+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6438Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

If you can't make the excellent suggests made by AZ and Paul work then maybe you could go to Plan B which would be to enlist the help of your daughter in convincing this friend of hers that a trip to a playground, the local swimming hole or the library might be more suitable destinations for the kids.

As a last resort you might tell her you are on new pain meds and they make you very sleepy so you need to take a nap now. Then close your eyes and pretend you are falling asleep.
    inthegarden and AZChristian like this.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend...never owned a dog.

You have some good suggestions for handling April and her kids. You are not being unreasonable at all.

After surgery, your nerves are more stained than normal and even if you hadn't had surgery, unruly kids shouldn't ruin your peace in your own home. The parent who allows it is the rude one. She's doing her kids no favor either. Other people won't want them around either.

There's really no excuse and I don't tolerate it in my home. I'm not mean about it, but I am very blunt. If the parents don't speak up, I do. I say, no we don't run down the halls and jump off the dining table in this house. You can sit and watch the tv or color with these crayons. And you will need to use your indoor voice. I keep a smile, but will not let them run wild.

The parents are initially insulted, (I can tell from their expression.) but after they get that I don't allow that crap, they adjust and when the kids some back, they are no problem. lol
    inthegarden and AZChristian like this.

When in situations similar to this I have a habit of being direct. NO, that DOESN'T mean saying: "Hey April, why don't you tone it down 10 or so notches.....and keep those brats out of my house."

Rather, you could tell her that with the medication & injury you've found youself getting exhausted easily & your nerves are much more frazzled, and that unfortunately children seem to be something you have a hard time dealing with. You find yourself a nervous wreck around them & that's not good for your healing. Tell her you've really appreciated the time she's spent with you, but you feel you'd be better off just resting. If you need anything you'll be sure to keep her in mind. Then don't take "no" for an answer.

Sure, she may be offended, but if she has any kind of character, she'll let it go & accept what you tell her. If not, it's her issue, not yours. You've tried to be tactful.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I vote for the tactful truth, that way you won't have to make sure you have a good memory. That would just make for more stress.
    inthegarden likes this.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Thank you all so much! I don't feel quite as guilty about my feelings now. I really appreciate all of the advice.
    She's supposed to come over tomorrow and I'm going to talk to her. Her oldest starts kindergarten next month so I think I'll use that, tell her she should spend this time with her before she starts school, etc.
    I am trying to do more things on my own so I can also use that.
    April is great at parties, she's the loud, funny girl who gets everybody else going. She was a blast at my daughter's bachelorette party but when I just need some peace and quiet, she can grate on my nerves a little.

Thanks again.
    I'm so happy I found this place! Everybody here is so nice.

I have in my head what I'm going to say to her, I just hope it comes out right.
    ClosetRTWatcher and Photobabe like this.
    ~You can't buy love. But you can rescue it~

Went to renew my car registration yesterday, and ended up having to talk about aspects of my habits that I didn't want to; the clerk just kept asking questions; it actually was kind of funny when I had to produce the answers. I give her the envelope with all of my information in it, and there's my decal from the past year, still stapled to the registration that I am renewing, . I have this habit of not putting my decal on the car....I just don't tend to get around to it. My car has been without an current decal for 2 years, and now it's 2 years and 1 month; I had to explain all off that. Next, I have to submit my credit card and driver's license for ID; well, they are in 2 different names. I have to provide the story about WHY they are in 2 different names; I married in the 80s, divorced in the 90s, and never changed my license to my married name, but everything else shows my maiden name as my middle name, my married name as my last name. My DL shows me with my original middle initial and maiden name, with my picture, of course. It's hard to see one of my last names on my credit card unless you look closely. The clerk was about to refuse my payment because of what looked like documents in 2 different names. The look of bewilderment on her face was hilarious as I told my story. She finally understood, and we completed our business. Would you believe that NOBODY has ever asked me all of that? Why do I do that to myself? I don't know, but that seems to be my life. Still don't have that stupid decal on my car.
    Miss Scarlet likes this.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Prhoshay, you are too funny! You are lucky you haven't been stopped by the police for not having your registration displayed. In NC they are strict about things like that.

Do you procrastinate about other things? I have that problem. I think I was born with it. lol

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

NorwIndian . . . I tend to be the "April" in a group. Thank you for reminding me that I need to be more sensitive to my surroundings before letting my "personality" take things over. Seriously . . . I needed to read this!

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

I always put my registration decal on my car as soon as I get it. The police are strict in my area and if I didn't have it, I would be sure to get a ticket for it. I did get a notice from code enforcement in my neighborhood one year when I was a month late renewing my license plate. It had totally slipped my mind until they pointed out it was out of date.
    Current Pools: Face Off 7, Project Runway 13
    New Pools: DWTS 19, Registration deadline: September 22nd, Survivor 29, Registration deadline: October 1st,
    Amazing Race 25, Registration deadline: October 3rd

Honestly, I think I might put on the new decal more quickly if they'd attach an alcohol prep to the registration form (that would encourage/enable me to come straight out of the clerk's office and take care of the task immediately; I usually need to clean off the area before putting a new one on. As it stands now, I just never remember to do it when I pull into the driveway....busy, distracting thoughts! Fortunately, my car is not a flashy one, nor do I tend to speed. I have a lot of police officer friends, so I know how to talk my way around them. I DO keep my envelope with my registration information immediately over my visor, just in case I am stopped. What I DO know is that the police aren't going to stop somebody for expired registration unless they are just really bored with nothing else to do, which they seldom are and, even if they did, I'd beat it in court, should it really come to that....which it wouldn't. Once again, I promise that I'm going to do it.

+ Reply to Thread