+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6454Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

I'm back! Over a week of backpacking with my daughter through Belgium and Amsterdam. It was great, except for the traveling stand-by during high tourist season part. On the bright side, though... we were able to by-pass the problem by rerouting through Paris. Other people with paid-for tickets were stuck for days beyond their plans in Amsterdam. If you ever go to that area, we liked Ghent the best. We loved all the architecture and canals, outdoor cafes, waffles, chocolates, etc. I didn't gain a pound, though, because we walked everywhere and carried backpacks on trains and in airports. You would have laughed to see this 56-yr.-old booking it from gate to gate with a full pack trying to make a connection. On the very last leg of the journey, from my daughter's house to mine, I started getting a sore throat and now have a whopper of a cold. Ugh. Oh well, better at home where I can rest and make my cure-anything, crockpot veggie soup. Glad to be back!
    Count your blessings!

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Eastcoastmom's Avatar

Welcome back, Gutmutter. I was wondering how you were doing. Sorry about your cold but it sounds like such a fabulous price to pay for a wonderful trip.

Welcome home ! Hope you'll tell us more when your throat's not sore any more.

Sounds like a great trip ... and the swan is beautiful.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Eastcoastmom's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Eastcoastmom View Post
    Welcome back, Gutmutter. I was wondering how you were doing. Sorry about your cold but it sounds like such a fabulous price to pay for a wonderful trip.

Quoting my own post b/c it's too late to edit. Re the bolded word...what the heck? I meant to say it is a SMALL price to pay, not fabulous. Geesh.

Welcome back, Gutmutter!
    It sounds like you & your daughter had a wonderful time. Isn't it great how when our daughters are all grown up we can have such a good time hanging out with them? They make great vacation partners. (So much like their moms).
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

That's one of my dreams! Sounds like you had a great time.
    My son got me into backpacking last year. We went out a lot together last summer. I loved it. I had plans to try some rock climbing this summer.
    We wanted to do Norway as that's where some of our people are from.
    I won't get to do it now, but I hope my son will one day.

Sounds like a great trip and great bonding time too.
    ~You can't buy love. But you can rescue it~

I'm really grateful we had that time together. She wasn't at her best when the travel plans were unraveling, but I guess that's to be expected. When we were sight seeing and searching for the best Belgian waffle (which we found on the first try) or just wandering canals, she was a delight.
    Count your blessings!

Having some trouble with a friend - not sure if it should be in the relationship challenged thread or the Having Troubles thread or just here for random venting/advice if you want to give it or not. My so called best friend and I have been on the "outs" lately. Just not really getting along. She's been doing a lot of couple things with another trio of husbands and wives due to the husbands training for a cycling event so the wives (cycling widows) have been getting together while the husband's are riding. They are riding for 60-70-80 miles at times so it's a while. But I am good friends with all the wives so getting together with them would be fun for me as well and just b/c my husband/SO is not cycling with them doesn't mean I wouldn't want to be included. She/they know how I feel about going along or getting invited...they know I'd love to and if I am available I will and if not I won't. Well I haven't been getting asked and I usually see or hear about fun stuff they are doing later via Facebook or Instagram pictures. Most of the time I let it go but it does upset me. I've mentioned 1 event to her that I wish I'd known about and she made a comment like, oh I thought you were busy with nails and there were 4 of us cuz we were meeting so-and-so who goes every year and blah, blah, blah, some reason or other I wasn't thought to be invited.

Well skip to July - my birthday and she set up a Happy Hour for me. Invited all "our" friends, mostly hers - but I threw some names in there. She made a comment that the number was getting too large for the place I chose (I was using a gift certificate I had been given for $100 and bought her and her husband's food and drinks along with my and my SO's) so I had to keep it in check. Ugh. Sounds like I'm complaining but she really is a nice person just some things seem to get on my nerves but they are things I've let go or "accepted" in the relationship so that is what it is. I guess I shouldn't complain and accept her if I'm going to accept her - this was advice I was once given.

Now her bday is coming up so I ask her if she has decided where she wants to have it. She says yes, and that they have a room that holds up to 22 people. So ask if she is only inviting 22 and if she wants to do the write up for the invite (she's in Marketing and likes to do that sort of thing) or have me do it.

I get this "No I'm not just inviting 22 people that's just the number that the room can seat. It can actually hold up to 40 people in a cocktail reception seating set up. I just called them. They won't do reservations and the vista room is already booked. I need to find another place. I'll just take care of it myself. I was under the impression that you were going to do this part (reservation/write up/invite) when you were asking me last week. I'll just do it and send it out to the people i would want to be invited when I find a place. Just keep 8.27 open. I understand if you can't make it that day since I know you usually go to the gym with Mike."

I wrote back immediately, No I'm free and I really want to do this for you but I wanted to find out how many to tell the restaurant as well as I wanted to do this the way she would want it done.

Now I want to write, I'm sorry if I gave you the impression that I didn't want to handle this or was not being clear on what I was asking or why but I really did want to make her birthday special for her and certainly didn't want to upset her by anything I've done or not done. I just don't know how to do this without making it worse. I've obviously done something to make her think I don't want to do this but by asking those 2 questions, I didn't think was it. But maybe it was. I might be over-analyzing it too.

PGM35. It sounds like you were very kind and thoughtful of your friend. I'm not sure how she would have gotten the idea you were somehow not into helping her. Maybe I'm funny, but if I were in your place, I would say, "Praise the lord!" One less thing for me to put on my plate, I say. Let her make her own arrangements for that day, keeping in mind her event and time. Show up at her Birthday gathering if you can and see how she responds. I do think it's odd for her to say how she understands how you might not be able to make it. That sounds like she doen't want you to come. Maybe that was a mistake on her part and she was just trying to be polite. I'm not sure about that.

If she continued to be cool to me or forgot to include me in future get-to-gethers or hang outs, then I would just let it work itself out. I wouldn't push it. Unless she is a deep friend that you can't live without, then I would let it take its own course. Be available if it suits your schedule, but that's it. Friendships run through phases. Try not to blame yourself when you didn't do anything wrong.

If my friend decided to handle things herself, I would take it that she didn't want to burden me. I'd would appreciate it.

You could also just ask her what's going on. Most people don't respond to direct questions like that though. And you never know what the answer could be.
    Last edited by Debb70; 08-05-2013 at 07:30 PM.
    cablejockey likes this.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Why are you crawling to this woman BEGGING for her attention and approval? There is something pathetically not right here. You need to take the bull by the horns and get the issue out on the table, or accept that your relationship has run its course/lifespan. There are other people in the world who will appreciate your friendship. I don't think she deserves your begging; she has the upper hand and she knows it; I'm guessing she is enjoying her "position of power". She's being mean, and she knows it.

Gut, what's the update on your elderly neighbor with the intruders??
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

+ Reply to Thread