+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree7131Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

A frozen Pizza...
    I know there are good frozen pizzas.

If I could, I wouldn't cook every meal. I would only cook when I wanted too.
    Fanny Mare likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by inthegarden View Post
    A frozen Pizza...
    I know there are good frozen pizzas.

If I could, I wouldn't cook every meal. I would only cook when I wanted too.
    OMG there are great frozen pizzas! thin crust, whole wheat. Way cheaper than ordering one, and I can add my own toppings
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

FoRTer

^ This reminds me of my mom's comments while she was visiting last week. I like to make things from scratch, and her comment for just about everything I made (pizza, bread, pickles, etc.) was, "you know you can buy this at the store already made."

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

That is precious!!!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

^ This reminds me of my mom's comments while she was visiting last week. I like to make things from scratch, and her comment for just about everything I made (pizza, bread, pickles, etc.) was, "you know you can buy this at the store already made."
    The laughing face at the end of this seems to indicate that you found this amusing (especially since your mother was the one advising the store-bought option).

On the other side of that type of interaction . . . Many years ago, I was talking to a counselor about the fact that my mother's constant criticism had the ability to make me feel like I was 5 years old, even though I was married and had two kids of my own. He asked for a specific example.

I told him that when I set the table for dinner one night, although it was a very nice dinner and everything turned out really nicely, her only comment was, "Wow - look at the wrinkles in this tablecloth." (For the record, they weren't wrinkles, they were creases from folding.) My counselor gave me an example of a comeback that changed my outlook on lots of things. "If she does it again, get up from the table, pull out the iron, plug it in close to her, turn it on, and sit it next to her on the table. Tell her that the creases don't bother you, but if they bother her, she's the one who should iron them."

Ever since then, I've done a lot better at determining whether someone's comments are my problem or theirs . . . and if they're their problem, I let them handle it. And it also helped me realize that I AM a grown-up, and I don't have to let other people demean me.

FoRTer

AZChristian, that's awesome advice! I'm sorry your mom was so critical; glad you found a healthy way out of that.
    I think my mom was commenting because she saw my efforts as too much, so I laughed them off... but at the time a part of me felt like I should do less so as not to irritate her. ( :eyeroll on myself for that)
    inthegarden likes this.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

In my house, we always had a huge sense of humor! Thank goodness!
    coltnlasma likes this.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    In my house, we always had a huge sense of humor Thank goodness!
    That's always good to hear. I have a wicked sense of humor, its just my in-laws don't understand it. My father and I could carry on and be entertainment for hours, how I miss him, and the laughs. Hubby has inherited some of my humor, and his mom doesn't get it
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

A sense of humor is so important. When people ask for marital advice from Mr.Coz or me it is something we always say. (nevermind that they started asking at 10 years - it makes more sense at 20 but I still feel since my great-grandparents were married 66 years that we have a long way to go to get to that point!)

I think it's important never to take oneself too seriously. Too much drama can create a ton of problems whereas being able to laugh a situation off smoothes the way. Of course I'm not talking about being degraded or anything like that, but just making light of situations that I've seen drama-filled people be miserable over.

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by justCoz View Post
    A sense of humor is so important. When people ask for marital advice from Mr.Coz or me it is something we always say. (nevermind that they started asking at 10 years - it makes more sense at 20 but I still feel since my great-grandparents were married 66 years that we have a long way to go to get to that point!)

I think it's important never to take oneself too seriously. Too much drama can create a ton of problems whereas being able to laugh a situation off smoothes the way. Of course I'm not talking about being degraded or anything like that, but just making light of situations that I've seen drama-filled people be miserable over.
    We're going to celebrate our 49th anniversary in a week. When people ask us our secret, we tell them this; "We laugh together EVERY day. And fortunately, the older we get, the easier that is. Sometimes we just have to look in the mirror."

+ Reply to Thread