+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6749Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2180325;
    I have 10 two liter bottles of diet caffiene free coke. I am hoarding in case for some reason the supply runs dry or they quit making it.
    That would barely take me past breakfast.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane;2180430;
    Just be careful and make sure you consume those diet soft drinks before they go bad. The sugar substitutes don't last as long and can taste "sour." (I actually prefer the taste of diet caffeine free Coke to the regular kind!)
    I can attest to that! I once found a very old can of Diet Pepsi in my van and decided to have some fun with it. I shook it up, set it on some bricks, and shot it with a pellet gun. The entry wound was pellet-sized, but the exit wound blew out the whole back-side of the can. Most impressive!
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by Newfherder;2180450;
    That would barely take me past breakfast.
    I can attest to that! I once found a very old can of Diet Pepsi in my van and decided to have some fun with it. I shook it up, set it on some bricks, and shot it with a pellet gun. The entry wound was pellet-sized, but the exit wound blew out the whole back-side of the can. Most impressive!
    Sounds like something my husband would do. He once blew up a bomb (he maintains it was a "dust ignitor"-supposed to be like a flash and no sound, but they gave it too much electricity. It blew up and sounded like a bomb to me and the police that showed up thought it was a bomb)
    He did this in my parents driveway before he even started dating me. He had come over to my house with other friends. When I did start dating him my parents were THRILLED! Did I mention the blowing up happened at 1 a.m.?

As for the diet caff. free coke. I probably drink way too much of it. My husband says that if I could bathe in it I would. Yes, my name is MyRosieDog and I am addicted to Diet Caffiene Free Coke.

I have a question and I'm just sort of wondering what others think. I am just kind of bewildered.
    We were invited to a friends for dinner last night. She said that we would be having lasagna, rolls and bread and I offered to bring a dessert, which I did.
    When we arrive, she is busy baking cookies. In fact her house looked like a cookie factory as she had about 10 different kinds. The dining room table was lined with tins for cookies and they had cookies on racks cooling everywhere. she tells me she bakes starting in Nov. and gives different cookies as gifts. So on and on she bakes as we sit there chatting. Ok, I would have probably invited my guests to sit down before dinner in the family or living room, but we sat in the kitchen and watched her bake. Our kids were at youth group, so the husbands go pick them up and then we get ready to eat dinner. She pulls the lasagna out of the oven and it's a Frozen
    family size lasagna-I know because she told me and It was in an aluminum pan with the wrapper still on the top that you pull off after its finished cooking. She also did a bag salad (granted, I LOVE bag salads for the convenience and use them myself, even with company) and we had frozen rolls and yes, I've done that too. But I was kind of flabbergasted that we were invited over for dinner and served frozen lasagna.
    I mean, obviously she cooks as she kept baking cookies even after dinner, she never stopped. It was kind of weird.

If I invite people over for dinner, I give them my full attention except when I am actually getting dinner on the table. I wouldn't be baking cookies the entire time they were over (unless it was a very close friend who came over for coffee and I was already baking).
    But they asked us over a week ago to dinner. And I would have DIED of embarrassment if I had served a frozen meal to my guests. When I invite people over to eat, I cook them a meal or I wouldn't have asked them over.

Any thoughts? I mean it was nice of them to ask us and we did enjoy it, but she was distracted the whole time with the massive amounts of cookies going in and coming out of the oven and we all came home and ate leftovers as none of us ate much of the frozen lasagna as it was not very good.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

It seems kind of strange to me that someone would invite friends and then spend the entire time baking instead of visiting. I wouldn't be so upset about the frozen lasagna. Some people just aren't into cooking (like me!). Baking and cooking are two different things. But I would be highly insulted if a friend invited me to dinner and then baked the entire time.

My family was invited to dinner at a friend's house last night also. We had great food (homemade chowder and chili), and my friend and I visited while the guys all "bonded" over the Giants-Eagles football game. (Go Eagles!) A good time was had by all.

I have a friend that can't sit still even with company and it absolutely drives me crazy--so much so--that when I have friends over, to have more time to enjoy each others company, I just put the dishes in the sink and don't fuss with major clean up.

