+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6993Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

About "motivation" ... I find that if I have a commitment outside the home or with some body coming here to do something ... I'll get off my butt more readily.

When I knew the home therapist was coming or had to get up and go to outpatient therapy ... I did it ... and was anxious to do it.

Also, once I am out and doing something such as grocery shopping or to the bank ... I will maximize my time and do more errands I have put off.

I do use up a lot of time on the computer because I am not a good typer/keyer. I am very slow, and hunt and peck with two fingers ... and end up making mistakes. I shoukd try to take one of those free on line typing courses ... but I am not motivated to do that!

Anyway, Gut ... please make one of your missions to tell us all here more about your overseas adventure. I am also enjoying the changes of your avatar. Thanks!
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

Well thanks to suggestions here, I got myself to turn off the laptop and got 2 loads of laundry done, a sink full of dishes washed, and a yeast batter for authentic Belgian waffles made. It's rising now while I watch General Hospital. Since I'll have to get off my butt to finish the batter and make the waffles, I'm hoping I'll continue to get a few other things done while I'm bopping around.
    Our trip was amazing. We flew into Paris and took a train to Ghent. It is the least touristy of the big cities in Belgium and it is absolutely lovely. Canals, cobbled streets, incredible architecture, cathedrals, outdoor cafes. Loved it! We took a day trip to Bruges. It was a little more touristy, but there was a gorgeous castle, more canals, lots of swans, cathedral, etc. We had planned to stop in Antwerp on our way to Amsterdam, but we were running late and carrying full packs, so we just watched it go by from the train window. Amsterdam is a trip, but I don't ever feel the need to go back. Blatant sex and drugs on sale. Lots more canals - wider with houseboats - and a greater variety of people, but I liked the quaint Belgium towns more. Belgium isn't a place I ever thought of as a destination, but I'd recommend it to anyone.
    Count your blessings!

How did the hostels work out?

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

When I was working, I'd accumulate paperwork on my desk....let it stack up, catch up on what I needed to know for the day from my coworkers (which meant socializing in different parts of the building!). Before I'd start any paperwork processing, I'd greet people coming to work/going home and deal with their various issues....and THEN I had to do my daily crossword puzzles! After all of that, the place had usually finally settled down and I'd start working through the pile of papers on my desk; I'd measure my progress by how much of my desk became visible. Some days, it was hell; some days it was not so bad....but NOTHING really began before my puzzles! They settled my nerves. I loved my job, for the most part. Of course, I was there by 6 a.m., too. I've never been able to tolerate a job where somebody is looking over my shoulder on a regular basis; as the song says, "I gotta be me!" I will NOT be micromanaged. I guess I'm at my best in a loosely structured-structured environment; basically, I prefer to roll with the punches.

I am like that at home, too. I will usually do my errands in groups, if at all possible. I do everything in certain parts of town and, if it's not in that part of town, I'll try to delay it until I have several things to do in that area. If that means putting it off until tomorrow, so be it. I conserve energy, fuel usage, and mileage on my car! I will not bounce all over town. But ALL of any of that comes AFTER I do my crossword puzzles!!!

My lists are all in my phone so as not to clutter my mind. I update them when it occurs to me throughout the day.
    Last edited by prhoshay; 08-08-2013 at 04:16 PM.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    When I was working, I'd accumulate paperwork on my desk....let it stack up, catch up on what I needed to know for the day from my coworkers (which meant socializing in different parts of the building!). Before I'd start any paperwork processing, I'd greet people coming to work/going home and deal with their various issues....and THEN I had to do my daily crossword puzzles! After all of that, the place had usually finally settled down and I'd start working through the pile of papers on my desk; I'd measure my progress by how much of my desk became visible. Some days, it was hell; some days it was not so bad....but NOTHING really began before my puzzles! They settled my nerves. I loved my job, for the most part. Of course, I was there by 6 a.m., too. I've never been able to tolerate a job where somebody is looking over my shoulder on a regular basis; as the song says, "I gotta be me!" I will NOT be micromanaged. I guess I'm at my best in a loosely structured-structured environment; basically, I prefer to roll with the punches.

I am like that at home, too. I will usually do my errands in groups, if at all possible. I do everything in certain parts of town and, if it's not in that part of town, I'll try to delay it until I have several things to do in that area. If that means putting it off until tomorrow, so be it. I conserve energy, fuel usage, and mileage on my car! I will not bounce all over town. But ALL of any of that comes AFTER I do my crossword puzzles!!!

My lists are all in my phone so as not to clutter my mind. I update them when it occurs to me throughout the day.
    You sound like me. I also will not be micro-managed (loved working at the same company as my husband for 4 months until our mutual manager got on my last nerve with that). And I fully agree that working puzzles at the start of the day centers and focuses one. I still do a jigsaw, a crossword, and a sudoku online before doing whatever else I have to do. And I'm retired!!! And I maintain lists on my phone, too. I type them into Outlook on notepads, and then sync them with my Blackberry. At my age, I forget more than what I remember . . . can't get anything done without a list!

I can't function without a list. A early morning walk helps to motivate me. I try to accomplish a little every day and the reward myself with me time. I do have worthless days but I don't beat myself up too bad. I figure my system is telling me I need a break.

For me, it's about keeping stress down to a minimum, and I don't 'do' guilt. I believe in making my life as easy as possible. I used to share an office with this type-A guy; he'd be in there early, just grinding it out. I used to do anything to keep me from having to be in the office with him; he'd do these long, deep exasperated exhalations that would drive me crazy. And he'd slurp his coffee.... Once I'd see him out of the office, I'd go in and start my day. And he'd always use the word "seen"; I don't think he even knew the word "saw" existed!!! I'd try to talk to him, but it wasn't easy. Mr. Neurotic. I'd work with him because nobody else wanted to. I'd known him for over 20 years. He was kind of Barney Fife-ish.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I worked with a guy who sucked his teeth when he was concentrating. If he was stressed out about a job he whistled. Drove me crazy!

I feel your pain!!

OMG! Don't get me started on the use of the word SEEN. WHY, oh WHY, do people not understand the proper use of that word. So many people NEVER say I have seen or I saw. They say, "I seen." It's my number one pet peeve. Have you noticed that people say it on tv all the time. It's said frequently in interviews with news shows, reality shows, documentaries, everywhere people use the word incorrectly in daily life too. I know in the scheme of life it's no big deal, but it really gets to me. lol And I feel kind of crazy correcting people's grammar, so I just keep it to myself.
    AZChristian likes this.

+ Reply to Thread