+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5838Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Quote Originally Posted by echo226 View Post
    Did I mess something up? I thought this was in the CELight0 thread.
    I was just following you
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Mare View Post
    I was just following you
    I am so sorry to have led you astray. If the mods are around maybe they will move us.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

What is your impression of a wife/mother, in her mid 30's, who never cooks a meal for her family? (Okay, maybe two meals per year.) The rest of the time, it's take out, pick up, fast food, and snack food. She has plenty of cook books, nice kitchen and cookware. Just curious.

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

Well, if she's a bad cook, she's probably doing the family a favor by NOT cooking for them!
    prhoshay and Ellen like this.
    Current Pools: Masterchef 5, So You Think You Can Dance 11
    Upcoming Pools: Face Off 7 Registration Deadline: July 29th, Project Runway 13 Registration Deadline: July 31st

I promise you the straps don't move It is the only bra I wear now. Not the most sexy of looks but my back pain is gone and I don't have divots in my shoulders from the straps.
    Debb70 likes this.
    That was a great message! And I've had a terrible day, so thank you.I love random acts of kindness.Really, realy appreciated.Scott- RIP SDL<3

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    What is your impression of a wife/mother, in her mid 30's, who never cooks a meal for her family? (Okay, maybe two meals per year.) The rest of the time, it's take out, pick up, fast food, and snack food. She has plenty of cook books, nice kitchen and cookware. Just curious.
    Depends on why, quite frankly. Is she working? While we don't do takeout every night (but we do, on average, do it a few times a week), we do do simple foods most nights through the week for dinner. The reason being both my husband and I are getting home after 6pm with the kids. I am not going to make them wait 45 minutes while I cook a full meal. And I don't want to be away from them, since I only really get to see them for an hour or so at night. In the winter, I will do crock pot meals sometimes - but I will be honest and say that my kids really don't like the crock pot meals. As long as they are getting their fruits and vegetables and eating healthy for the most part, I really don't sweat it if gourmet cuisine at my house is mac n cheese.
    prhoshay likes this.

Kip
    FORT Fogey Shoot The Gems Hard Champion, Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    Lazy? Too busy to cook? Doesn't know how to cook?

Whatever her reason for not cooking, with the fast food, the family's diet is likely high in fat, and low in vitamins & minerals that come from fruits and vegetables.

With the "pick up" food, they could be eating well-balanced meals - or it could be more like fast food- depending on what they're ordering.

The snack food is likely high in salt, fat, and sugar.

Cooking a healthy meal doesn't need to take a lot of time. And, depending on the ages of the kids, she could get the kids involved and spend some quality time with them preparing dinner.

Someone needs to show her how to use a crockpot - throw some meat and vegetables in it in the morning and come home to a cooked meal.

On weekends I do the groceries, come home, and freezer bag (food saver) all the meat with various marinades or precook curries, chillis etc. I then just grab a bag of what I want in the morning and dinner takes less thought. I find we eat out more if I haven't pretty-planned because I am brain dead at the end of the day.
    That was a great message! And I've had a terrible day, so thank you.I love random acts of kindness.Really, realy appreciated.Scott- RIP SDL<3

She knows how to cook. She has prepared and brought covered dishes to events before when it was required and they tasted great. But that's the only time she cooks, except for maybe twice a year. Time is not the issue, since she gets off work early two days per week and is off on weekends and holidays, but doesn't cook then either.

She refuses to crock pot anything. The pick up and take out food consists of McDonald's, tacos, fried chicken, basically horrible food if you eat it as your steady diet. They complain of needing to lose weight all the time. She goes to the gym a lot too.

I guess I just don't get how a woman never has the yearning to prepare her family a nice meal, even if it's out of a can or package, even on weekends or days off. I can understand when you are busy, rushed, or tired, but to never do it, strikes me as odd. I just don't get it. Plus, it's very expensive to eat out every night.

Much like tbamom, I'd say pick a day and start meals for 6 days. For example, make a large pot of Chile, Spaghetti sauce, even Sloppy Joe's. Roast a chicken or chicken parts, or roast meats. Make meatloaf, lasagna .... etc. Then freeze the cooked entrees. They can be easily thawed in the microwave. For accompaniments, I don't have a huge objection to frozen vegetables or occasionally canned. Mac and Cheese, micro-baked potatoes are easy/quick enough.
    A salad and done.

Fast food can be one night if they choose. I don't understand why when she makes a covered dish to bring, she doesn't make 2 and freeze one for her family.

I know a couple where the wife doesn't cook much, but the hubby does the cooking and freezing ... with some things on the grill.

I guess it isn't clear to me what's going on. Maybe neither of them like to cook. Do they eat on paper plates with disposable utensils too?

I guess they can choose for themselves, but they are doing the kids a disservice.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

+ Reply to Thread