But I have been guilty of serving frozen lasagna...(when I was working full time and going to school full time).....now...it makes me cringe just to think that I served that stuff to company...
    I've learned that you shouldn't go through life with a catcher's mitt on both hands; you need to be able to throw something back.
    Maya Angelou

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    One quick question, please...completely off the subject...how often does People magazine come out?
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    myrosiedog, I know some great cooks and I know some people who can barely heat up a frozen pizza. My guess is she has been eating frozen/precooked food for so long that to her, that IS homecooking. Also, until I got married, I could barely cook anything in terms of meals...but I was a whiz at baking pies, cakes, cookies. So that's probably where she shows off. Now, that said, I do have a small repertory of meals I can make really well (roast chicken, pastas, a really good meatloaf etc.)--and now I have a few more--so that said, I usually cook one of those when we invite someone over and they leave thinking I can actually cook! (Also, when I serve precooked food, I usually hide the wrappers so no one knows!)

As for the cookie making...well...that's a little odd/rude. Maybe she thinks you're better friends than you actually are and that you wouldn't mind? I think she should've finished making the cookies before you got there (or made them after you left)...but I don't think she should've entertained you in the kitchen.

But they seem like nice people. She just has different ideas of entertaining! Did she give you any cookies when you left?

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;2181501;
    One quick question, please...completely off the subject...how often does People magazine come out?
    Weekly!

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    Thanks, Lois!

My friends and I all gravitate toward the kitchen, and usually end up jumping right in and doing things while gabbing! Everybody ends up gathered around the kitchen table and island.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog
    I'm going with the cake because right now, its easy and fast and I don't have to do much. In fact, I might be able to bribe the teenager to do it!
    This is what you said in the Recipe thread regarding taking a dessert for this dinner. I don't see a lot of difference between her making a frozen lasagna and you taking a cake made from a mix with canned frosting. People are busy this time of year and the important thing is that you got in invitation to spend time with friends and celebrate the season, not whether or not she slaved over a gourmet meal.
    Last edited by Marleybone; 12-18-2006 at 12:44 PM.

Instead of cake from a box, I think that you should make baklava from scratch
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by Marleybone;2181663;
    This is what you said in the Recipe thread regarding taking a dessert for this dinner. I don't see a lot of difference between her making a frozen lasagna and you taking a cake made from a mix with canned frosting. People are busy this time of year and the important thing is that you got in invitation to spend time with friends and celebrate the season, not whether or not she slaved over a gourmet meal.
    Well my cake from a box at least was doctored up a bit so it didn't look like a box cake and at least I did make that, it wasn't from scratch, but I still had to put forth some effort to make it. I didn't buy one from the bakery or God forbid those awful frozen ones. The layers were swirled with red and green food coloring and I decorated the top with crushed candy canes and a couple whole ones.

I don't mind being entertained in the kitchen. I am used to that. It was just the incessant baking that was kind of distracting and no, we were not offered cookies to take home. Plus we ate dinner with her teenage son holding a lizard on his shoulder. That kind of grossed me out.

As for the Frozen lasagna, I understand what you all are saying. It's not something I would do, but now I have a different perspective on it and I know not everyone is a decent cook. HOWEVER, I have heard her tell me on a couple of occasions that she makes a lot of casseroles for the church, so am assuming she cooks, or those could be frozen too. Who knows, but anyway, I'm now seeing that its not unusual. Not something I would do, but I am open minded enough to be able to see others views on it and change my way of thinking about it.

Still think the cookie baking was rude though. Open minded or not.

And it was nice to be invited to dinner. I didn't mean to sound ungrateful because I wasn't. Just a little bewildered and wondered if it was normal behavior as I've not encountered thsi situation before.

Quote Originally Posted by Newfherder;2181714;
    Instead of cake from a box, I think that you should make baklava from scratch
    Newf, if you come to dinner (with the doggies, you can't come alone), I will make baklava from scratch. In fact we are having a little get together on Jan. 8 to watch a certain game on tv. I'd make you baklava and no, wouldn't poisen it either! I might make you sit outside and watch the tv through the window, but you'd have the baklava to eat while you were out there!
    Last edited by MRD; 12-18-2006 at 01:41 PM.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

+ Reply to Thread