'd send them a check for their 20% of the money that they've sent me!!!

Since their agreement is with HIM and not ME, I'd be appreciative if they'd send me some of whatever they have been smoking!!!
    This reminds me of things that have happened to former spouses of various types of deadbeats. The IRS and various debtors have claimed that the former spouse is responsible for debts/money owed because of non-payment by the former spouse. It has held up in court.

I hope that they sent you that letter thinking it was worth a try and they could intimidate you into paying something. If he negotiated that before your marriage was dissolved ... they may think they have a case. I'd be worried about things like liens, account freezes, etc.

I just want to suggest that since that letter is from attorneys ... you contact one of your own just for your own financial safety.

Mohandas Gandhi

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

If he signed an agreement for 20% of the gross, seems logical to me that HE should pay them if they want more. What you got was a portion of the gross - gross being defined as the initial amount before any deductions. You (as a representative of your kids) are a "deduction." I'd either ignore them, or refer them back to the person who signed a contract with them for the gross. Their contract is with him, not you.

(I'm not a lawyer, but I do stay at Holiday Inn Express when I travel.)

Quote Originally Posted by AZChristian View Post
    If he signed an agreement for 20% of the gross, seems logical to me that HE should pay them if they want more. What you got was a portion of the gross - gross being defined as the initial amount before any deductions. You (as a representative of your kids) are a "deduction." I'd either ignore them, or refer them back to the person who signed a contract with them for the gross. Their contract is with him, not you.

(I'm not a lawyer, but I do stay at Holiday Inn Express when I travel.)
    That makes sense too (you always do) BUT ... I am wondering if former hubby only paid 20% of his portion of the gross ... therefore there is still a debt owed.

What I am thinking is this was indeed a contract arrangement during the marriage, the former spouse could be held responsible for any "bad debt".
    Since it is part of a Child Support settlement ... I think your States Attorney's office might give you some pro-bono advice.

I'm not a lawyer either, but I watch them on TV.
    AZChristian likes this.

Mohandas Gandhi

+ Reply to Thread