+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5832Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Can someone chime in with their thoughts on this. I'm not sure what's behind it.

My mom is 72 and has no dementia issues. She cooks something every day, usually meals. Most of the time she uses nonstick cookware. The problem is that she refuses to use the appropriate utensils to avoid scratching off the nonstick surface. I have bought her about 6 different safe, utensils to use, including flippers, spoons, tongs, etc. My dad even refused to eat food from some of the pans, so she threw them away and purchased new cookware! She is still using metal forks and spoons and scratching the surface. We have had conversations about it several times, so I don't understand why she keeps doing it. I am helping her and my dad out more now and keep seeing metal utensils in the pans where she has cooked and scratches on the pots and pans. (I have read it's unsafe to allow those particles to escape into your food.)

I know, it's her business and her kitchen, but it's also her and my dad's health.

Recently she was entertaining and I was there watching a neighbor friend whose about my mom's age, help with the food preparation. She was using a metal fork in the nonstick pan too! What's up with this. Is it just me? I just don't get it.

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

My first thought was, if you can't teach an old dog new tricks, buy her regular cookware (without the non-stick coating) and a box of Brillo pads.
    prhoshay and Photobabe like this.

I only use regular cookware. I use Pam or the store equivalent. That whole bits of non-stick stuff in your food thing scares me.

I think the reason they all keep going back to metal utensils is that those rubbery ones, or whatever they are made out of, just don't do the trick the same. They are thicker, so don't slide under the food nearly as well, and they are also more flexible rather than hard & rigid. Metal just plain works better.

I agree with AZChristian, buy her regular cookware, but get her a can of Pam too. If it won't offend her too much, you could explain to her why.
    Ellen likes this.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

Yep, Debb ... she is just used to using them and she is comfortable using them. The "safer" utensils don't operate the same.

A metal spatula/flipper/spoon etc ... just scrambles eggs better, flips those pancakes better, feels like everything is being stirred in from the bottom of the pot and gets up that little bit that's stuck on the bottom.

I use the safer utensils ... but still have all the "un-safe" ones!

How is your Mom doing with the Aluminum Cookware?
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

I don't know, maybe I've just been really lucky with my "safe" cooking utensils. I like mine MUCH better than metal. I think they're much easier to use. I have nice thin spatulas that get everything off the pan and much easier than metal does because the plastic/rubber is flexible. I use a lot of wood as well and have never had any problems. I hardly have any metal cooking utensils at all now. There might be a metal spatula here and there, but I don't use them much, so they're in the back of a drawer along with a giant stainless ladle that comes out maybe once a year when I make turkey stock.
    AZChristian likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

As to the term "regular cookware" that has to mean either cast iron ... or plain ordinary stainless steel correct?
    AZChristian likes this.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

Thanks for the input. I get it. I just have never had an issue with the plastic, rubber, wooden utensils. I have some that are thin, hard, soft, all kinds. I'm like Critical, they work fine for me. Maybe I'm just used to it and she isn't. My mom has some cookware that isn't nonstick, but she complains that she prefers the nonstick when cooking things like eggs or bacon. I may just get her a good regular skillet and see how it works out. I can't make her throw out her nonstick though. I guess she will when it gets bad enough and daddy refuses to eat from it. lol

Ref. the Pam spray. She used to use that, but my brother saw it and told her that stuff would kill her. lol I'm sure she gets frustrated with us adult kids warning her and daddy about cooking sprays, soft drinks, artificial color and flavoring, margarine, pesticides, cleaning solutions, plastic bottles, plastic bags, etc. I constantly sing the praises of recycling, but they won't touch it. lol

Oh, Echo, I haven't bought the silver, grill/serving tray I mentioned a couple of weeks ago. That was for a girl at work who just got married. I'm still thinking about it.

QVC has a great line of nonstick cookware called Cooks Essentials that you can use metal utensils with. I've used them for years and love them.

I've been reading a lot of different sections here today (SO BORED TODAY!) and saw a member with the name Newfherder and that name made me realize that I came to this site about 9 or so years ago. I registered and commented a few times. I remember that a member of the site kept private messaging me. She seemed nice so we exchanged emails and eventually phone numbers. Then she started getting really weird on me. If I wouldn't respond to an email right away, she'd get really mean. I eventually had to block her email and she started calling me all the time and leaving really nasty messages. She'd call me terrible names and said really bad things about my husband and kids.
    She freaked me out, I had to stop coming here and had to change my phone number. I never realized this was the same place until I saw the Newfherder name, then it clicked.
    I won't say who it is here in case that person is still around, but if anybody wants to message me, I'll tell you the name she used here. I want to know of she's still here!
    Last edited by NorwIndian; 07-31-2013 at 09:27 PM.
    The more I know people, the more I love my dog. ~ Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by NorwIndian View Post
    QVC has a great line of nonstick cookware called Cooks Essentials that you can use metal utensils with. I've used them for years and love them.

I've been reading a lot of different sections here today (SO BORED TODAY!) and saw a member with the name Newfherder and that name made me realize that I came to this site about 9 or so years ago. I registered and commented a few times. I remember that a member of the site kept private messaging me. She seemed nice so we exchanged emails and eventually phone numbers. Then she started getting really weird on me. If I wouldn't respond to an email right away, she'd get really mean. I eventually had to block her email and she started calling me all the time and leaving really nasty messages. She'd call me terrible names and said really bad things about my husband and kids.
    She freaked me out, I had to stop coming here and had to change my phone number. I never realized this was the same place until I saw the Newfherder name, then it clicked.
    I won't say who it is here in case that person is still around, but if anybody wants to message me, I'll tell you the name she used here. I want to know of she's still here!
    Yipes! A FORT stalker!
    I've never had even the slightest issue with anyone here. Of course, I wouldn't give out my personal phone number out to anyone. Only very close friends even know my cell number. I'm overly careful (obsessive) like that.

I hope whoever it is, is no longer here & if they are, they've grown out of that & don't respond.

We like you. I hope you feel comfortable this time & stick around.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

I vaguely remember her saying she had been banned from here. I could be mistaken though, it's been a long time.
    I like you guys too! Thank you for saying that!
    I'm planning on sticking around. I've changed since then, nobody will chase me out of anywhere ever again!

I normally don't give out my number either but she seemed so nice. Everything I would say she would give me a "me too" and I thought we had a lot in common. She called me her "soul twin" which looking back is a little weird.

I was never a big internet person until recently. After my accident I found another TV website and the people there were so mean and negative about everything. I left that place after a few weeks. I couldn't take the negativity there.
    I like it here. I like all of you guys and this place is a great place to kill time.

Thank you all for always being so nice to me.
    The more I know people, the more I love my dog. ~ Mark Twain

+ Reply to Thread