+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6520Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2181755;
    So, this leads me to ask: what are you guilty pleasures that you eat that others might balk at?
    I love those insanely crappy/cheap pizzas, like Totino's party pizza. The kind that only take 7-9 minutes in an oven to cook. I love those, but HATE the full sized frozen pizzas. Also, cup o'noodles, and spaghetti-o's. I am the only one in my house who eats those but that just means more for me!

Also, a cooked hotdog rolled up into a tortilla with a sliced of processed cheese and warmed up in the microwave untill the cheese melts. Yum!
    Pink Elephants on Parade!

Quote Originally Posted by Amanda;2181925;
    I have an Entenmann's bakery outlet half a block from my house. I have to be very very disciplined not to go there too often. I'd eat their coffee cakes morning noon and night if there were no consequences.
    I grew up on Entenmann's. I haven't seen any bakery stuff since I moved down here. I could shovel those donuts with the crumbly thing-ys on top with blistering speed.

In regards to frozen dinners for guests, I do it and even let them know ahead of time. "I'm making this, this and this and it's either frozen or from a bag. By the way, I don't own a dinner table so we'll be eating on the couch and don't mind the cats walking along the top." I've never been turned down.
    You got to cry without weeping. Talk without speaking. Scream without raising your voice.- U2

From the corner of my eye Jewelsy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2181755;
    So, this leads me to ask: what are you guilty pleasures that you eat that others might balk at? I do admit that while I LOVE a good, expensive cheese like Brie. I also like canned cheese whiz and I don't even need crackers!
    Mashed potatoes and gravy.

And if I'm really needing a guilty pleasure fix, I'll break out the tequila and chocolate. The combination is to die for. A good tequila (I prefer Patron) with chocolate truffles, chocolate sandwiches, chocolate fondue - anything chocolate - is something worth experiencing at least once in life.

Back in the "old days" when I was a kid -- I think it was Chef Boyardee had a pizza kit in a box--yes in a box. You added water to the powder and rolled out the dough and there was a can of sauce and we'd sprinkle the cheese on--mmm Now it didn't taste anything like real pizza, but I loved it ????? By the way, my mom was lacking in culinary skills...

I also love avacados---if they're cheap, I will eat two at a time
    I've learned that you shouldn't go through life with a catcher's mitt on both hands; you need to be able to throw something back.
    Maya Angelou

Quote Originally Posted by Vonna;2182043;
    Back in the "old days" when I was a kid -- I think it was Chef Boyardee had a pizza kit in a box--yes in a box. You added water to the powder and rolled out the dough and there was a can of sauce and we'd sprinkle the cheese on--mmm Now it didn't taste anything like real pizza, but I loved it ?
    I remember that pizza in a box too. It never seemed to have enough sauce or cheese. Remember the commercials for Chef Boyardee ravioli? They'd have a large family-sized can and say how you can feed your whole family for less than getting take-out chicken

I love chips and cheese dip. I keep bags of mini Tostitos and white mexican cheese dip on hand at all times. You heat up the cheese dip and you're ready to go!

I'm stepping gently into the lasagna fray. I just spent hours and a lot of $$ making the Slowcooker Lasagna I posed in recipes. It tastes great! I added extra lean ground beef to the Italian sausages, a few cups of mushrooms, Italian seasoning and garlic. But for the money, and energy, I won't be doing it often unless I do have company over for something special. I ended up in bed for the rest of the day and most of today and figured I can buy a large frozen lasagna for 1/4 of the cost. Fresh ingredients add up quickly.

I do relate to the surprise of myrosiedog at her dinner party. My cousin invited me over to their house-warming party (long time ago) and his new wife was cooking Italian! After arriving, discover that the lasagna, caesar salad, buns, everything, were all bought and premade. She can't cook apparently, but definitely took time to make it sound like she did all the work herself. (I found out from cousin after a few drinks.) That's just like lying. I honestly don't care if you made it or bought it. And I was glad to be invited. Just don't lie to everyone that you made dinner from scratch when you didn't.

myrosiedog: I also think it was a bit rude to have you over and spend so much time making cookies everywhere. However, I do think the point was to spend time with you enjoy a meal together, particularly because these days have been tough for you and your family. It was sweet of her to have you over.

