+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5768Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Quote Originally Posted by NorwIndian View Post
    I invented "birthday Hanukkah" when my kids were little. It's only for moms. For the 7 days leading up to the birthday and,the actual birthday, we had what I wanted for dinner, even if nobody else wanted it (I still had to cook it though), my "husband" and kids had to be extra nice to me and my kids couldn't fight for that week.
    No presents or anything big, just a nice, quiet peaceful week with my favorite foods.

Now that my daughter is a mom, she's carrying that tradition with her family.
    My husband and I are childfree, but I love the idea of "Birthday Hanukkah"!
    prhoshay likes this.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Love this thread!

I love my birthday - I like celebrating...me! For my 40th (I keep saying it because I can't believe I am turning 40!) I am taking my mom and my Aunt to a destination spa for 4 days. I am so excited. Kayaking, yoga, gardening etc. Something very different from what I usually do (go out to a bar/dinner with friends).
    prhoshay, Ellen, Kip and 1 others like this.
    For most of history, Anonymous was a woman.
    - Virginia Woolf

How fun beerbelly! Sounds like great bonding time.
    When is your birthday?
    You do yoga? I've done it for years. I love it, I get into a "zone"and everything gets tuned out. It's so peaceful.
    I think I miss that the most. It will be a really long time, if ever before I can do it again.

Have a great time on your birthday trip.

Edited to add: I am getting out of the house tomorrow!! I'm so darn excited to be getting out and it not being to the Dr's! My friend is coming to get me and we're going out for lunch and if I'm able, we're going to the craft store to get me some stuff that I can do in bed.
    I don't like having to go in the wheelchair, but at this point I have no choice so oh well! I hate the looks I get when I'm n it. People give me a sad "oh you poor thing" smile. I want to say "don't feel bad for me, I'm alive and I'll walk again soon". I appreciate the compassion but I'm fine, I'm a positive person, nothing much can get me down.
    My Nickname is even Beamer because people say that I smile a lot and my face beams. Lol.

I am beyond happy to be going out. This friend jokes around that aside from my "husband" she's the only one who can lift me into the car because she's a "Biggin", her words not mine!

YAY!!!!! CAN'T WAIT!!!
    Last edited by NorwIndian; 08-06-2013 at 07:57 PM.
    The more I know people, the more I love my dog. ~ Mark Twain

I got a foster child and a tattoo for my 40th birthday!
    beerbelly and NorwIndian like this.
    Count your blessings!

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Ten Pin Bowling Champion, Bookworm Champion Eastcoastmom's Avatar

That sounds like a blast, beerbelly!

NorwIndian
    , I love your birthday Hanukkah tradition!

Hubby's family, and hubby himself do not like a fuss made over their birthdays at all! So, I've only thrown big parties for hubby's 40th, 50th, and 60th. We gave my m.i.l. a surprise 75th party and even though my f.i.l. did not think it was necessary, I went ahead with it anyway b/c my mother-in-law, had never, ever had a birthday party. She was born during the Depression, was the eldest of 6 and was more of a mom to her siblings than her sickly mom was. She never had much while growing up, so we wanted to do something nice for her.

I have a cool birthday as I was born on New Year's Eve. Seems like everybody is on my birthday. When I was a kid we would spend the entire New Year's Eve and New Year's Day holidays sleeping over our cousins. Each year we would rotate to another house. My mom always went to the bakery and got a sheet cake that said "Happy New Year" and "Happy Birthday _____" I used to resent that I had to share the day but as an adult I realize how much fun it is. We usually spend my birthday going to dinner and then my sister, b.i.l. and one or two couples get together for the evening.

That sounds like a great 40th Gutmutter! You're a special person. The world needs more good people like you. We'd be a better world.
    I took my good friend to get her first tattoo on her 50th.

Quote Originally Posted by NorwIndian View Post
    How fun beerbelly! Sounds like great bonding time.
    When is your birthday?
    You do yoga? I've done it for years. I love it, I get into a "zone"and everything gets tuned out. It's so peaceful.
    I think I miss that the most. It will be a really long time, if ever before I can do it again.

Have a great time on your birthday trip.
    Thank you! My birthday is 8/27. I don't exercise that regularly this season as they changed the yoga class at my gym. But it is my favorite exercise besides walking.

Thank you!
    - Virginia Woolf

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    I got a foster child and a tattoo for my 40th birthday!
    Wow! What was the tattoo of?
    - Virginia Woolf

I took some classes but preferred to do it at home by myself. I've got some DVDs but mostly just did it on my own. I converted a part of my bedroom into my yoga area. I miss it!

50 years and counting! AZChristian's Avatar

My birthday is 9 days before Christmas. When I was a kid, that was the pits. On the night before, my mother (whom I usually refer to as the "birth vessel" because of her lack of maternal abilities) would look at me in a very annoyed fashion and say, "Oh great. Tomorrow is your birthday." Then she would go upstairs to the closet where our wrapped Christmas gifts were "hidden"; you could hear her rustling around after the "Oh great" discussion. Then, the next morning she would hand me a gift wrapped in Christmas paper. This meant two things to me: (1) she had spent NO effort on getting me a "real" birthday gift, and (2) I was getting one less Christmas gift than I would have been getting the day before. Sweet, huh?

After we were married and I told my husband about this, he said, "That's not happening any more. From now on, your birthday will be celebrated however you'd like." So when our kids were little, we'd go out shopping for the Christmas tree on my birthday, then go home to decorate the tree while eating birthday cake and drinking hot chocolate. Now that the kids are gone, we celebrate the whole day together. If it's a weekday, we both take a day off work and we go out to breakfast, do all of our Christmas shopping, and go out to dinner. Sometimes, I'll get a pedi or a foot massage . . . whatever I want! Last year, we went to Vegas and had dinner at Gordon Ramsay's at the Paris hotel. The year before (when I turned 65), we went to Long Beach and stayed in a suite on the Queen Mary. Many of my birthday celebrations involve amusement parks. I always insist they've decorated the park for my birthday in December!

So I'm a believer that everyone should celebrate as much or as little as they wish. At 66, I have less birthdays to look forward to than I've already had. So I plan for every one of them to be a blast!!!! It's usually just hubby and me, though. He's my BFF and is the most stress-free person I know to do things with.
    Ellen, Kip, PGM35 and 1 others like this.

+ Reply to Thread