+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5866Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    That's how I feel - I keep trying to get my daughter to choose where SHE wants to go and I'll just enjoy trailing in her wake.
    I guess I would choose Austria. I went to Europe many years ago and that is the one place that intrigued me, but I didn't get to stop.
    (I also lost my helmet in the Austrian Alps ... but that's a story for another time. )

If your pleasure is the Sound of Music or Mozart ... you would probably enjoy it.

Also ... Amstedam itself has a LOT going on. Just choose your coffee shops carefully.
    Debb70 likes this.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

Oh yes, the official Amsterdam Coffee shops have a green and white sticker in their window. That's what I read online, anyway. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Kip View Post
    The mother of one of my DILs works for an airline, so she and my son sometimes fly standby on the mother's family passes. The system is based on one's ranking. Employees have a higher rank than family members; a pilot would have a higher rank than a flight attendent; etc. You can log on and see where you would be in the queue for various flights. So up until the time they need to leave for the airport, they're online checking how many people are ahead of them.

Most of the time it works out pretty well if you can fly at less popular times. The other thing is to go for a flight that has several flights available after it, so if you don't get on the first one, you hopefully don't have to wait more than a couple of hours for the next one. Onc emy DIL's sister couldn't get out of an overseas destination for a week. And once, when my son came home for a funeral from the Philippines (where he was working for a year), to get back, he had to fly from San Francisco to Chicago to the Philippines. But you can't beat the price!

Edited to add: I'm sure you'll have a great time whereever you go. Play it by ear. If you're having a great time in Amsterdam and there's more you want to see there, stay there. If you feel like moving on, go for it.
    She and her husband are both pilots, so there's always the jump seat in the cockpit for them, but it's not very comfortable. She told me there's a good chance we'll fly first class since it doesn't fill up as fast as coach. So she told me I had to wear something nice, but comfortable on the plane. Comfort is my first requirement from clothes, so that's no problem.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter View Post
    She and her husband are both pilots, so there's always the jump seat in the cockpit for them, but it's not very comfortable. She told me there's a good chance we'll fly first class since it doesn't fill up as fast as coach. So she told me I had to wear something nice, but comfortable on the plane. Comfort is my first requirement from clothes, so that's no problem.
    How long is the flight?

ETA.... I think perhaps 8-10 hours?
    Last edited by echo226; 07-18-2013 at 05:19 PM.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

First class is really nice. I recently checked the rates for business class from NY to London roundtrip and they were between $1900 and $3000.! First class would be even more, so you are getting a nice deal flying free!

Gut - I'm totally late to the part re: your house sitter. I've heard a number of similar stories about bad house sitters lately. A good friend of mine just had someone house and dog-sit for her while she was in Europe for three weeks. She paid this girl upwards of nearly $800....or, rather, she and her best friend paid. They went on the trip together and her friend's dog was moved down to her house while they were gone. So, all the girl had to do was sleep at the house, feed/water and walk the dogs and bring in the mail. Easy peasy, right?

My friend got back to find a sofa and chair chewed to oblivion, as well as other furniture destroyed. Did I mention that her cattle dog is a bit neurotic (understatement)? It looked like the girl - who was recommended by a friend - never even slept at the house and my friend said that the girl looked "shell shocked" when she saw the condition of the house. My friend has since asked several neighbors and NONE of them remember seeing the girl's car. She had no explanation for the condition of the house.

My friend is WAY too nice to do anything; she's just letting is go and, of course, NEVER hiring this girl again. I told her she should take the price of the new furniture out of what she was going to pay this person. She was given a long list of contacts, including me and the vet. Wouldn't you - if you were in that situation and the dog destroyed ONE piece of furniture - maybe call someone or talk to the vet? Clearly, she didn't even see the damage because she was running in to throw down food and water and then leaving.

I told my friend that, the next time she goes out of town, I'll take care of her house and her dog.....and I'll actually stay there and prevent her dog from going mental, or at least MORE mental

Seriously though, what the hell is wrong with people? How could you, in good conscience, take money from someone after that?

As to your vacation, you and I may be exact opposites. While I do like to see the sights and taste local cuisine, the first thing on my list is ALWAYS museums! If I were anywhere near Austria, I'd be headed to Vienna. No question.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I hope this is the right place to ask this. I apologize if it's not. Can anybody recommend any good game apps? I like word games and puzzle games, nothing to stressful. I'm playing one now called "Bubble Worlds" that I really like but I've gotten as far as I can go on it.
    I have an Android phone.
    Thank you!
    The more I know people, the more I love my dog. ~ Mark Twain

I don't have anything that uses apps, but if there's one for Spider Solitaire, I used to be addicted to that on my old computer. When this one didn't come with it, I never added it because I spent way too much time playing it. My sister gives it up every year for lent.
    Count your blessings!

It's not an app, but a few years ago I found a CD with loads & loads of different Solitare games on it. I still use it all the time. I've never been one for those "get through the maze" or "levels" or "story" or "kill the other guy" games. I like card games, word games & number games.
    When you are out, or get someone else to go out, bring one of those home. They're pretty cheap. I think mine was $5.00 on a sale table.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Is anyone familiar with Cacique bras? I've heard women talking about how much they like them.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

+ Reply to Thread