As for frozen cakes and fresh pastries Love them all. Don't eat them though. They go straight to my hips.

As for strange food, I tend like to sour cream on almost anything.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    mrd, I do have to say that your friend needs to teach her child that animals so not belong at the dinner table whether you have company or not. I can imagine, that on top of everything else upsetting you, that was definitely inappropriate and uncomfortable. My sister seemed to think it was cute for her miniature (?) schnauzer to sit at the table in a chair when a meal was going on. I have 3 kitties, but I would never allow them access to the table during a meal. That is just wrong.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Has anyone made lasagne with the noodles you don't have to pre-cook? I've made it a couple of times and I won't go back to boiling them again. The only cooking I had to do was the hamburger meat (and onions, I love onions and will add them to just about anything). Then you do the layering like it says on the box. I made a 9x13 pan with just 1 lb. of ground beef, generic mozzarella from a bag, Parmesan in the can but from the refrigerated section, generic ricotta, couple of eggs, and a couple of good jars of marinara sauce. It wasn't really expensive because we ate it for two days, which turns out to be a good bargain.

But if someone makes the frozen (which I've done lots of times but only for my family, not for guests) I don't have a problem with that. Anytime someone else is willing to cook a meal is fine with me!

Speaking of frozen desserts, I bought a Mrs. Smith Dutch Apple Pie and Pumpkin custard pie for Christmas day. Usually I buy them from the bakery section but I didn't want to buy them this early as they tend to go bad even with all the preservatives in them. This way they're in the freezer ready to go. And I got a big tub of Cool Whip. I've tried generic cool whip (I'm big on generic when possible) but there is a difference in taste so I opted for the name brand. I've also learned when making greenbean casserole that generic cream of mushroom soup and generic french fried onions are not good. I stick to name brands for those too.

Quote Originally Posted by ArchieComic Fan;2182064;
    Has anyone made lasagne with the noodles you don't have to pre-cook? I've made it a couple of times and I won't go back to boiling them again.
    Yes, the recipe I just made used regular cook noodles, but I used the no-cook and added a bit extra sauce! It works great! I also try to do generic wherever possible or store brand because it is cheaper. But, you are right, some things just have to be name brand or they taste terrible!
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;2182059;
    mrd, I do have to say that your friend needs to teach her child that animals so not belong at the dinner table whether you have company or not. I can imagine, that on top of everything else upsetting you, that was definitely inappropriate and uncomfortable. My sister seemed to think it was cute for her miniature (?) schnauzer to sit at the table in a chair when a meal was going on. I have 3 kitties, but I would never allow them access to the table during a meal. That is just wrong.
    My husband just reminded me about the guinea pig that sat on the table while we ate dessert. I forgot about him.

I have dogs. My dogs sleep with me which a lot of people find gross. However my dogs are not allowed at the table. On the chairs or on the table. If I had other animals, they would not be allowed on the table.

I don't know, all in all it was a strange evening, not upsetting, but just weird. Takes a lot more than lizards, guinea pigs, a cookie factory and frozen lasagna to upset me. I'm just scratching my head and going "what???"

They were nice to have us over. We did enjoy ourselves. We were VERY appreciative to be invited and I sent her a nice note this morning thanking her.
    But it was just a bit strange as far as some of the things that happened.

I have never entertained this way nor have I (apparantly) been to anyone's house for an evening quite like this. Live and learn. I will be ready for anything from now on.

Back to guilty pleasures. Right now those chocolate oranges are calling my name. Oh my, I love those things.
    And I would give my right arm for more of that Whole Foods 7 layer dip. I swear the stuff is crack!
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

+ Reply to Thread