+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6975Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Debb70 - you asked about the hostels. In Ghent, we stayed in a room in a private woman's apartment. We had an upstairs room and private bathroom, and shared the kitchen and backyard with them. She was very nice and helpful with questions. Her boyfriend (while HOT!!!) didn't speak much English. In Amsterdam, our hostel was on a boat. We had bunks, a tiny WC with hilariously small shower and not much else, but there was an outdoor deck and an indoor social room upstairs. Both were in fairly central areas so that was nice. We were able to walk everywhere.
    Count your blessings!

That sounds great. I was surprised how nice they seemed on the website I saw about them. They sure did seem like a great option for travel.

OK. So the Powerball prize is a whopping $425 million, right? I'm sure this has been discussed before...but isn't that enough to give EVERY PERSON in the US $1 million each (with enough leftover for everyone in Canada to boot). I know that a large chunk goes to taxes or if you take the lump sum, it's cut in half...but still. I know everyone dreams of winning the lottery, but there are many stories of jackpot winners wishing they had never won because it changes their lives (not for the better). And your chances of winning are so low. So here's my question: if your chances are one in a hundred million of winning $425 million, do you buy a ticket? What if your chances are 100% of winning a million, do you buy a ticket? I don't know about you, but I'd like the guaranteed "million". And I'd like to think that if everyone won a million dollars, it would improve their lives, help improve the economy, etc., etc. Just imagine if EVERYONE won a million, you wouldn't have to feel guilty or "share" it with friends/family.

I just don't understand these large jackpots. Why make one person stinking rich when that amount can make EVERYONE more comfortable?
    Don't let the small things sweat

I don't know how many people are in the US, but I'm pretty sure it's a lot more than 425 people, which is how many million there were.
    Lotteries aren't about making someone rich. Lotteries are big business. Many, many, many people are employed by the lottery division in each state, & many, many more make a profit from them in sales. Plus loads of money goes to the State in taxes & fees. The taxes from them funds a lot of stuff.
    If there wasn't loads of money in any form of gambling, Las Vegas wouldn't look the way it does.

As for me, I didn't buy a ticket. I was going to, but I just didn't get around to it. I ocassionally buy 1 or 2, but that's it, & not all that often. What the heck. It's only $1.00 & there's always that one in a hundred million chance.
    If by some crazy chance I ever did win, I wouldn't just give it away to anyone. I'd call my immediate family: My children & my siblings. I'd ask "How much debt do you have? Send me the paperwork & you're debt free! You've got a fresh start!" (within reason) Then I'd book a luxury vacation to Hawaii. I'd take a friend or two.
    After that I'd get completely practical with it. Set up investment accounts that would take care of myself & my children for life. Set up investment accounts for my grandchildren that would pay for their college & more that they couldn't access untill age intervals were met: 30-35-40-45. If they haven't got any sense by 45, then they're lost causes anyhow.
    I wouldn't give a huge lump to charity, but rather large yearly gifts to 1 or 2 of my favorites. The rest: LEAVE ME ALONE!

Yes, I've thought about this. I must have a lot of free time on my hands. More than I do money.
    inthegarden likes this.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I've spent a lot of time thinking about how I'd avoid the vultures, in order to keep my sanity. I'd worry about taking care of the people I like after I've won, and from an undisclosed location.
    just1paul likes this.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

It would be enough to give us all $1.00 not a million... Got my hopes up there for a minute. US population 2012 was 312.8 million
    inthegarden likes this.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

I'd rather spend my $1.00 out of pocket on my one in 100 million chance for 435 Million than get my $1.00 portion.

Kind of depressing that that's all we'd get out of so much money.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I never buy lottery tickets, but didn't they recently go to $2? I need to be ready, just in case I change my mind!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I got two for the lotto draw tonight .I did win $4000.00 about 10 years ago, my heart was racing so badly, I don't know what I would do if it were 4 million
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Scarlet View Post
    I don't know how many people are in the US, but I'm pretty sure it's a lot more than 425 people, which is how many million there were.
    Lotteries aren't about making someone rich.
    Pfffft. This is why I am NOT an accountant and why I shouldn't post at the end of a bad day. Carry on. (And good luck to all Powerball players!)
    Don't let the small things sweat

+ Reply to Thread